Can't Get Rid Of Black Algae - Tried Everything

Gavin

You should get your chlorine level down as soon as possible by using sodium thiosulfate. At 50 ppm, the ascorbic acid might not work.

You should also begin to slowly raise your alkalinity and pH using baking soda, not sodium carbonate. Do it in small increments or you could cause bigger stains.

You should get your chlorine level down as soon as possible by using sodium thiosulfate. At 50 ppm, the ascorbic acid might not work.

You should also begin to slowly raise your alkalinity and pH using baking soda, not sodium carbonate. Do it in small increments or you could cause bigger stains.

ok thanks. B) I'm going to the pool shop in the morning and will buy some of that sodium thiosulfate. I also need a thermometer.

I've been trying out this calculator. it looks good: http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I guess I'll get the baking soda from a foodstore.

Many thanks for the help! much appreciated! B)

45 ppm X 15 X 2.835 = 1,914 grams, or about 4.22 pounds. Add 2 pounds and then retest.

Thanks for the formula much appreciated.

However I think I calculated the FC wrong. I used 10 drops so I think I should have: 10 x 0.5 = 5ppm. Ouch I got to be more careful! :(

I got some baking soda today and added 2lbs and will check in the morning. I still have another 2lbs.

no luck with the ascorbic acid test. stain still there. I took a photo and will post it in a sec.