Use Of Trichlor Tablets When Reducing High Fc Level?

Gavin

Just wondering and I think I'm right but I shouldn't be using trichlor tablets while the FC is high? I need FC to come down.

These are my readings:

FC=50

CC=0

pH=7.0 (Base Demand=4)

TA=60-90 avg:75

CH=100

CYA=-30

I'm buying a thermometer in the morning to figure water temp.

As you can see I got some balancing to do.

For sure if you FC is that high you don't want to add any more chlorine from any source, Trichlor or otherwise. Also note that as the chlorine gets used up, the pH will drop. You should probably use a dechlorinator (i.e. a chlorine reducer, usually sodium thiosulfate) since the FC is so high. Unless you are in an area where there is still strong sun (say, the southern hemisphere), then it will take quite some time for the FC to drop on its own.

For sure if you FC is that high you don't want to add any more chlorine from any source, Trichlor or otherwise. Also note that as the chlorine gets used up, the pH will drop. You should probably use a dechlorinator (i.e. a chlorine reducer, usually sodium thiosulfate) since the FC is so high. Unless you are in an area where there is still strong sun (say, the southern hemisphere), then it will take quite some time for the FC to drop on its own.

Thanks. B)

yes I'll go get some of that sodium thiosulfate in the moring.

Are you absolutely sure the FC is 50 ppm? If you are using the Taylor FAS-DPD test kit with a 10 ml sample size, then that's 100 drops before the sample goes from pink/red to clear.

Are you absolutely sure the FC is 50 ppm? If you are using the Taylor FAS-DPD test kit with a 10 ml sample size, then that's 100 drops before the sample goes from pink/red to clear.

I have this kit but it said each drop in a 10ml sample size was equal to 0.5.

I think you are right. I think I calculated wrong.

I added 10 drops. so that would be 10 x 0.5= 5ppm?