New Pool Pump Suggestions

mstng

Hello,

Have a super pump 1hp that has served me well for 15 years until recently. I have decided to replace the entire unit rather than just the motor. What I have cross references to a hayward super pump sp2607X10. The sizing seems right, never had a problem and does the job.

I can replace it for $300 but was curious what other options I should consider. Any other brands you folks like?. Please any suggestions.

Thanks for your time

Hello,

Have a super pump 1hp that has served me well for 15 years until recently. I have decided to replace the entire unit rather than just the motor. What I have cross references to a hayward super pump sp2607X10. The sizing seems right, never had a problem and does the job.

I can replace it for $300 but was curious what other options I should consider. Any other brands you folks like?. Please any suggestions.

Thanks for your time

For a good reliable fast priming and low cost pump my opinion is you can't beat the Super Pump from Hayward

Hello,

Thanks for your time

For a good reliable fast priming and low cost pump my opinion is you can't beat the Super Pump from Hayward

Thanks for the response. I hear many good things about this pump. Is 15 years doing good for a motor?

Thanks for the responses. Because of your help I am now leaning towards a 2 speed super pump. Would I use the same specs for a two speed pump. Still 1 Hp? etc. Would a variable speed be even better or would I be sacrificing hayward quality or overkill?

My wife is always on my case about running the pump too long (she doesn't have to clean it) and after showing her the savings with 2 speeds, that is what she wants.

Grateful for your expertise guys....btw, I am in north Florida with a screened in 20000 gal pool.

Thanks for the responses. Because of your help I am now leaning towards a 2 speed super pump. Would I use the same specs for a two speed pump. Still 1 Hp? etc. Would a variable speed be even better or would I be sacrificing hayward quality or overkill?

My wife is always on my case about running the pump too long (she doesn't have to clean it) and after showing her the savings with 2 speeds, that is what she wants.

Grateful for your expertise guys....btw, I am in north Florida with a screened in 20000 gal pool.

15 years is VERY VERY good, at least compared to the pumps that are exposed to the outdoors up here.

I don't think you could go wrong with the 2 Speed Hayward Superpump. That and the Pentair Whisperflo are the only two I would install new.

The correct pump depends on several factors. Can you describe what other equipment you have?

If you're going to use low speed most of the time, you want to make sure that there is enough flow for equipment like salt chlorinators and heaters.

Cartridge and sand filters don't have minimum flow requirements for filtering. Sand does have a minimum flow rate required for backwashing. For backwashing, you would use the high speed. DE does have minimum flow rates for filtering and backwashing.

Another issue with low speed operation is that the skimmers will not have very good pull.

Each pool is different and you will have to determine the right run-times for your pool.

A variable speed, or variable flow, pump will give you more flexibility by giving you more control over the flow rate. This can be helpful in tuning the pump to your exact needs. I think that it is a good choice in some situations, but most of the time a two speed pump will be good enough if it is sized properly.

Check the SP2610X152S and the

WhisperFlo for a two-speed pump.

Note: A two-speed pump will not work for every situation. Some people find that the low speed is too slow for them. Some people prefer to have the higher continuous flow.

Can't thank you guys enough for the responses.

I am going to do it right and go out and measure everything accurately and then see what you guys think.

I only have the sand filter and back washing that runs through PVC down hill to the woods. Don't usually have much in the pool due to the screen cover, but do have problems with small dirt particles that make it's way through the filter. I usually have to vacuum to waste as I don't have a cleaner. The shark looks interesting and may be more efficient that wasting water frequently through the waste but need to deal with the pump first.

Thanks again

mstng,

Please consider using Pentairs variable speed or variable flow pumps. These are absolute best pumps out there for residential use and carry a 3 year warranty to back it up. You ony get a 1 year from Hayward.

Dirty pool, use a Smart Pool NitroXL over the Hayward brand any day. No vac hoses and no thought needed. An A.I. robot is what you want. My opinion is to change your filter rather than using a robotic cleaner if money is an object. Use a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter over any conventional sand filter. Visit Pentairs website and review the differences between cartridge, sand and DE filters. The particulates you will remove from the water will be far smaller with a cartridge filter over sand. DE is the best but not as necessary with an enclosure over the pool.

The key to choosing the correct pump will be based on the design flow rate of the filter. The pump should be sized to provide about 75-90 % of the design flow rate of the filter at high speed.

Filter........Design flow rate........Optimum flow rate

S220T...............52..........................39-47

S244T..............62...........................47-56

S270T..............74...........................56-67

I think that if you have one of these filters then the SP2607X102S would be a good choice. Most of the time you would use the lower speed to save electricity. You would use the higher speed mainly for backwashing and during times where a higher flow rate is desired, such as during times of high bather load.

Sand does not need to be changed very often if the pool chemistry is properly maintained. Your filter may be channeling due to excessive flow rates. Excessive flow rates can cause holes in the sand, which will allow dirt to get through. Excessive flow rates can also cause loss of sand while backwashing.

What was your filter pressure after backwashing and at what pressure did you backwash?

I am ashamed to say that the pressure gauge has been inoperable for several years. I became obsessive about back washing and probably did it way to much thinking that would improve the fine dirt returning to the pool from the pump. From what I am learning from you guys it may have had the opposite effect.

There is obviously more science to this pool pump and filter than I thought.

I look forward to getting some good spec numbers, maybe a few pictures and see what you guys can come up with.

Thanks for your time

Hello folks, Back again with some numbers.

Pool size is rectangular 32x15...20,000 gallons

The pump and filter are outside the screen at the same level as the pool, no more than 20 feet from the shallow end of the pool (not sure how to calculate feet of head)

Pipe size is 2 inches everywhere

Sand filter is a 244T with 62GPM flow rate backwash

Replacing a standard one speed 1 HP hayward super pump

I run no other equipment with the pump

Pool is screened thus I have no problems with large debris but frequent problems with small dirt being returned.

Bather load is probably on the very light side

Not planning on moving anytime soon and am most interested in efficiency. I would pay more now for equipment that would pay off down the road.

I am also interested in possibly changing the filter to a different method if that would solve my dirt problem. A consideration is that I haven't been using the sand filter properly. Too frequent back washing and no pressure gauge. Wasting too much water vacuuming to waste.

I appreciate all the contributions thus far, and am very interested in what potential setup, pump and filter you guys would propose using the above information. Can I go less than 1 HP? Will I still have dirt issues if I use the current filter given the info above? What combination's HP, flow rate, filter etc would you guys use?

Thanks for the help thus far

Hello quantumchromodynamics,

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. You mention 2 different hayward pumps above. Given the new info above which one would you suggest? If I were to want a cartridge type filter how would that change the pump size rec.

Was looking at the pentair products and there seems to be quite the premium regarding price. If I hadn't had a super pump for 15 years without problems I would have considered the Pentair, but unless I am missing something I will probably stick to the hayward for now. Still undecided on changing the filter system.

I think that the Hayward SP2607X102S two-speed pump should work well.

Your sand filter should not be allowing dirt to go through. There may be some damage to the multiport valve that is allowing some water to bypass the filter. Disassemble the multiport valve and check for damage. Replace any damaged gaskets or other damaged parts. Get a new pressure gauge.

If the multiport valve is good, then you will need to check the sand for any channeling. You could remove and replace all of the sand if you want. Be sure to check the internal pipes for damage when you get all of the sand out.

You could switch to a cartridge or a DE filter if you wanted to get water that is cleaner and more polished. DE and cartridge will filter out finer particles than a sand filter. You could use the same size pump.

For a cartridge filter, I recommend the Hayward C751 or the C900. For DE, I recommend the Hayward DE3620.

quantumchromodynamics,

You are a terrific help. I have the dual speed 1 hp hayward on order. I plan to take the filter apart like you described and see what is going on. Give it a try for a while, change the sand etc. I can change to one of the other types you suggested later on if I want.

Thanks again for guiding me through this.

Hello again folks,

Just received the pool pump and I am stumped. The model number on the pump itself is SP2607X102S which is what I wanted but the motor label is confusing. This is supposed to be 1HP but the labeling is as such:

Part number 7 193823 01

Serial BZ06-14

TypeP56J

SP1615-z-2-bsc

HP-1.5- .25 ????????????

Amps 230 volts9.1/3.4

Do I have a 1.5 HP motor?. Is the incorrect motor on this pump?

According to this the total H.P should be 1.0. I don't know why it is stating 1.5 H.P. What is the S.F (service factor) of the pump?

I know....It was supposed to be

The SF is 1.30

type cxpm

Another stupid question....If this is 1.5 HP would the low speed be just as economical as the 1 HP?

It looks like they used a bigger motor than it shows on the brochure. Contact the dealer you bough the pump from and ask then why it is a bigger motor. Also, e-mail Hayward and ask them about it. You might want to exchange it for the smaller motor. Post back what the dealer and Hayward have to say.

The low speed should be about the same efficiency. I think that the high speed might be a little more than ideal

That's the wrong motor for that pump. That motor goes to pump model number SP2610X152S, which is the next size up. Your motor model number should start with SP-1610, not SP-1615.

If they used the right sized impeller for the 1 H.P pump, then it should not make too much difference. Having a slightly larger motor should be fine. See what Hayward has to say.

You should be able to check what impeller is installed in the pump since Hayward usually puts a part # on the it. Once that is known, you can then match the motor to it.

Also, if necessary you can generally use a motor up to twice the required size without too much impact although it would be a good idea not to oversize more than needed. Induction motors have a fairly wide operating range and don't lose too much efficiency unless the load drops below 50% of rating. The power draw of the motor is primarily determined by the impeller size and an oversized motor will usually have a lower power factor. The impact of this is that the current draw may be higher but the power draw should be about the same as a smaller motor.

You should be able to check what impeller is installed in the pump since Hayward usually puts a part # on the it. Once that is known, you can then match the motor to it.

Hi, Mark, since this is a new 2-speed pump, I would think that it would be best if the customer didn't have to disassemble the pump to see what impeller was used.

Also, if necessary you can generally use a motor up to twice the required size without too much impact although it would be a good idea not to oversize more than needed. Induction motors have a fairly wide operating range and don't lose too much efficiency unless the load drops below 50% of rating.

Part of my concern is that the pump might be oversized for the filter. Although, if the impeller is the right one for the pump, I think it should be OK, right?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Overall, I think that since this is a brand new pump, everything should be as expected. I think that this is something the dealer or Hayward should make right with an exchange.