Saw My First Strong Spa Today.

Roger

Not a bad economy tub. The customer was happy (I was disposing of there 20 YO Hot Spring) They wanted another HS but couldn't afford 8500 so they though this would be a viable option. I looked it over and it is.....yep an economy tub but not bad. As good as several other economy tubs I hold in high regard. It isn't a high end tub by no means and far from it, but it seemed to be exactly what it sells for with more bells and whistles. Lots of little jets to get the count up but it moved water around. The plastic cabinet was a little flimsy compared to the D1 or HS fake brick but not bad. Fit and finish was economy but overall not terrible. Insulation look a bit lacking with no tight seal on the cabinet. Seems that could be fixed. He is going to let me know how his power bill holds up this winter. I got some ideas for improving his insulation. He's 85 miles south of me and Costco is 110 but the winters in all of Minnesota can get brutal.

Roger, buddy, I'm worried about you. Feeling OK? :D :D :D

Seriously- how do you think it will stack up against the defunct brands- looking at the cabinet, do you think it will hold up? How does the plumbing look? I haven't seen one- prob won't unless a dealer around here picks one up or they show up at Costco when I'm on a pickle / popcorn run.

By saying "not bad economy tub" , can you give a few specific examples of why you say that? ie what particular features or components are less that what one would find on a mid range tub?

I've seen alot of tubs from top of the line to bottom of the heap. 25 years old and still running and 5 years old and out of life. Inexpensive PVC and flex tube, barb fittings and gate valves. And plumbing components that are of better quality just from the look. There are currently so many manufacturers of plumbing components and I have been in the plumbing industry for so long that it is easy to see the differences in both types of components. If you buy plumbing components from Ferguson Enterprises and compare them to plumbing components from Home Depot some things you won't see the differences (1/2-2" PVC 90's) but flex PVC and slice valves you will see the differences.

I have worked on and am married to tubs that cost 2500 new to over 10 G's and in the last 8-10 years have seen the insides (intimately) of literaly hundreds of tubs. While I did not see the insides of this tub intimately because it was working great, I did see it. My opinion of it comes from my experience. Economy Balboa and Waterway. A fit and finish that fits it's price. Owners are not getting ripped off. There getting what they are paying for. This of course is simply my opinion, take it or leave it.

Reef, I can't answer that. The defunct brands sold through Costco never made it to the tubs life expectancy before the manufacturers went kaput. I know there are still some 3-4 YO Infinitys going. I also know as they age they become more problematic. Most people who own those brands don't stick around here. Besides theres thousands and thousands of tub owners of all brands that never come here, have no clue about hot tub forums and could care less what we think. We are getting such a small percentage of tub owners here on the forum that it's kinda irrelevent what floats around here. If we see a hundred owners of problem infinitys on this board and 15 good ones. There are thousands of owners we don't know about that have had one experience or the other.

Hey Roger, thanks for the third party opinion on the tub. Its good to hear that you feel the tub is good value based on the price point. I am still very happy with mine so far. I kind of liken it to some of the car brands. We'd all like to go buy a mercedes, but sometimes we end up with a hyundai because of our budget. I'd have liked to get a HS Grandee or a Limelight, but paying twice what I paid for with the Strong Spa wasn't a financially sound decision for me. I couldn't be happier with my spa so far though, and I went in knowing I bought a $5,000 spa for $5,000. Not a $12,000 spa for $5,000.

Hey Roger, thanks for the third party opinion on the tub. Its good to hear that you feel the tub is good value based on the price point. I am still very happy with mine so far. I kind of liken it to some of the car brands. We'd all like to go buy a mercedes, but sometimes we end up with a hyundai because of our budget. I'd have liked to get a HS Grandee or a Limelight, but paying twice what I paid for with the Strong Spa wasn't a financially sound decision for me. I couldn't be happier with my spa so far though, and I went in knowing I bought a $5,000 spa for $5,000. Not a $12,000 spa for $5,000.

No, a spa worth $5000 that costs $12000 and up would be a Thermospa.

Roger, good synopsis of what an economy based tub is.

Don't buy a Hyundai...get a Kia

We are close to ordering a Strong Spa....Until a month ago, and reading this forum, I knew little about tubs other than I liked being in them. My hope (and immpression) with the Costco / Strong Spa is that it was designed and manufactured with industry standard components and techniques, (and is not fully foamed), is that if in 6 years, when the tub is past warranty, and hypothetically Strong is out of business, repairs can be made using standard spa components, and with decent accessability, some repairs can be done yourself.... Seems like Spa are mechanically actually very simple devices, and repairs shold be easy if parts are available?

We are close to ordering a Strong Spa....Until a month ago, and reading this forum, I knew little about tubs other than I liked being in them. My hope (and immpression) with the Costco / Strong Spa is that it was designed and manufactured with industry standard components and techniques, (and is not fully foamed), is that if in 6 years, when the tub is past warranty, and hypothetically Strong is out of business, repairs can be made using standard spa components, and with decent accessability, some repairs can be done yourself.... Seems like Spa are mechanically actually very simple devices, and repairs shold be easy if parts are available?

That is exactly the conclusion I came to and thus we bought a Strong spa from Costco. I've owned a boat for years and maintaining something with a fiberglass shell, thru-hulls, hoses, pumps and simple electronic controls is pretty straightforward. The Strong spa has A.O. Smith motors driving Waterway pumps with Waterway jets and Balboa controls. You can find all of these parts online and even locally in some spa stores. Maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing these things is not rocket science.

The Strong spa is exactly as advertised and after a month we are enjoying it very much.

Repairs are real easy for the mechanicly inclined. Diognosing problems and not being a component switcher until proper operation is not as simple. In other words if you don't know the problem and start changing your components based on your diognosis and still don't have proper operation, so you change another and possibly another until it's runs right. Then you have spent money that wasn't neccesary. Good luck.

I've found that foam doesn't make much of a difference and find it dissheartening that people base there decision on that. 99 percent or better of my repairs are in the equipment bay where there is no foam on any brand. Granted my repair numbers are way down because of other work commitments but I have done 1 foam repair in 2009 and 61 tub repairs. I had a thread going many years ago when my repairs were up in the hundreds and I was documenting foam repairs versus non foam repairs. And for me there were so few repairs in the foam it seemed the horror storys non full foam tub sellers were selling with were BS. But hey, maybe the extra cost of operation that non full foam tubs cost is worth the security. Even though it seems like a non issue to me. Arctic is getting close to costing the same (2nd place to a FF tub in there own sponsored survey) But no one designing non full foam tubs is doing it like them.

• 1 year later...

By saying "not bad economy tub" , can you give a few specific examples of why you say that? ie what particular features or components are less that what one would find on a mid range tub?

Call me the wiz, Just clarifying some of your questions,why not a dealer? Not all dealers sell hot tubs to get full commission,as I am one, I won't name myself,but I sell Strong line of hot tubs,very nice tub! Actually Costco gets a base model, meaning it does not have all the bells and whistles the private dealers have on there Strong Tubs such as builtin lighted foldout of the cabinet steps & towel Warmer,Lounger option,choice of 6 different shell colors,you get one-sterling silver,nice color ,but there are others at the dealer,better warranty,and service is #1.All this for $1400.00 more than Costco. And free delivery and setup.That is why a Dealer can outweigh things a bit.But still a great price for what you get at Costco too.It's still a Strong just not the glorified model from a dealer.And you are a name not a number!Hope this helps in some way.I have been repairing all makes of hot tubs for 30 yrs now. The truth is if you live in the north,buy a tub made in the north.They know what is needed to keep your tub working properly in this freezing weather.And that the truth!Would you buy a coconut tree in the south and plant it in the north where there is definate winter? It would just not be right.But you can buy one and they will gladly mail it to you!

Call me the wiz, Just clarifying some of your questions,why not a dealer? Not all dealers sell hot tubs to get full commission,as I am one, I won't name myself,but I sell Strong line of hot tubs,very nice tub! Actually Costco gets a base model, meaning it does not have all the bells and whistles the private dealers have on there Strong Tubs such as builtin lighted foldout of the cabinet steps & towel Warmer,Lounger option,choice of 6 different shell colors,you get one-sterling silver,nice color ,but there are others at the dealer,better warranty,and service is #1.All this for $1400.00 more than Costco. And free delivery and setup.That is why a Dealer can outweigh things a bit.But still a great price for what you get at Costco too.It's still a Strong just not the glorified model from a dealer.And you are a name not a number!Hope this helps in some way.I have been repairing all makes of hot tubs for 30 yrs now. The truth is if you live in the north,buy a tub made in the north.They know what is needed to keep your tub working properly in this freezing weather.And that the truth!Would you buy a coconut tree in the south and plant it in the north where there is definate winter? It would just not be right.But you can buy one and they will gladly mail it to you!

The only issue I have is the last part of that post, the "buy a spa made in a cold state" statement relative to energy efficiency is wildly inaccurate. Some of the best spas brands for quality and energy efficiency are made in warm weather states (Caldera, d1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance) while there are some spas made in cold weather states that are very iffy IMO when it comes to energy efficiency (i.e. Master made in Indiana for example). Worry less about what state its made in and more about the quality of the product.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....the most energy effeicent tubs in the world are built in California!!! North Face jackets are made in California and they are regarded as one of the warmest here in Northern Minnesota!!!! One of the warmest femme looking jackets!! Carhart is warmer and more manely IMO

The only issue I have is the last part of that post, the "buy a spa made in a cold state" statement relative to energy efficiency is wildly inaccurate. Some of the best spas brands for quality and energy efficiency are made in warm weather states (Caldera, d1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance) while there are some spas made in cold weather states that are very iffy IMO when it comes to energy efficiency (i.e. Master made in Indiana for example). Worry less about what state its made in and more about the quality of the product.

In my 30 years as a hot tub tech, I seriously have had problems with the tubs you mention more than others due to the fact,most have a independant circ pump that runs 24/7 .This consists of an small electic motor that is an actual magnetic impulse motor turning a small impeller that is free floating and turns magnetically.Which is also non rebuildable.But besides that has a 3/4" inlet line that feeds off a main line coming in between the base and the motor foundation just about 1-2" above the freezing ground and a 3/4" outlet line which goes to pass water through the heater.I have more of them freezing dut to a little iceing or a strand of long hair locking the impeller from turing that in turn creates a flo problem that in turn shuts the heater down.Now it's on its way to freezing.Fine if you catch it in time to repair it,before it turns to solid ice.Fact,I have more of them on my repair list than any other.The strong tub is a thermos using 2" lines feeding the heater and pump impellers attached to the electric motors that will litterally grind up any debris that passes through.I am not saying they dont freeze,but that circ pump action that the supposed premo tubs have is a problem waiting to happen,thank God for warranty,but after warranty you are on you own.One other thing about strong is it has a 3" insulated base.I have sold estimated 50 over the last two years and have nothing but happy customers.But this is from a dealer not a base unit sold at an ecomomy wherehouse.

In my 30 years as a hot tub tech, I seriously have had problems with the tubs you mention more than others due to the fact,most have a independant circ pump that runs 24/7 .This consists of an small electic motor that is an actual magnetic impulse motor turning a small impeller that is free floating and turns magnetically.Which is also non rebuildable.But besides that has a 3/4" inlet line that feeds off a main line coming in between the base and the motor foundation just about 1-2" above the freezing ground and a 3/4" outlet line which goes to pass water through the heater.I have more of them freezing dut to a little iceing or a strand of long hair locking the impeller from turing that in turn creates a flo problem that in turn shuts the heater down.Now it's on its way to freezing.Fine if you catch it in time to repair it,before it turns to solid ice.Fact,I have more of them on my repair list than any other.The strong tub is a thermos using 2" lines feeding the heater and pump impellers attached to the electric motors that will litterally grind up any debris that passes through.I am not saying they dont freeze,but that circ pump action that the supposed premo tubs have is a problem waiting to happen,thank God for warranty,but after warranty you are on you own.One other thing about strong is it has a 3" insulated base.I have sold estimated 50 over the last two years and have nothing but happy customers.But this is from a dealer not a base unit sold at an ecomomy wherehouse.

Hmmmm....my 30 years of experience is a tad different. While I have seen premature failure on small circ pumps, I have also seen them last for 10-15 years!!! The fact that they use the same amount of power as a light bulb and you can't even hear them run is a huge advantage over a jet pump.

Hmmmm....my 30 years of experience is a tad different. While I have seen premature failure on small circ pumps, I have also seen them last for 10-15 years!!! The fact that they use the same amount of power as a light bulb and you can't even hear them run is a huge advantage over a jet pump.

Sorry, I don't mean all hottubs with the small circ pumpfail, in fact there are things on the market to help prevent it,though they don't always work either.Such as covers that fit over suction covers to help prevent crud that bypasses the filter to run through the pump. I personally am repairing more tubs with the small circ pump,verses the low end of the primary pump on another make of tub.I would say that is probably the reason they don't use a magnetic circ on most tubs made in the north.While in the southern states where it is warmer,this would not be an issue,but I litterally live in Siberia. As a regular circ mode on a ,say 2.5hp will litterally spin hair though the system until it goes to filter if it gets picked up at the bottom of the tub by the suction inlets in footwell,verses the small magnetic circ,a long hair will litterally bind it.Been there,seen it.Take one apart sometime,the impellar is free floating using only magnetic impulse,you can pull the impeller right out by hand. While on a regular pump circ mode you have power behind it as it is threaded onto the pump motor shaft.I would loose a finger trying to stop that impeller while you can take a thin piece of paper to stop the magnetic circ pump.Try it sometime,it makes you think.At least I see it as I have experimented in this dept.I used to build my own hot tubs out of high school,went on to building homes. But always experimenting for the best of both worlds.Have a good day.

Sorry, I don't mean all hottubs with the small circ pumpfail, in fact there are things on the market to help prevent it,though they don't always work either.Such as covers that fit over suction covers to help prevent crud that bypasses the filter to run through the pump. I personally am repairing more tubs with the small circ pump,verses the low end of the primary pump on another make of tub.I would say that is probably the reason they don't use a magnetic circ on most tubs made in the north.While in the southern states where it is warmer,this would not be an issue,but I litterally live in Siberia. As a regular circ mode on a ,say 2.5hp will litterally spin hair though the system until it goes to filter if it gets picked up at the bottom of the tub by the suction inlets in footwell,verses the small magnetic circ,a long hair will litterally bind it.Been there,seen it.Take one apart sometime,the impellar is free floating using only magnetic impulse,you can pull the impeller right out by hand. While on a regular pump circ mode you have power behind it as it is threaded onto the pump motor shaft.I would loose a finger trying to stop that impeller while you can take a thin piece of paper to stop the magnetic circ pump.Try it sometime,it makes you think.At least I see it as I have experimented in this dept.I used to build my own hot tubs out of high school,went on to building homes. But always experimenting for the best of both worlds.Have a good day.

Your logic would be fine if it were not for the fact that most (all?) circ pumps draw water in through a filter, thereby eliminating any potential for hair / paper / whatever getting hung up in the impeller.

• 2 weeks later...

Your logic would be fine if it were not for the fact that most (all?) circ pumps draw water in through a filter, thereby eliminating any potential for hair / paper / whatever getting hung up in the impeller.

I am working presently on a hotsprings maxxus that the circ stopped working,what I found was crud,white in color,consistency of lard.Stopped impeller,froze line to circ.After installing new circ,found it was not drawing through filter,instead through an orifice affixed in side shell to draw water from tub itself to feed circ.Anything that could be sucked through a 3/8" hole was on its way to the circ pump. This is a losing battle as there will always be people trying to deny this issue.All I can say is I am hands on, and have mainly hotsprings and sundance going down due to the circ pump stopping and thus freezing the tub.Actually I am not complaining as I get $90.00 an hour to fix them. Without them here in the north I would be hurting for work.Take one apart sometime,it might tell you what I've been stating.Signing out forever as I know what I know and thats the size of it all.Please make your own decisions as most tubs are beautiful,it's just look at where you live,weather conditions,to ensure the best for your location.

I am working presently on a hotsprings maxxus that the circ stopped working,what I found was crud,white in color,consistency of lard.Stopped impeller,froze line to circ.After installing new circ,found it was not drawing through filter,instead through an orifice affixed in side shell to draw water from tub itself to feed circ.Anything that could be sucked through a 3/8" hole was on its way to the circ pump. This is a losing battle as there will always be people trying to deny this issue.All I can say is I am hands on, and have mainly hotsprings and sundance going down due to the circ pump stopping and thus freezing the tub.Actually I am not complaining as I get $90.00 an hour to fix them. Without them here in the north I would be hurting for work.Take one apart sometime,it might tell you what I've been stating.Signing out forever as I know what I know and thats the size of it all.Please make your own decisions as most tubs are beautiful,it's just look at where you live,weather conditions,to ensure the best for your location.

Before you sign out please let us know what a HotSpring Maxxus is. Never heard of one.

that sounds like bad water chemistry to me, they need to take showers to get all the gunk off, and run plumbing cleaner through it once and awhile. you are just going to clog up the new circ pump by the sounds of it.

that sounds like bad water chemistry to me, they need to take showers to get all the gunk off, and run plumbing cleaner through it once and awhile. you are just going to clog up the new circ pump by the sounds of it.

Exactly, sounds like water mold...which also happens in tubs without circ pumps. The filter gets clogged with the same stuff, causes the pressure switch to kill power to the heater, and you have the same condition as the tub with the circ pump. No heat.

Before you sign out please let us know what a HotSpring Maxxus is. Never heard of one.

My appology ,yes Sundance Maxxus, I get so caught up with tub repair and all the models,litterally it becomes irrelivant as the customer stated to me, he thought it was a Maxxus,yes it is a Hotsprings,went over my head!Happens,I am litterally swamped with more than 40 hottubs waiting repair,I am set till spring,But the fact is I work on all makes and they are mostly out of california & arizona & Florida.About 10% are from the northern tier.And most usually they are replacement of a pressure switch or heating element in most cases.

My appology ,yes Sundance Maxxus, I get so caught up with tub repair and all the models,litterally it becomes irrelivant as the customer stated to me, he thought it was a Maxxus,yes it is a Hotsprings,went over my head!Happens,I am litterally swamped with more than 40 hottubs waiting repair,I am set till spring,But the fact is I work on all makes and they are mostly out of california & arizona & Florida.About 10% are from the northern tier.And most usually they are replacement of a pressure switch or heating element in most cases.

Of course they are mostly from CA, AZ or FL. That is where most hot tubs are made. 40 spas waiting for repairs. That sets you up until spring? 4 service calls a day and you would be done in 10 days.