Lowering Ph And Raising Alk

Gracee

I've had trouble with my ph rising to 8.3 over time (starts around 7.5 upon refililng). My alk is usually around 60-80 when I refill. When I add muriatic acid (dosage according to pool calc.) to bring the ph down of course the alk drops even more. How do I bring it up without bring up the ph?

Sorry if the answer is here somewhere but I haven't been able to locate it.

Gracee

You don't.

Allow the alkalinity to stay where it keeps the pH stable at the desired level. If your pH is constantly rising, then your Alkalinity is too high. If your pH is constantly dropping, then your alkalinity is too low. If your pH is staying within a good range, then your alkalinity is just right.

Adding 50 ppm of boric acid/borates will also help reduce unwanted pH rise.

I've had trouble with my ph rising to 8.3 over time (starts around 7.5 upon refililng). My alk is usually around 60-80 when I refill. When I add muriatic acid (dosage according to pool calc.) to bring the ph down of course the alk drops even more. How do I bring it up without bring up the ph?

You don't!

Instead, adjust TA until pH is stable, below ~7.8. That means you need to lower your TA to ~50 ppm if needed.

You don't.

Allow the alkalinity to stay where it keeps the pH stable at the desired level. If your pH is constantly rising, then your Alkalinity is too high. If your pH is constantly dropping, then your alkalinity is too low. If your pH is staying within a good range, then your alkalinity is just right.

So if the ph is 8.3 and I add acid and the ph goes up again I add more acid. I keep doing this until I the ph stays in the midrange, ignoring how low the alk becomes? I'm thinking it will be very low if I do this?

Gracee

You don't.

So if the ph is 8.3 and I add acid and the ph goes up again I add more acid. I keep doing this until I the ph stays in the midrange, ignoring how low the alk becomes? I'm thinking it will be very low if I do this?

Yeah, but it should happen with TA around 50 ppm. As Quant said, add Borates to slow pH from rising.