Is Diamond Brite Much Better Than Marcite Finish?

Gavin

Diamondbrite or any other enhanced surface is far better than regular marcite for a variety of reasons. If you think about what standard marcite is composed of versus Diamondbrite or other similar products you will find it is like comparing concrete with no aggregate in it versus one with none.

The concrete with the aggregate is naturally going to be more durable than one of pure cement. Diamandbrite only consists of quartz crystals compared to River Rok or any other Pebbletech type pool finish that have small washed stones combined with quartz. The quartz still does make a difference and does not change the surface finish. You will not feel the quartz, but only see it faintly. The exposed aggregate finishes are noticeably more rough and you can definitely fell the texture.

Unlike traditional marble-based pool plaster, Diamond Brite is made with natural quartz, one of nature's hardest and purest minerals. Marble aggregates are easily dissolved by pool chemicals causing unsightly attaching and rapid deterioration. Diamond Brite's insoluble quartz aggregate is unaffected by the harshest pool chemicals and resists permanent staining, Also, the 3-M colorquartz accent colors won't rust, rub off or fade like other colored aggregate because the pigment is ceramically bonded to the quartz aggregate. Finally, state-of-the-art polymer modification of Diamond Brite's cement increases hardness, improves bonding and reduces water penetration. All this adds up to a beautiful yet durable pool finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have an added sense of security knowing that your pool is comfortable and slip-resistant. Because SGM selects quartz aggregates that are smaller than pebble finish surfaces. The surface is comfortable to bathers feet, and in this age of safety consciousness, Diamond Brite is the ideal surface where wet, slippery conditions are a concern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Developing Diamond Brite, SGM made ease of maintenance a top priority. The impervious quartz used in Diamond Brite resists stains and etching caused by harsh pool chemicals. And, unlike existing pool plasters, Diamond Brite can be drained and cleaned without being damaged. Additionally, the accent colors in Diamond Brite give the surface a variegated appearance, masking the slight imperfections that are readily apparent in traditional finishes.

http://www.sgm.cc/pdf/Diamond%20Brite%20brochure1-2.pdf

Yea! It is nice looking and all that, but it is so rough my grandkids elbows were bleeding when they rub against the sides of the pool.

Real world customer results.

The quartz still does make a difference and does not change the surface finish. You will not feel the quartz, but only see it faintly. The exposed aggregate finishes are noticeably more rough and you can definitely fell [sic] the texture.

???

Marble aggregates are easily dissolved by pool chemicals causing unsightly attaching and rapid deterioration.

Not true.

You'll have an added sense of security knowing that your pool is comfortable and slip-resistant. Because SGM selects quartz aggregates that are smaller than pebble finish surfaces. The surface is comfortable to bathers feet, and in this age of safety consciousness, Diamond Brite is the ideal surface where wet, slippery conditions are a concern.

Marcite is not "slippery".

Quantum have you ever built or engineered a pool? You are very much a negative blogger on this site and need to relax. I can show you data proving marble aggregates are easily dissolved by pool chemicals. As well, marcite is NOT slippery compared to fiberglass or vinyl liners but in the spectrum of slip resistance testing, DIAMONDBRITE is less slick. This is a fact!!!!!

Why do you think we "Designers" spec these products when designing zero entry pools. Greater slip resistance!!

Yea! It is nice looking and all that, but it is so rough my grandkids elbows were bleeding when they rub against the sides of the pool.

Marcite or any cementious material will cause some scrapping if swift contact is made, I agree. That has always been the downfall of that material. We will use polished marble finishes to make the surface as smooth as possible. Usually a marcite or similar finish that is really rough like sand paper is due to PH balance damage or most commonly from acid washing the pool multiple times. It has become a habit for pool service companies to offer acid washing as the first solution to cleaning and removing stains when other less damaging products are available. The real answer is to keep your pool clean at all times especially before it is winterized.

If your pool is very rough then you may consider having it hydro buffed to bring back the smooth finish. Just make sure the marcite layer is thick enough before you have the outter layer buffed.

Quantum have you ever built or engineered a pool? You are very much a negative blogger on this site and need to relax. I can show you data proving marble aggregates are easily dissolved by pool chemicals. As well, marcite is NOT slippery compared to fiberglass or vinyl liners but in the spectrum of slip resistance testing, DIAMONDBRITE is less slick. This is a fact!!!!!

Why do you think we "Designers" spec these products when designing zero entry pools. Greater slip resistance!!

I know plenty about pool design, engineering and construction. I am not a negative blogger. I am just giving my opinion, just like you are giving your opinion about marcite. You are giving negative reviews about marcite.

You are saying that it is rapidly dissolved. I don't need any outside data to know this is not true. I know many marcite plaster pools that have plaster that is over 15 years and still in good condition.

All plaster, including Diamondbrite, will be damaged by poor water chemistry. The most susceptible part of the plaster is the calcium hydroxide in the cement, not the aggregate. Additives, such as pozzolans can be used to strengthen the plaster and make it less susceptible to attack.

There is no need to spec Diamondbrite for a zero entry pool. There is a "right" amount of traction that is ideal for that type of entry. It is my opinion that Diamondbrite is too rough, tile or fiberglass is too slippery and regular marcite is just right.

I do think that Diamondbrite can be a good choice when a specific look is desired. I just think that the roughness is often downplayed too much. I think that people should be given enough information to make an informed choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Marcite or any cementious material will cause some scrapping if swift contact is made, I agree. That has always been the downfall of that material. We will use polished marble finishes to make the surface as smooth as possible. Usually a marcite or similar finish that is really rough like sand paper is due to PH balance damage or most commonly from acid washing the pool multiple times. It has become a habit for pool service companies to offer acid washing as the first solution to cleaning and removing stains when other less damaging products are available. The real answer is to keep your pool clean at all times especially before it is winterized.

If your pool is very rough then you may consider having it hydro buffed to bring back the smooth finish. Just make sure the marcite layer is thick enough before you have the outter layer buffed.

Who in Florida does hydro buffing, and is it expensive? I would like to do the hot tub, it is so rough it ruins my wife bathing suite.

• 1 year later...

A number of years ago, plaster finished pools had some asbestos. Obviously, this has been removed from modern plaster, aka marcite. The result has been a reduction in life span for this finish. Marcite's life expectancy is typically about 7 to 11 years.

Diamond Brite by SGM is made from marcite with a fairly significant amount of quartz added in place of some marble dust aggregate. The resulting finish, because less cement is exposed, lasts longer. 10 to 15 year life expectancy is the norm.

Color Quartz, last I heard, was no longer a 3M product. This is an add mix. It is added to marcite. Nothing is taken away. How much is added is up to the PB. It doesn't have quite the same life expectancy as the SGM's Diamond Brite. 8 to 12 year life expectancy is the norm.

All 3 normally have smooth surfaces when new. All 3 should be given low pH start up procedures for the initial cure.

Hydrazzo and Durrazo are simply hydro buffed and really, in my experience, offer nothing more than a still smoother surface when new. They stain just as easily and will suffer if acid washed. Life expectancy is not much better than plain marcite.

Higher aggregate finishes such as Pebble Tec/Fina/Sheen, Wet Edge/Wet Edge Pearl, and Bead Krete. and other brands offer a harder finish. The smoothness is determined by the size of the aggregate but all share a minimal amount of cement exposure. This makes them far more resistant to the effects of poor chemistry, staining, and stain removal. Typically, these finishes last the longest and are the state of the art. Those with larger stones are still smooth but textured. These products last the longest, over 25 years is not unusual for a Pebble Tec pool. Wet Edge and Bead Krete are newer to the market but similarly applied and constructed. Not every pool plaster company can do them. It isn't unusual for the manufacturers to control who gets what.

Scott

Marcite has become a generic term for plain, modern formula pool plaster. If it only lasted 5 years, it wouldn't account for more than half the pool finishes to this day.

I do agree that SGM's Diamond Brite is a better product and worth the somewhat higher price over plain plaster.

Scott