Cal Spa Costco Any Reviews?

joeadp

Hi looking for new spa. Had a Jaccuzi Z140 from Home Depot for 10 years. Moved and now considering this Costco Cal MOC 850L for 5k. Your thoughts are appreciated.

The Z140 was my first spa we enjoyed it. Wanted to be sure whatever I buy that parts are available.

Also liked the Cal Spa for its 425 USG quite larger then Evolution Spa's 355 USG. Wanted to spend up to 5k.

< Previous Product | Next Product >

OC Hot Tubs 50-Jet, 6-Person Lounger Spa by Cal Spas

Majestic Series – MOC-850L

Specifications:

Seating: 6 person

Dimensions: 84” x 93” x 39.5”

High Performance Pump: 2 x 6.0 BHP

Jet Count: 50 stainless steel

28 micro flow directional jets

11 power storm roto jets

8 power storm twin roto jets

3 power storm roto jets

Weight Dry / Filled: 1096 lbs. / 4,648 lbs.

Water Capacity: 425 USG

Pump Voltage: 240V (Electrical connections must be made by qualified and licensed personnel. Improper installations present hazards, which can result in personal injury or property damage. Please contact a licensed residential electrician for these services)

Heavy duty 5.5 KW heater

Filter: 75 sq. ft. floating pop up

Water Treatment: 102C Ozonator installed

2” Plumbing

High density full foam insulation

Maintenance Free Synthetic Cabinet Panels: Mahogany

Shell Colors: Snow white or silver gray

Features:

Lighting: 12V spa light

Water purification system

Low profile drain

Wall drain

Cabinet accessible drain valve

Gate valves

Equipment: "VSP-501SZ with digital top side"

Pressure treated cabinet frame

Standard bottom tray

3 comfort pillows

Bottom cover lift

Standard Cover: Standard rust 5” taper to 3”

Please click here to view shell, cabinet and cover color options.

Warranty:

5 Years - Structural

2 Years - Finish

2 Years - Parts

1 Year - Labor

Ordering & Delivery:

• 3 weeks later...

we are looking at the exact same model from Costco...looking for any insight or advice:

current asking price is $4,999

Thanks in advance!

Hi looking for new spa. Had a Jaccuzi Z140 from Home Depot for 10 years. Moved and now considering this Costco Cal MOC 850L for 5k. Your thoughts are appreciated.

The Z140 was my first spa we enjoyed it. Wanted to be sure whatever I buy that parts are available.

Also liked the Cal Spa for its 425 USG quite larger then Evolution Spa's 355 USG. Wanted to spend up to 5k.

Specifications:

11 power storm roto jets

3 power storm roto jets

Pump Voltage: 240V (Electrical connections must be made by qualified and licensed personnel. Improper installations present hazards, which can result in personal injury or property damage. Please contact a licensed residential electrician for these services)

Heavy duty 5.5 KW heater

2” Plumbing

Features:

Low profile drain

Wall drain

Gate valves

Standard bottom tray

3 comfort pillows

Bottom cover lift

Warranty:

5 Years - Structural

2 Years - Finish

2 Years - Parts

1 Year - Labor

Ordering & Delivery:

I would check to see if the Costco return policy applies to the Cal spa you are looking at. When we purchased our spa in 2006,The Cal spa was not sold by Costco but rather a "event" that Cal spa was holding through Costco and offering a lower price to Costco members but did not have the Costco satisfaction return policy as the spa was sold through cal spa not Costco. The Platinum II spa I ended up purchasing was sold and backed by the Costco return policy.

In My Opinion, that's to high for that tub. If it was on sale for about 3-3.5 grand maybe. You can find a better deal at a dealer. It may not have a bazillion bullet jets or stupid bells and whistles but it will be alot more solid. And backed by a local dealer. See if your local Calspa dealer will hook you up with a 5 grand tub. Or any dealers in your area.

In My Opinion, that's to high for that tub. If it was on sale for about 3-3.5 grand maybe. You can find a better deal at a dealer. It may not have a bazillion bullet jets or stupid bells and whistles but it will be alot more solid. And backed by a local dealer. See if your local Calspa dealer will hook you up with a 5 grand tub. Or any dealers in your area.

Roger -

Can you give some specific examples of which spas a local dealer might part with for $4-5k?

Roger -

Can you give some specific examples of which spas a local dealer might part with for $4-5k?

Why are you interested? If not than leave me to my opinion? If you truely are interested then send me a PM and I can list about 6 for you that, and here we go again, in my opinion are a better choice. They may not have the jet count because bullet jets are meaningless to me, maybe not to you. Also it's 5 grand not 4. Five grand with no delivery, minumal service and no background as it's made specificly to meet a Costco price point. The warranty is less than most and the install is yours. The ones I will give you are delivered set on your pad and most even come with a fill and orientation. Along with a phone number of who you bought it from. These things may not be important to you but they are to most.

Roger -

Why are you interested? If not than leave me to my opinion? If you truely are interested then send me a PM and I can list about 6 for you that, and here we go again, in my opinion are a better choice. They may not have the jet count because bullet jets are meaningless to me, maybe not to you. Also it's 5 grand not 4. Five grand with no delivery, minumal service and no background as it's made specificly to meet a Costco price point. The warranty is less than most and the install is yours. The ones I will give you are delivered set on your pad and most even come with a fill and orientation. Along with a phone number of who you bought it from. These things may not be important to you but they are to most.

Because I am in the market for a less expensive spa, and am seriously considering a Strong from Costco. I am willing to consider an alternative in the same price range, but so far, have found none. Why are you unwilling to post alternatives publicly on this forum, as opposed to a PM?

Hi Roger,

Can you post the tubs in the 5k to7k range that would compete with the Costco Cal Spa Majestic Series MOC-850L?

Do you know what Cal Spa this compares too? Is this the Avalon Series with less of a warranty?

I understand the value/benefits of the local hot tub retailer as compared to Costco but, not willing to pay double for the added benefits.

Thank you!

Roger -

Guys, I really believe Roger is trying to help us newbies. I know there are tubs in the 5 to 6K range at local dealers. I do value bullet jets, and have found the Strong to be a good tub after two months of ownership. But Roger is right, you're on your own for set up and delivery and chemicals. However I have found local dealers willing to help. Roger has an opinion (an expert one I might add) but I feel with a little can-do attitude, the Costco spas are very much worth considering, and the price point can't be beat.

DK117

Because I am in the market for a less expensive spa, and am seriously considering a Strong from Costco. I am willing to consider an alternative in the same price range, but so far, have found none. Why are you unwilling to post alternatives publicly on this forum, as opposed to a PM?

Great Lakes makes some great tubs in that price range, Emerald, @Home from D1. The Everyday line from Marquis. Viking and Nordic also has every tub in there lineup at under 7 grand. With a couple as low as closer to 4 grand. Most of the Beachcomber 300 series is below 7 with a couple at close to 5 grand. Hawkeye has a couple at about 5 grand. Phoenix has several that fit the 4-6 grand. Not sure if Sundance still makes the sweetwater line but they were mostly under 6 grand. And there are more.

Get out and talk to your local dealers let them know you want a 7x7 with 2 pumps and a 5.5KW heater for around 5 grand, you may be suprised.

Hi Roger,

I appreciate and value your advice and will go look at the hot tubs you suggested.

It seems these tubs are competitive with Costco, I am willing to pay above the 5k because I do not want to deal with Driveway delivery.

Have a Happy New Year!

Please do consider local dealers too, but don't make your decision solely on driveway vs backyard delivery. That can be fixed for as little as a six pack and a few friends, or $240 in my case for four delivery guys.

Happy New Year to all!

DK117

Hi Roger,

I appreciate and value your advice and will go look at the hot tubs you suggested.

It seems these tubs are competitive with Costco, I am willing to pay above the 5k because I do not want to deal with Driveway delivery.

Have a Happy New Year!

Full delivery, longer warranty, local service are all reasons a local dealer is a better way to go IMO and on top of that past history has not been kind when looking at Costco's. at teh same time Coscto is priced well and has the return policy so I understand why people are enticed by them even though I'm for a fan of quality of what they've sold the past decade. The key is to find a good local product, not just anyone. Spa companies have realized the past couple years that they needed to upgrade their lines in the $4 to $6k range so I'd look at everyone who is local, see what each has to offer and then compare while giving quality and energy efficiency as much emphasis as price and spec sheets.

When I was shopping for a tub earlier this year my local Hot Springs and Sundance dealers both offered large (at least 7' x 7') tubs for between 6 and 7 grand (exc tax), albeit after a lot of bartering. These were 2 pump models with 24 hour circ pump and ozonator, steps, cover and cover lifter, delivered, installed, start-up chemicals, orientation and, of course, full dealer support.

Specifications:

11 power storm roto jets

3 power storm roto jets

Heavy duty 5.5 KW heater

2” Plumbing

Features:

Low profile drain

Wall drain

Gate valves

Standard bottom tray

3 comfort pillows

Bottom cover lift

Warranty:

5 Years - Structural

2 Years - Finish

2 Years - Parts

1 Year - Labor

Ordering & Delivery:

One well plumbed 4 HP pump and 20 good jets may feel better than the 22 jets and 2-3HP pumps on this tub. If you leave out the bullet jets which don't do anything for me.

When I was shopping for a tub earlier this year my local Hot Springs and Sundance dealers both offered large (at least 7' x 7') tubs for between 6 and 7 grand (exc tax), albeit after a lot of bartering. These were 2 pump models with 24 hour circ pump and ozonator, steps, cover and cover lifter, delivered, installed, start-up chemicals, orientation and, of course, full dealer support.

Keep in mind the Hot Spring and Sundance spas are far and away better quality spas than what you'll find through Costco. So yes, they will definitely cost more. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. The best of any product isn't going to be the cheapest, it'll usually be in the upper price range for it's industry.

Personally, I cringe every time I hear someone say they have or are going to buy a spa from Costco. As I've said before, and will say again, Costco is a fantastic company. I wouldn't hesitate buying products from Costco. However, their program for selling hot tubs is not so great in my personal opinion. Costco is all about discounts and price points (though most of their in-house Kirkland brand products are great). With hot tubs, Costco negotiates with entry level manufacturers to produce certain spa models at specific prices. This means Costco say, "Make model 3250xd for $3,495 and we'll let you sell it through us." Now that manufacturer has to figure out how to make a profit by selling it so cheap.

Do the math yourself.

Honestly, if you do buy a spa from Costco, I hope you enjoy it. However, you more than owe it to yourself to shop your local hot tub dealers and see what they have to offer FIRST. If you don't, no complaining if your Costco spa experience isn't what you hoped for. :)

By the way: As Roger pointed out, Costco spa purchases include shipping, but are dropped at your driveway. Moving it to it's final resting place, getting power to it, setting it up, filling it, etc.. is all on you. And you'll get telephone support, rather than an at home support from your local dealer if/when you have problems of any kind.

model 3250xd for $3,495 and

your local dealer will sell it for $6 or $7K. That's a heck of a lot of support.

This has all been discussed in the other thread. Does anyone have any specific reviews on Costco's Cal Spas? Or should we just shut this thread down?

I'm cringing too.

DK117

Take my opinion for what's worth, I'm just another fool on the internet...

But, I have been serviceing spas for about 10 years. I am Independent service company. I do not sell spas, so I have no loyalty to any brand per say.

Cal spas are average quality at best. They use they same balboa controls as 80% of they spas out there. I can tell you I have seen a few new shells cracking around the led lights... And quite a few leakers that were brand new.

I don't feel that their customer service is all that great either. Costco can't help you there, where a dealer could.

Go try a sundance, jacuzzi, d1, marq... what ever.

Look around, wet test, and ask questions... Find a dealer who will stand behind what he sells. 5-6 grand is alot of money these days!

I'm not bashing Costco either, I feel that spas are kind of a specialty items that need a dealer with qualified people to handle any issues you might have.

• 3 months later...
other than i don't like the single filter. obviously cutting costs there by putting in only 1 filter.

Can't comment on the overall quality of Calspa. But I wouldn't spend one second thinking about the single filter. I've had a spa with two, and a spa with one. No difference, except replacing two costs more.

Keep in mind that if your Calspa disappoints in any way for any reason, you can return it for refund. It's not hard to beat that policy... it's impossible to beat it.

I'll be interested in reading your comments after you get your spa.

other than i don't like the single filter. obviously cutting costs there by putting in only 1 filter.

Can't comment on the overall quality of Calspa. But I wouldn't spend one second thinking about the single filter. I've had a spa with two, and a spa with one. No difference, except replacing two costs more.

Keep in mind that if your Calspa disappoints in any way for any reason, you can return it for refund. It's not hard to beat that policy... it's impossible to beat it.

i can buy this http://www.hotspothottubs.com/pdfs/2010-Relay.pdf for about 6k from a local, how this compares to the cal spa majestic 860 is what i am trying to figure out. after tax costco's majestic costs about $5250

I'm certainly no fan of Cal spa (not a good reputation for quality or for backing their product to its dealers or spa owners) but with Costco at least you could return it if there were problems.

i can buy this http://www.hotspothottubs.com/pdfs/2010-Relay.pdf for about 6k from a local, how this compares to the cal spa majestic 860 is what i am trying to figure out. after tax costco's majestic costs about $5250

I've never been a fan of Cal and though having Costco on your side helps alleviate the concerns I'd have for a Cal product I would opt for the Hot spot. You'll get it delivered and set up by the dealer who will provide service down the line as needed and it's made by a reputable spa manufacturer who is known for building a good product and backing it.