vinyl & fiberglass stained

Guest chad

I have an inground pool with a vinyl liner & I think fiberglass steps.The sides walls of the pool ,the steps,jets,& main drain are stained a brownish-rusty color.The floor of the pool very clean & the water is clear.The chlorine level is good,but the ph level is a little high.The pool was recently very cloudy & green due to bad gaskets in the 8 position valve on top of the sand filter,therefore I had no pressure or vacuum.I changed the gaskets and have regained pressure & vacuum.I"ve since developed the stains.What do i do?

I take it the stains are right at the water line. They could be caused either by oils or algae. The best would be to purchase a liner cleaner and try scrub it with a sponge (one's with abbrasive side). Be careful that you aren't removing the pattern. If the dirt does not lift from this, contact Vyn-all and ask them for advice. www.vynall.com.

Pat Fitzgerald

Sunbuilt Pools, Inc.

Have your water tested for metals- then do what the company recommends from there- it sounds like a metal stain. If it isn't metals it may be corrosion- what is the total alkalinity reading?

We are replacing our 14 year old vinyl in-ground pool liner. What color of liner do you think would be easiest to maintain, show less dirt and hide stains? I would think a medium blue with a small pattern. I am concerned about fading on a dark color. What do you think?

Hi Sarah,

I did not originate this message, but have the same problem. The stains are all around the pool from about 6 inches below the water line and around the inside bottom. Originally, there was algae there and it turned brown when we shocked the pool. We've had the pool for 5 years and this has never happened. I read that you suggested it could be metal or corrosion. How would these stains have originated? Do you think there is a product that would take this out?

Where do I go for the products?

Maggie