Spk In Display Of Raypak Pool/spa Heater

bteddlie

Hello all,

This is a great forum and thanks to all the posters.

Went to turn on the hot tub the other night but no joy. The Raypak display had SPK. If I turned the heater off/on, you can hear the unit clicking (as if trying to light), I believe CFH displays briefly, and then SPK. I can then smell just a bit of gas.

The manual tells me SPK is for spark which I assume to be part of the lighting sequence. Does anyone know if SPK means the pilot or related electronics is/are bad?

Thank you in advance.

Brian

CFH means "Call for heat" and SPK means "Spark". They are status codes, not fault codes.

Does the display say "Service"?

Edit (Ignore this part about the Fault History File, it does not pertain to your unit.)

Fault History File

To access the Fault History File, press the Mode button until the display reads OFF. Press both the "UP"

and "DOWN" buttons at the same time (5-7 seconds) until the display changes and shows a fault code. The

latest fault code will be displayed first. By pressing the "UP" or "DOWN" buttons, a series of faults will be displayed from the last (highest number) to the first (lowest number). If the buttons are not touched after 5-7 seconds, the display will return to its normal operation.

What model heater do you have?

CFH means "Call for heat" and SPK means "Spark". They are status codes, not fault codes.

Does the display say "Service"?

Fault History File

To access the Fault History File, press the Mode button until the display reads OFF. Press both the "UP"

and "DOWN" buttons at the same time (5-7 seconds) until the display changes and shows a fault code. The

latest fault code will be displayed first. By pressing the "UP" or "DOWN" buttons, a series of faults will be displayed from the last (highest number) to the first (lowest number). If the buttons are not touched after 5-7 seconds, the display will return to its normal operation.

What model heater do you have?

No "Service" in the display. Couldn't figure out how to get the Fault History to display.

The model is a P-R335A-EN.

You could have a bit of soot or spider web on the pilot assembly. This could be causing the spark to jump elsewhere instead of over the pilot jet. Take the end of a screwdriver and tap the pilot assembly and try to light agian. Look to see if the pilot is lit (even though the spark is still jumping). Is it lit and still sparking?

You could have a bit of soot or spider web on the pilot assembly. This could be causing the spark to jump elsewhere instead of over the pilot jet. Take the end of a screwdriver and tap the pilot assembly and try to light agian. Look to see if the pilot is lit (even though the spark is still jumping). Is it lit and still sparking?

Interestingly, there appears to be a ton of soot beneath the unit. Will have to wait for the weekend to clean that out but I'll try the screwdriver trick. Thanks for the tip.

Interestingly, there appears to be a ton of soot beneath the unit.

A "ton" of soot indicates a serious problem. You should have the unit serviced by a qualified technician.

You should turn off the power and the gas to the unit until it can be serviced.

The heat exchanger and burners need to be checked and cleaned.

Sooting can be caused by a number of things:

1) Excessive flow rates causing low temperature in heat exchanger and external condensation.

2) Defective Unitherm Governor.

3) Inadequate air supply.

4) Improper venting.

5) Improper gas pressure.

6) Clogged burners.

http://www.raypak.com/uploads/6000.52AG.pdf

Is this heater in an encloser?

A ton? Can you post a pic of the floor of the heater?

Pool Clown (et al),

Sorry for the late reply.

I can't for the life of me figure out to get a pic posted. I found the insert image button and pasted what I thought would work. Anyhow...I cleaned out all the soot and tried again. I got it to fire once but not since. You can hear a clicking during the SPK cycle coming from the bottom of the unit (where I cleaned out the soot). I presume that to be the sparking mechanism attempting to ignite the gas. Think I'm just gonna button it up and call for help. Thanks to everyone.

The heater sits outside next to the rest of the pump equipment. Is that what you were asking?

Brian

Is this heater in an encloser?

A ton? Can you post a pic of the floor of the heater?

Pool Clown (et al),

Sorry for the late reply.

I can't for the life of me figure out to get a pic posted. I found the insert image button and pasted what I thought would work. Anyhow...I cleaned out all the soot and tried again. I got it to fire once but not since. You can hear a clicking during the SPK cycle coming from the bottom of the unit (where I cleaned out the soot). I presume that to be the sparking mechanism attempting to ignite the gas. Think I'm just gonna button it up and call for help. Thanks to everyone.

The heater sits outside next to the rest of the pump equipment. Is that what you were asking?

Brian

Yep! You can get sooting if the heater cant get enough air OR enough gas. At this point i would agree. Being there is a faster diagnosis.