Do I Have To Decontaminate A Brand New Tub?

lpad

I'm trying to figure out everything I need to know (or buy, such as a test kit) before our Nautilus is delivered in a couple weeks. I've been reading some threads, including Nitro's info. Seems like some people with ozone have trouble with the Dichlor then bleach method. Is this true for most tubs with ozonaters or just isolated instances.

And, will I have to decontaminate a brand new tub?

thanks.

I agree with Mikey. I've read every post on this forum since July and I don't recall seeing that issue. I have been using the Dichlor-then-bleach method for 4 months without issue and I'm still on my original fill. I also have a 24x7 circulation pump with a CD ozonator.

Regarding decontaminating a new tub ... I definitely would.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize there was a risk of bacteria in a brand new tub not used by anyone else previously. Can I at least skip the spa flush step or will there still be 'gunk' in the lines of a brand new tub?

Have most people here on the forum also decontaminated their new tubs prior to use?

I don't think there is any need to decontaminate a new tub. I certainly didn't with mine that I got a little over a week ago.

I have also read several posts about the dichlor then bleach method and ozone. I'm using a Nature2 type cartridge, which you could use as an insurance policy. I decided to start off with MPS rather than chlorine, and use dichlor as a weekly shock. So far so good, but it's way early.

I agree with Mikey. I've read every post on this forum since July and I don't recall seeing that issue. I have been using the Dichlor-then-bleach method for 4 months without issue and I'm still on my original fill. I also have a 24x7 circulation pump with a CD ozonator.

Regarding decontaminating a new tub ... I definitely would.

I have a question regarding ozonator.

As you stated you running CD ozonator 24x7days a week(all the time).Is that what the manufacture recommended for you or this is your choice?I believe your hydro bill must be extra high for a small result which you accomplish by running 24x7.

I do have ozonator and I was told by manufacture to set up 2 to 4 times a day 1 hour each time.

regards

My Jacuzzi J480 default is 24 hours/day on the pump with the ozonator running the whole time. There are no options for the ozonator as it runs whenever the main pump is on. However, I only run the main pump 8 hours/day which seems to be more than enough to keep the water clear. What is the standard folks use for running their filters?

As you stated you running CD ozonator 24x7days a week (all the time). Is that what the manufacture recommended for you or this is your choice? I believe your hydro bill must be extra high for a small result which you accomplish by running 24x7.

I do have ozonator and I was told by manufacture to set up 2 to 4 times a day 1 hour each time.

I have a 2009 Hot Spring Envoy (450 Gallon). The SilentFlo 5000 circulation pump runs 24x7 and consumes less energy than a 40 watt light bulb. The CD ozonator also runs 24x7. For the last 6 months, my electric bill as averaged $8/mo higher than the same period the previous year.

I didn't realize there was a risk of bacteria in a brand new tub not used by anyone else previously. Can I at least skip the spa flush step or will there still be 'gunk' in the lines of a brand new tub?

Spas are wet tested, usually with recycled water, at the factory. This water remains in the lines during shipment and storage. It may be many weeks/months before the spa is sold. This is plenty of time for bacteria grow into a problem. I know, it happened to me. Don't think you would need the spa flush, but I would recommend an initial super-shock.

EDIT: The more I think about this, I believe using Spa System Flush, Spa Purge or Swirl Away on new tubs would be a good idea.

^ what he said. My tub was a second so who knows how long it was lying around after being tested.

I've had my tub 100 days and am on day 6 of a fresh start. If things go bad now... I'll know it's user error, chemical choice ( :lol: ), etc...

I don't know if the Nitro's decom method would be an overkill, but you'd sure know that you're starting with a perfectly clean tub.

Good luck

As you stated you running CD ozonator 24x7days a week (all the time). Is that what the manufacture recommended for you or this is your choice? I believe your hydro bill must be extra high for a small result which you accomplish by running 24x7.

I have a 2009 Hot Spring Envoy (450 Gallon). The SilentFlo 5000 circulation pump runs 24x7 and consumes less energy than a 40 watt light bulb. The CD ozonator also runs 24x7. For the last 6 months, my electric bill as averaged $8/mo higher than the same period the previous year.

The ozonator on my Sundance runs 24/7 - this is hardwired with no option to turn it on or off for any length of time. I believe this is common for many tubs with ozonators, i.e. they're designed to run 24/7 (but I could be wrong on that). Like most tubs I do have flexibility on main pump filter cycles - mine are set to run for 30 mins every 12 hours, which is enough to keep my water clean and balanced. My tub puts my electric bill up around $30-$40 per month, but much of that is due to higher than average NY prices, plus Buffalo has it's fair share of cold and snowy winters.

You should use a thorough spa cleaning product such as Spa System Flush after you first get a spa due to leftover chemicals as well as biofilm that can form from water left in the tub after wet-testing. You were lucky to be able to go 4 months if you didn't use such a product or a thorough decontamination procedure. After that initial cleaning, you should be in good shape if you consistently maintain proper sanitizer levels.

This was Richard's response to my post about having a nasty green scum in my spa after using a flush. FYI - my water was clear and test strips showed it was balanced. This scum was definitely residue from manufacturing. I highly recommend a spa flush if you've never done one.

Laurie

You should use a thorough spa cleaning product such as Spa System Flush after you first get a spa due to leftover chemicals as well as biofilm that can form from water left in the tub after wet-testing. You were lucky to be able to go 4 months if you didn't use such a product or a thorough decontamination procedure. After that initial cleaning, you should be in good shape if you consistently maintain proper sanitizer levels.

This was Richard's response to my post about having a nasty green scum in my spa after using a flush. FYI - my water was clear and test strips showed it was balanced. This scum was definitely residue from manufacturing. I highly recommend a spa flush if you've never done one.

Laurie

thanks, we have decided to do the full decon process per Nitro's instructions. I have a product called Spa Purge that we are going to use. We just started to fill a little while ago.