New Hot Tub Peroxysan Question

Kevinjones#37

I am new to the hot tub world and recently purchased an arctic spa and have begun to use peroxysan as it was recommendedv by the dealer. I have since read some horror stories about it and I am wondering if anyone has anything good to say about it...my tub is only 1 week old so far no problems....thanks, Kevin

I am new to the hot tub world and recently purchased an arctic spa and have begun to use peroxysan as it was recommendedv by the dealer. I have since read some horror stories about it and I am wondering if anyone has anything good to say about it...my tub is only 1 week old so far no problems....thanks, Kevin

I believe the local Arctic representative on here, James Kierstad, has posted that Arctic does not support the use of Peroxysan etc. and that they have advised their dealer network of such. Arctic will likely not warranty any issues which can be attributed to the use of these products, and you know your local dealer sure isn't going to honor it on his own. The local Arctic dealer here in Calgary tried to push me into Peroxysan too, which is one of the (many) reasons I immediately excluded Arctic from further consideration (amongst other reasons). There is obviously huge profit for the dealerships in this stuff. From what I've seen on here, this stuff is nothing but junk. If I were you, I'd contact Arctic directly, then go back to your dealer for a refund, and would change out your water and go with a "real" water treatment method.

Good luck with your new tub!

Welcome to the forum Kevin !!

If you search this or any other pool/spa forum for peroxysan, you'll find nothing but horror stories. You really should be using an EPA approved method of sanitation ... for your own safety. The only positive with peroxysan ... you'll definitely be stimulating the economy.

Hey Kevin,

I use peroxysan as well. You can look at my posts for my adventure.

I ended up with "white mold" a few months into having my tub. I poured a ton of chlorine in the tub to kill it, emptied it and refilled it.

It came back in 2 weeks. I actually was back as soon as I turned the air jets on. Obviously I never cleaned it properly. My dealer advised me to add 6L of Peroxysan and it would be gone. That didn't work. They apologized and replaced the Peroxysan I wasted.

I worked with my dealer and the Peroxysan people. We're in the middle of shocking the tub with Sani-Cleen which was supplied by Peroxysan. It's 23% peroxide and 4.3% Poeroxacetic acid. To say the least, when I poured the jug in, the white stuff that was in the tub instantly floated to the top.

I've circulated the jets on/off a few times today. I'm to leave it overnight and then drain it.

If I still have white mold, the dealer is going to come and get my tub and replace it with another one.

This board is great, but it's very anti anything that isn't the bleach method.

I say give'r. My dealer and peroxysan have stood behind me. Do some reading on white mold. It can happend with ANY chemical. It's enviromental.

Things we could have screwed up that may have caused it...

1. We didn't change filter weekly as required

2. We closed a bunch of the jets (I still don't know why we did that)

3. We filled from the hose without running it first. Our hose sits in the sun all day

4. We got lazy and didn't add Peroxysan as per directed (2 cups a week)

I'm sure there will 100 replies now saying that I'm satan, but I'm ok with that. Do your own research and do what you want to do.

White mold is environmental as are bacteria and algae, but that does not mean it occurs with any sanitation method. White mold is usually associated with the continued use of Baquacil/biguianide/PHMB in pools after 2-3 years unless a thorough high oxidation cleaning is done, usually once a year. I don't think I've seen a single report of white water mold in properly maintained chlorine, bromine or N2/MPS spas or pools. Dichlor-then-bleach is not the only approach promoted on this forum. The Nature2 with MPS method is probably at least as popular and the use of bromine is also very popular (Dichlor-only is still in use as well, though can have issues if the water isn't changed more frequently) and all of these sanitizers work well and are approved by the EPA for sanitation (i.e. as a disinfectant) while the use of hydrogen peroxide alone is not.

Please keep us posted with what happens in your situation.

"unless a thorough high oxidation cleaning is done"

Would that stuff I listed above be considered that? We got it for free (thus wanting to give it shot), but it's only $50 a treatment. I'd be willing to do that once a year. Spa Purge on roids. This stuff smells horrible though.

I will def keep everyone posted. I'm not on this site to cause problems. I'm here to share what I've been through. If this ends up working for us, great... if not, I'll have full documentation of whole process. We're going to do everything exactly how they want us too.

Hopefully if people like Kevin come to the site, there will be more experiences to review.

Cheers.

Not to jump on the bandwagon here..but I had a buddy who had a pool that he used peroxide to try to sanitize.

It got very out of control and terrible in the course of a few days.

Ended up with about a half an inch of water clarity (green algae bloom) on day 3.

He added many gallons of a high concentration of peroxide..I think like 75% stuff (I don't know, didnt want to know, I think it was from NASA)

Finally he gave up.

He had a pool party in 7 days and asked me to help, we did a switch to chlorine and had 99% water clarity in 7 days using chlorine. (lots of scrubbing, lots of bleach, lots of stabilizer, lots of work)

What I am getting at, is that clearly chlorine is a superior sanitizer. We were using a product that when poured on anything organic outgasses oxygen (fun to light on fire :D ) and eats flesh off bones...but it still couldn't kill the algae at a concentration that was safe to swim in.

Good luck with the peroxide!

Would that stuff I listed above be considered that? We got it for free (thus wanting to give it shot), but it's only $50 a treatment. I'd be willing to do that once a year. Spa Purge on roids. This stuff smells horrible though.

I honestly don't know, but I would expect that they would include something strong enough to prevent problems such as white water mold.

My concern is more for the ongoing level of sanitation and possibly oxidation. To technically get the same level of sanitation as with the EPA-approved sanitizers (chlorine, bromine, Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB, N2 with MPS) the hydrogen peroxide level has to be very high such that it would be irritating to skin. So one normally uses a somewhat lower level to avoid irritation, but that means it's not as sanitary (which is why it isn't EPA approved passing DIS/TSS-12; by the way, that's not the same as EPA registration as a pesticide). As to whether this a problem, it's a spectrum of risk and there isn't a single absolute level at which everything is perfect for any of these systems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

We have tried Peroxysan for about 8 months and it does not work. One day the levels are fine and the next they are at 0.  It's absolute garbage and we have spent an exorbitant amount of money on this product and followed the instructions exactly. At the end of the day, do not waste money on this because it doesn't work. 

Whenever a manufacturer or retailer does not list their contact phone #, you should be suspect.  These guys want you to email them.