And I Thought I Had It Down!

wave1

Hey All;

Recently switched to chlorine from bromine after buying a used hot tub (I did do a super chlorination first!).

So here 's the problem. Everything has been going swimmingly lately using a large chlorine tab floater, and shocking once a week or more with chlorine shock (100% sodium dichloro)> All levels have been good..Lately my chlorine level has been climbing steadily and I have been unable to keep it down, the Ph and Ak seem to go low which I can bring back up with Ak plus and PH up, stabilizer stays OK to high, sorry still using strips...I have had floater open at the lowest setting but the chlorine level didin't seem to come down..and the tub is used about 5 nights a week by one person for anywhere from 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. I currrently have the floater out of the tub to see if it will reduce..

Should I been using a non chlorine shock until this goes down? I assume that the chlorine shock is the culprit but it what the spa place told me to use... help is appreciated..Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum.

First you shouldn't be using a floater with tabs (Trichlor) in a hot tub. The hot water will make them dissolve too quickly raising the FC. And they are too acidic which will drop TA/pH. Both of which you are seeing.

I'd recommend reading the top link below for the correct way to use Chlorine.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum.

First you shouldn't be using a floater with tabs (Trichlor) in a hot tub. The hot water will make them dissolve too quickly raising the FC. And they are too acidic which will drop TA/pH. Both of which you are seeing.

I'd recommend reading the top link below for the correct way to use Chlorine.

+1

Nitro's post on water maintenance is excellent. It is well written and comprehensive. It is a very good way to maintain your chemistry and get good results.

Note: For you to get good results on any maintenance program you have to stop using the test strips, they are not accurate.

You really need a good test kit. One that can do FAS-DPD, pH, alkalinity, calcium and cyanuric acid.