Sta Rite Sr400na Not Working

maddie

My heater wasn't heating the spa correctly so we put in a new thermistor. Now, the heater won't come on at all! On the control panel I have 4 green led lights lit..pool on, spa on, aux 1 and aux 2. On the control board underneath I get 3 green led lights lit and a red blinking light on circuit cr21. I've called sta rite and they couldn't help me at all! Over night I left the theristor and high switch out and neglected to turn pump off! yard flooded and now heater won't come on at all. Please help!! :o

Was it only heating to about 85 degrees?

Yes! It would be set for 101 but felt body temp instead. Also, I never got the 125/126 temp readings that others have gotten. The spa would heat up but shut off before the water was at set temp even though the display showed the temp had been reached. Thank you so much for helping me with this!

If the heater was only heating to about 85 then sutting down, Replace the themst. bypass. Replacement shown here... http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...amp;#entry91857

Would that account for the red led light (cr21) on the control board? As it is now the heater wont turn on or do anything. If that part has failed would that prevent the heater from coming on at all and lighting up the 4 lights on the control panel? As stated before I really appreciate your advice!!

No, that would not disable the heater, it would cycle. Must have missed the cr21 you mentioned. Could you be possibly seeing the wrong label for that led? Look for 3 letters on the board next to the led. You are looking on the underside of the board, yes?

You may have the heater hooked up to power constantly (not switched by the filter pump time clock). Can you interrupt the power to the heater for about 10 seconds then turn it back on? This will reset a lock out that may have occurred, keeping the heater from coming on.

Can you describe where you are seeing cr21 (location on the board)? You may just be seeing the leds from the other side showing thru, as the only blinking light would be the "Heating" light.

No, that would not disable the heater, it would cycle. Must have missed the cr21 you mentioned. Could you be possibly seeing the wrong label for that led? Look for 3 letters on the board next to the led. You are looking on the underside of the board, yes?

You may have the heater hooked up to power constantly (not switched by the filter pump time clock). Can you interrupt the power to the heater for about 10 seconds then turn it back on? This will reset a lock out that may have occurred, keeping the heater from coming on.

Can you describe where you are seeing cr21 (location on the board)? You may just be seeing the leds from the other side showing thru, as the only blinking light would be the "Heating" light.

The heater is hooked up to the timer clock. I've turned the breakers on and off but still nothing. On the control board there is a little circuit led light labled cr21 or R5 (hard to tell,label very small) that is blinking. It's right off the corner of a yellow button. I see the labled led lights such as AFS, AGS etc but this one doesn't have that. Those lights are lighting up green. 3 green lights and this blinking red one. Also, the 4 lights on the control panel are lit none of them red. I'd be happy to send a photo if I can figure out how. :)

Can you describe the red blinking light pattern?

Is it 1 flash, 2 flashes or 3 flashes?

Is the "Service System" or "Service Heater" light lit?

What is the current temperature reading on the display?

What is the temperature set point?

Does the Digital Temperature Display show Error Code “E05” or “E06”?

Replace the Thermal governor Part Number: 77707-0010

Check the bypass valve in the heat exchanger.

On the control panel I have 4 green led lights lit..pool on, spa on, aux 1 and aux 2.

Only one light should be lit. What happens when you try to select either "Pool On" or "Spa On"?

Over night I left the theristor and high switch out and neglected to turn pump off! yard flooded and now heater won't come on at all.

Did any water get inside the heater?

Have you ever set the "Max. Temp. Set Point"?

Can you describe the red blinking light pattern?

Is it 1 flash, 2 flashes or 3 flashes? 1 flash

Is the "Service System" or "Service Heater" light lit? no

What is the current temperature reading on the display? nothing shows on the display

What is the temperature set point? I have no idea!

Does the Digital Temperature Display show Error Code “E05” or “E06”? no, nothing shows on the digital display

Replace the Thermal governor Part Number: 77707-0010

Check the bypass valve in the heat exchanger.

On the control panel I have 4 green led lights lit..pool on, spa on, aux 1 and aux 2.

Only one light should be lit. What happens when you try to select either "Pool On" or "Spa On"? nothing! I can't get it to turn on, clear the lights or anything.

Over night I left the theristor and high switch out and neglected to turn pump off! yard flooded and now heater won't come on at all.

Did any water get inside the heater? Most likely it did. :(

Have you ever set the "Max. Temp. Set Point"? No I haven't

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45504475@N08/?saved=1.

First picture, red light blinking is the service heater light from the other side. Normal, given what is happening right now.

Second picture lights are again from the other side, pool on and spa on, not good. Should be one or the other. Also Aux 2 is illuminated.

The ribbon cable that is in picture 2 on the left side, I want you to power down, then unplug it, power back on, and see if the heater wants to come on (fan starts).

First picture, red light blinking is the service heater light from the other side. Normal given what is happening right now.

Second picture lights are again from the other side, pool on and spa on, not good. Should be one or the other. Also Aux 2 is illuminated.

The ribbon cable that is in picture 2 on the left side, I want you to power down, then unplug it, power back on, and see if the heater wants to come on (fan starts).

Tried what you suggested and nothing happened. :(

Did all the same lights come on? If not, try this: short the first two pins for a moment nearest the little yellow button on the board. Doing this is like pressing the pool on button.

th_127_4903.jpg

If still nothing happens, then you will need to have someone come out and take a look at it.

You may want to look for evidence of this too...

th_service051.jpg

• 2 months later...

[

Okay,

update...I have someone looking at the pool now. On the control board there is a relay that won't close. When he manually closes it the heater comes on.....So, he thinks it could be the membrane pad. Any way to check for sure???

quote name=Pool Clown' date='Dec 12 2009, 02:24 PM' post='96217]

Did all the same lights come on? If not, try this: short the first two pins for a moment nearest the little yellow button on the board. Doing this is like pressing the pool on button.

th_127_4903.jpg

If still nothing happens, then you will need to have someone come out and take a look at it.

You may want to look for evidence of this too...

th_service051.jpg

You can unplug the membrane from the board. There are two ways the membrane can fail. One way is if all or some of the buttons (switches) wont make contact. the other is one or all buttons are shorting, as if someone is holding their finger on the button. So just unplugging the the ribbon cable won't necessarily prove the membrane failing with out more testing.

If you have a relay sticking on the board, you need to determine if its a sticking relay, or a membrane pad button shorting. Recreate the symptom, both pool and spa lights on, then unplug the ribbon cable and see if one of the lights goes out.

You can unplug the membrane from the board. There are two ways the membrane can fail. One way is if all or some of the buttons (switches) wont make contact. the other is one or all buttons are shorting, as if someone is holding their finger on the button. So just unplugging the the ribbon cable won't necessarily prove the membrane failing with out more testing.

If you have a relay sticking on the board, you need to determine if its a sticking relay, or a membrane pad button shorting. Recreate the symptom, both pool and spa lights on, then unplug the ribbon cable and see if one of the lights goes out.

Did as you suggested and both lights stayed on. The relay is model MAS-HM-24. I can make the heater come on by activating it manually however, all lights continue to light up and the temp. reading on the membrane stays off. I'm starting to think I might need a new control board. :(

Okay,

So a question about the control board. Mine is model 42001-0096A. Does the model 42002-0007S work on my heater also? Mine has a 9 plug connection for the ribbon to the membrane. I'm so ready to be done with it all!

Yes, the 9 connector ribbons work with the newer boards just let the extra plugs hang off one end of the boards connector.

By the way, how are you making it come on manually?

• 1 month later...

Not if I should start a new thread...I have the SR333 with similar heating problems. Here's a summary:

Turn the pump on to get water flowing.

Turn on the heater - blower starts up no problem.

20 seconds later the gas starts but it shuts off almost right away - Service Heater light comes on.

Diagnostic LED inside is not flashing at all.

No error code shown on temp. display. (If I cycle the breaker to the heater, the code r 1 comes up... not sure if that is just telling me that power was interrupted - may not be related to this problem at all)

I have replaced the terminal plugs at the flue sensor and cable harness - no change.

I've twisted the bare wires together to assure a good connection - no change.

I *have* been able to get heater working sometimes during the day, later in the afternoon. Is it possible that dew moisture is shorting out something?

Can I bypass the sensor somehow? What is the expected resistance range of the thermistor that comes from the flue sensor? I've read on some ways to bypass the sensor, replace with a resistor of some value. My heater is about 7 or 8 years old. How long will one of these last in central Florida?

Any ideas from out there would be helpful and appreciated.

John

• 12 years later...

I have the same exact problem as "Maddie" above.   Heater does not turn on.  On the control panel I have 4 green led lights lit (pool on, spa on, aux 1 and aux 2.) On the control board underneath there is a red LED lit (labeled CR21, not blinking, on all the time).  I have checked line voltage and the 22V transformer.  All appears OK.  I removed the ribbon cable and turned the unit back on  but no change.  Still have all green LEDS and CR21 lit.  I tried to probe out the membrane panel, but do not see any switches closing when I press the membrane button.  Not sure if I have a membrane panel issue or control board issue.  Heater is over 15 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.