New Shell And Diamond Brite

yi0rgos

Hi guys,

first post on this forum :D

I am planning to apply Diamond Brite to my in ground swimming pool and I was wondering if my concrete walls do require some type of waterproofing? If not and I choose to do so, can I apply the sealer, then bond kote, and then my diamond brite product?

Is Diamond Brite water proof?

Regards

George

Also, I doubt if a bond coat would adhere to a sealed surface in the manner that a plaster coat would require (it would come off in time).

Quantum is right, (did i say that?) pool plastering is not a "weekends" job. It's best to do it all at once, not in phases and with no less than 5 to 7 plasterers helping.

Hi guys,

first post on this forum :D

I am planning to apply Diamond Brite to my in ground swimming pool and I was wondering if my concrete walls do require some type of waterproofing? If not and I choose to do so, can I apply the sealer, then bond kote, and then my diamond brite product?

Is Diamond Brite water proof?

Regards

George

Dear George,

I am a pool plasterer with approx. 15 years experience as a actual finisher on both aggregated and regular marcite finishes. Both of the previous guys are dead on about the plastering not being a weekend warrior's D.I.Y. project. By the way, if it's new const., are your walls "poured" walls or "shotcrete" wet hose process or "gunite" dry hose process. If the walls / floor are sufficiently rough, you could probably plaster the pool without using any type of roughening agent. If the pools existing, then I'd consider getting a couple guys in there to chip out the pool instead of using bond kote or something similar. I'm somewhat skeptical of the long term viability of those types of products. They definitely have their place especially in regular marcite applications. It then wouldn’t be as big of an issue but with an extended service life plaster like Diamond Brite or other aggregated plaster, I've seen a number of pool's plaster delaminate with that or a similar roughening agent used prior to re-plaster. I'm not wanting to muddy the water but we've re-plastered a number of relatively newly re-plastered pools that should have held up much longer.

Chipping it out is definitely more expensive but what's another thousand or two compared to having to deal with delamination and the always visible repair in several years... You know what they say about hindsight being 20-20...

Hope this helps!!!