Circulation Pump On 24hr A Day?

baggies

My mother has a hot tub and for some strange reason the circulation pump runs at low speed all the time, this pump is used to circulate the water when heating and althought the heater does turn off when it gets to temp the pump remains on all the time. If I manually alter the control panel and drop the temp setting down by 5 degrees or more the pump stops the equipment on the tub is Hydroquip 9000, I am unable to find much information on it regarding 24hr circulation and if it is possible to stop this or is it a problem with the tub look forward to some help here.

:unsure:

My mother has a hot tub and for some strange reason the circulation pump runs at low speed all the time, this pump is used to circulate the water when heating and althought the heater does turn off when it gets to temp the pump remains on all the time. If I manually alter the control panel and drop the temp setting down by 5 degrees or more the pump stops the equipment on the tub is Hydroquip 9000, I am unable to find much information on it regarding 24hr circulation and if it is possible to stop this or is it a problem with the tub look forward to some help here.

Generally, you want the circulation pump running all the time. It keeps things fresh. That said, look for settings for the filter cycle. That is usually what controls the circ pump. If it is a Gecko system, there are settings for how long the filter cycle runs from continuous to something less than that.

Generally, you want the circulation pump running all the time. It keeps things fresh. That said, look for settings for the filter cycle. That is usually what controls the circ pump. If it is a Gecko system, there are settings for how long the filter cycle runs from continuous to something less than that.

Thanks for that, I am not to sure what make of system it is as the only visable wording is Hydroquip. But how come when I lower the temp via the control panel this circ pump goes off that is the bit I can't understand?

Circ pumps usually have 2 functions - firstly to constantly filter the water, and secondly to push water through the heater. So yes, your circ pump should be constantly on, and it's not a problem. In addition to the circ pump you can also set addition filter cycles using the main pump(s) as the previous poster said.

If your circuit logic is the same as my tub then, above 95 degrees, the circ pump will shut off if the actual water temperature is too high above the programmed temperature (2 degrees on my tub, but 5 degrees on yours). This is to stop the pump putting any extra heat into the system if you live somewhere very hot like AZ for example.

So in short your system is working fine and I'd leave it alone - circ pumps cost very little to operate c/w the main pumps.

Circ pumps usually have 2 functions - firstly to constantly filter the water, and secondly to push water through the heater. So yes, your circ pump should be constantly on, and it's not a problem. In addition to the circ pump you can also set addition filter cycles using the main pump(s) as the previous poster said.

If your circuit logic is the same as my tub then, above 95 degrees, the circ pump will shut off if the actual water temperature is too high above the programmed temperature (2 degrees on my tub, but 5 degrees on yours). This is to stop the pump putting any extra heat into the system if you live somewhere very hot like AZ for example.

So in short your system is working fine and I'd leave it alone - circ pumps cost very little to operate c/w the main pumps.

What can I say you guys are the best no problem too small Thank you very much Mikey for your time in answering my query maybe one day I can repay the favour.

Thank You so much! :D

I have two homes with two different spas. One spa has a small 24hr running circulation pump (FreshWater III system with silver ion/CD ozone generator) and it seems to work fine...no real issues there. My other spa only runs it's circulation pump (CD ozone system) at 1/2 power and 1hr every 12hrs (I manually set it below the manufacturer's recommended minimum of 2hrs every 12 hrs) and it seems to work fine (in fact, I can go longer between fills and the water quality [debris, clarity, etc.] seems better)...no issues at all.

The 24hr constant circulation spa cost about 50% more to operate (estimated based on a c-clamp amp meter measurement at an identical average cost of $0.14 per kW)...which is somewhat trivial since both spas rarely cost more than $30 and $50 (respectively) per month to operate with very similar usage and both have what I would consider to be excellent systems for maintaining ideal water clarity and sanitation.

The differences could be caused by many variables, namely insulation (although the 24hr circulation pump spa resides in a much warmer climate), cover quality/fit, usage, maintenance, different ozone generators, etc.

• 10 years later...