Just Starting

willow

we are waiting for delivery of our spa and the jacuzzi dealer has asked us if we want clorine, bromine or spa solution. the tub will be used ALOT by our kids and their friends. I do not know what to choose, the dealer is pushing spa solution. HELP.

Check out my links below for the correct way to use Chlorine.

Just got my tub a couple weeks ago and was in the same spot. i went back and forth for weeks between bromine and chlorine. I was really swayed by bromine, but in the end went with chlorine for a number of reasons.

One was odor. Bromine is not worse or better. But it is stronger and harder to remove form skin and materials.

Second was cost. If you use Nitro's dichlor/bleach plan, chlorine will be significantly more affordable. I should add, I have not yet adopted his system as I d not have a Taylor test kit yet. But will use it upon my next fill. For now, I'm doing a straight chlorine plan.

THird, despite the claims that bromine is easier, I found numerous posts about people who could never get their water levels dialed in and easy to maintain. In fact, it seems most people who use bromine eventually switch to chlorine. I'm sure many people love bromine, but it seems more people love chlorine.

Also, I must add that chlorine up keep is a lot easier than it sounds. Reading about it scared me. Doing it is a breeze.

Just got my tub a couple weeks ago and was in the same spot. i went back and forth for weeks between bromine and chlorine. I was really swayed by bromine, but in the end went with chlorine for a number of reasons.

One was odor. Bromine is not worse or better. But it is stronger and harder to remove form skin and materials.

Second was cost. If you use Nitro's dichlor/bleach plan, chlorine will be significantly more affordable. I should add, I have not yet adopted his system as I d not have a Taylor test kit yet. But will use it upon my next fill. For now, I'm doing a straight chlorine plan.

THird, despite the claims that bromine is easier, I found numerous posts about people who could never get their water levels dialed in and easy to maintain. In fact, it seems most people who use bromine eventually switch to chlorine. I'm sure many people love bromine, but it seems more people love chlorine.

Also, I must add that chlorine up keep is a lot easier than it sounds. Reading about it scared me. Doing it is a breeze.

+1

I used a system similar to Nitro's for more than 10 years and it is a great way to go. However, my wife and I are often away from home and (for the last 25+ years) I have used Bromine with great success. I buy in-bulk online and have reduced my spa chemical costs to $3-$6 per month...with no issues or concerns (smell, irritation or water hygiene).

If you buy your spa chemicals (especially those related to Bromine) from a local spa shop, you are going to pay through the nose.

Here's an example regarding MPS:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21724

Note: I currently use a Spa Frog floater Bromine/Mineral system (purchased in-bulk online)...the mineral cartridge last at least 4 months and the Bromine cartridge ("3" orifice setting) typically will last slightly more than 3 months (420 gallon "as filled" spa at 100F used 3-5 times per week for 20-50 minutes). I rarely use more than 1-2oz of MPS per week and my water balance stays spot-on with very minimal adjustments.

Here's is a related reference:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21696

Bottom line: I would use Nitro's method, especially if you are only occasionally away from home. However, I would not discount a 3-step Bromine method and I can personally attest to not incurring any of the above "Bromine negatives" after many years of personal experience.