water problems!!

Guest aler58

We use a water pro conditioner and filter for our well water. We used chlorine as our disinfectant on our spa for 3 years. We are having problems with the chlorine now. Every time we put chlorine in the spa, it immediately turns brownish/green and discolors the filter. It takes MULTIPLE runnings of the filter to get the color out. The water line on the spa is this reddish color. Had our water tested for iron, it wasn't that. Have purchased new filters, cleaned the spa, redid everything and still have that problem. Just redid the spa and purchased baquaspa but after reading posts, am afraid to use it. HELP please, I miss my hottub soaks!!

Guest pooldude

Did you also have the water tested for copper or manganese? Although it may be the most common, iron is not the only metal that can be found in water.

Whenever an oxidizer is added to water it will react with metals or minerals that exist in the water. In some instances, particularly with halogens such as chlorine or bromine, the water will become discolored and possibly stain surfaces. A green coloration is usually associated with the presence of copper. The copper may be coming from your source water, but it is more likely coming from your equipment such as the heating element. When alkalinity and PH readings fall below what is recommended, then the water becomes acidic and starts to break down the heating element. Given the age of the tub and being that you never experienced this before...this is a very good possibility.

In the BaquaSpa system peroxide is used as the shock or oxidizer. You may not notice any discoloration when it is applied, but it will be used up very quickly and won't be very effective due to the presence of metals.

Get to the root of the problem and get it fixed. Stay with chlorine and use some type of stain and scale control weekly along with maintaining proper water balance to avoid this from happening again.

We have the same problem with chlorine and our well water, which is very HIGH in Manganese, and has NO Iron....

For our spa, we have an ozonator, and use OZ once a week. Use no chlorine or bromine. It will cause the brown water. Also you need to use Metal-gon when ever you add water to the spa,

Clean your filter with the filter cleaner, won't get rid of all the brown discoloration, but gets most of it..

Guest Suncrest

You might want to try a new product I just found that is working great for my well water. The Eco One Spa Fill Pre-Filter from spafriendly.com. It works just like they say it will. They e-mailed me a fact sheet on it and I was amazed at what it removes from your water. Anyone haveing problems with the water they use to fill their tub should get one of these. I know I will save more then the price of it on one or two fills not to mention the frustration saved as well.

• 2 weeks later...

With ANY well water, "metal out" has been a great product to eliminate the source of the problem. Stain and scale control is definately a good weekly habit to establish as it's a great preventative. I hope you get to use your spa again soon!