Softub Motor Overheating (no Idea Why)

greensoftub

I have an older Softub that has generally been futzed with, so who knows what controller/pump etc.

The motor is overheating in that it will run (from cold water start) for 15 minutes, then cut out until the motor has cooled, then run for some more time, then cut out. Rinse repeat.

During this time, the circuit board still wants the pump to run (it's delivering 110v to the pump, and the heating light is on).

The exchanger seems to run freely enough, and the water pressure going into the exchanger seems pretty high - especially considering the water is still in the 50s, and no where near 100.

So I'm guessing that the thermal trip in the motor is going - but why? Could a failure mode of the pump be excess heat (it sounds fine, no bearing noise), could the thermal trip be malfunctioning and tripping the pump early? Could the electrics be degraded and cause excess heat?

I have an older Softub that has generally been futzed with, so who knows what controller/pump etc.

The motor is overheating in that it will run (from cold water start) for 15 minutes, then cut out until the motor has cooled, then run for some more time, then cut out. Rinse repeat.

During this time, the circuit board still wants the pump to run (it's delivering 110v to the pump, and the heating light is on).

The exchanger seems to run freely enough, and the water pressure going into the exchanger seems pretty high - especially considering the water is still in the 50s, and no where near 100.

So I'm guessing that the thermal trip in the motor is going - but why? Could a failure mode of the pump be excess heat (it sounds fine, no bearing noise), could the thermal trip be malfunctioning and tripping the pump early? Could the electrics be degraded and cause excess heat?

I have never looked at a softub in my life. I know they have a very unique heating system. Is there a filter system and what does it look like.

It is the thermal trip in the back of the motor. It is a very thin piece of copper. The true way to test it is to test the amp draw while the motor is running to see if it the same as the nameplate.There is only 1 style pump that works with a softub and needs to be from a softub dealer because of the tubes wrapping around the motor to heat the water

It is the thermal trip in the back of the motor. It is a very thin piece of copper. The true way to test it is to test the amp draw while the motor is running to see if it the same as the nameplate.There is only 1 style pump that works with a softub and needs to be from a softub dealer because of the tubes wrapping around the motor to heat the water

Every chance as this setup has been messed with. I presume that if the wrong pump has been installed then the load from the pump will be causing the excess amp draw, and the overheat. Do you know what a proper amp draw from a softub motor should be?

Every chance as this setup has been messed with. I presume that if the wrong pump has been installed then the load from the pump will be causing the excess amp draw, and the overheat. Do you know what a proper amp draw from a softub motor should be?

They are all 115 volts and about 10-12 amps. The amp draw has nothing to do with thermal overload. The motor winding are overheating from loss of insulation. Age is a factor or poor motor manufacturing

• 10 years later...

I have just purchased a new HydroThermix replacement pump for my SofTub.
Same deal... the pump keeps shutting down after running for about an hour.  The thermostat setting and lights show the tub is still calling for heat, even at 70° but the pump needs to rest and cool down.  Also, I think there is so much heat gathering in the pump assy that it tells the temp probe in the pump cavity that the temp of the water is much higher than it really is... water temp can be 70° and thermostat on pump pack is all the way up on high but control doesn’t turn on pump because it thinks water temp is too high...  This new design is somewhat flawed.  If I let it cool and run in cycles for days, maybe it will come up into the 100-104 range as all the components stabilize?  Pump must have a thermal cutout though... brian in Mn 

• 1 year later...

greensoftub,  did you ever solve the issue, I have a new resort 300,  motor over heats in about 20 minutes, then after it cools for 30-40 minutes it turns on for another 20 minutes, rinse and repeat, it's frusterating,   I did have a bad bearing, replaced it and replaced the impeller seal as that was leaking.  I made sure the coil loop was free of obstructions, made sure water is flowing through it, the fan in the motor is in good condition,  not sure what the issue is.  

not sure if the overheat switch goes bad, but it might not be because the back of the motor is too hot to touch.  

anyone else have other ideas?

• 3 weeks later...