Jandy Heat Pump

mag357

Hi all, I have a question for you. I have the Jandy Heat pump Medel AE-Ti, I would like to know if it is possible to use a generator with the pump for heating the pool. I know it runs on 220 I the generator I am thinking of does produce 220. (11,000 HP)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hi all, I have a question for you. I have the Jandy Heat pump Medel AE-Ti, I would like to know if it is possible to use a generator with the pump for heating the pool. I know it runs on 220 I the generator I am thinking of does produce 220. (11,000 HP)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

11,000 horsepower = 8,202,698 watts = 34,178 amps at 240 volts.

You have an 8 Megawatt generator?

Do you mean 11 kW?

What model number Heat Pump do you have?

What are the electrical requirements specified on the label?

What else will be using the generator?

Ok, got some more info. The model heat pump that I have is the Jandy AE-2500T and the generator I am looking at is the Rigid 8000Watts. generator. From what I was reading it sounded workable to me, but I am far from being an expert in this field.

Thanks in advance to your replies.

Ok, got some more info. The model heat pump that I have is the Jandy AE-2500T and the generator I am looking at is the Rigid 8000Watts. generator. From what I was reading it sounded workable to me, but I am far from being an expert in this field.

Thanks in advance to your replies.

PC notes that the AE2500 requires a 50 amp service. This reference shows Minimum Circuit ampacity is 40 amps. So, it's either 40 or 50 amps. PC, can you double-check your number?

[Edit]

This reference shows a 50 amp circuit ampacity for the AE2500.[End Edit]

Mag357, Your original post indicated 11,000 H.P. Your recent post of 8,000 watts indicates 11 H.P, which makes more sense.

The Heat pump requires at least 230 volts X 40 amps = 9,200 watts. The generator is not big enough to use for the heat pump. The generator should indicate the maximum load that it can handle.

The heater is rated at 118,000 Btu per hour output. It has a rated C.O.P (Coefficient of Performance) of 5.4. That indicates that the heater will use about 6,404 watts, which equals 27.8 amps at 230 volts.

I Just did a quick search for the Jandy numbers don't remember what link i used. I think (sellers) listing amp numbers on the high or safe side is not as bad as numbers on the low side, it was probably was a typo tho.

Also did a quickie on the Rigid generator in question. That unit will NOT work as it will only provide 33.3 amps at 240V.

(need more power and wallet)

Quantums link also shows that the unit will run on less than 230V, (208-330V). So there is a little leeway there on the voltage requirement.

Are you guys saying that I should forget about this? I was getting the generator for about $500 new. I just thought it was an idea as to cut down on my high eletricity bill. Thanks for the replies.

From what I am hearing from you guys the generator is not powerfull enough for this heater.

Are you guys saying that I should forget about this? I was getting the generator for about $500 new. I just thought it was an idea as to cut down on my high eletricity bill. Thanks for the replies.

From what I am hearing from you guys the generator is not powerfull enough for this heater.

I would say forget it. You are never going to be able run your heatpump more efficiently from your generator than you are from the house......unless you are getting the gasoline for free. It may cost you an extra $50 on you home bill, but you'll probably spend three times that for gasoline for the same month.

The generator is not powerful enough to run the heat pump. The minimum required circuit ampacity is 40 amps; the generator is rated at only 33 amps. You would need at least a 10 kW generator.

I agree with Bugman1400, you are not going to be able to save money using a generator unless the power is free, such as from solar or wind power.

You might want to investigate solar or wind power for your whole house if your electricity is that expensive. The issue with those is their high up-front costs, although there are often rebates and incentives that are available.

Another option is to use solar panels to heat if your location is suitable.

The generator is not powerful enough to run the heat pump. The minimum required circuit ampacity is 40 amps; the generator is rated at only 33 amps. You would need at least a 10 kW generator.

I agree with Bugman1400, you are not going to be able to save money using a generator unless the power is free, such as from solar or wind power.

You might want to investigate solar or wind power for your whole house if your electricity is that expensive. The issue with those is their high up-front costs, although there are often rebates and incentives that are available.

Another option is to use solar panels to heat if your location is suitable.

Well I will take your advice and look into solar. I am down in Florida, it is cold as in the north right now. 31 degrees where I live.

Thanks again for all the great replies.