Chlorine Demand With Ozonator

smc

Thanks to Chem Geek and Nitro I now have the best water quality my hot tub has ever had. Although.... I seem to have an issue regarding Chlorine demand. It seems as though the more we use the hot tub the less chlorine is required and when not used the chlorine use is excessive.

I have read chlorine levels every day for the past two months,using a Taylor 2006, trying to get a handle on this and I am becoming more confused.

As an example with a chlorine reading of 2.0 prior to a 30 minute soak and adding 3 ozs. bleach after the soak the following morning the Chlorine reading was still over 2.0.

Not using the tub I can see a 50% or more chlorine demand in 24 hours. Is this normal with an ozonator. Should I shock the tub to see if I can get the CD down when we are not using?

Confused.

Funny thing about ozonators. They will actually lower CD when there is something in the tub to oxidize (i.e. after the tub is used). However, when there's nothing to oxidize (i.e. tub not in use) the ozonator with destroy chlorine (i.e. raising CD). So what you're experiencing is consistent.

It's up to you which you prefer. If you use the tub a lot (every day or two), an ozonator will work with you. However, if you rarely use it (1-2 per week or less), on ozonator might work against you.