Female Sensitivity To Chemicals!

nononsense42

We have been trying out a hot tub and my husbands loves it. I have a problem though. One I haven't seen discussed here. I'm asking because my husband won't buy the tub if I can't use it. I feel bad about that. I have had the same problem in the past when I have used my son's hot tub. He was using several products because of problem water. I don't know what though.

It is like an irritating chemical soup for me and causes nasty "female" problems. It also drys out my skin and I'm flaking off like the middle of winter.

Embarassing, but if anyone can tell me what I can do or what chemicals to use, I'd really appreciate it.

The dealer gave us Aqua Finesse Chlorinating tablets and to put in 1 a week. We also have the liquid Aqua Finesse one step solution to put in once a week. He is picking up the tub today and my husband will miss it :(

Any advice would be appreciated so much. Thanks!

I'm guessing here, but I think your problem has to do with poor water maintenance. If your water is properly balanced and sanitized, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd recommend the Dichlor/Bleach method (see below for more info). If done correctly, it uses very little chemicals and is almost like soaking in pure water.

I'm guessing here, but I think your problem has to do with poor water maintenance. If your water is properly balanced and sanitized, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd recommend the Dichlor/Bleach method (see below for more info). If done correctly, it uses very little chemicals and is almost like soaking in pure water.

+1

With today's spas (with ozonators, surface skimming and effective filtering), you may avoid dryness, stinging/pain and general discomfort/irritation by following Nitro's method stated above.

Because my wife and I like to travel, we use a 3-step Bromine method (Spa Frog mineral/Bromine float cartridges)...and when home, we keep our sanitizer levels at 1.0ppm +/- 0.5 will no ill effects.

Note: I have owned spas since the early '70s and have been using Bromine since the early '80s. By following a disciplined and informed approach to water chemistry/sanitation, you can enjoy your spa without many of the self-inflicted problems incurred by many uninitiated consumers (namely premature material/parts failure, skin rash, offensive smells and unhealthy water).

With today's spas (with ozonators, surface skimming and effective filtering), you may avoid dryness, stinging/pain and general discomfort/irritation by following Nitro's method stated above.

Because my wife and I like to travel, we use a 3-step Bromine method (Spa Frog mineral/Bromine float cartridges)...and when home, we keep our sanitizer levels at 1.0ppm +/- 0.5 will no ill effects.

Note: I have owned spas since the early '70s and have been using Bromine since the early '80s. By following a disciplined and informed approach to water chemistry/sanitation, you can enjoy your spa without many of the self-inflicted problems incurred by many uninitiated consumers (namely premature material/parts failure, skin rash, offensive smells and unhealthy water).

Thank you all for your helpful replies. The dealer brought the hot tub and put the chemicals in and never tested the water.

He told my husband after 1 week to put them in again which he did and that evening I had more severe problems. I think the dealer thought it did not matter about testing the water where we were only planning on keeping it for 2 weeks. Not good from what you are saying! The Silk Balance sounds like it would be good and from what I read in the method above it is very important to have the right balance.

Silk Balance, as described here, still requires an EPA-approved sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, Baqua/biguanide/PHMB, or Nature2 with non-chlorine shock). I doubt very much that the issue you are having has anything to do with biofilms which is what this product claims to prevent.

Silk Balance is most likely a phosphate buffer since it reduces calcium levels, locks in pH, and lets one ignore TA. You would not want to use it in any (rare) spa that had exposed grout in tile or plaster. If you were to use the Dichlor-then-bleach method, then the addition of 50 ppm Borates normally done with that method will provide some of the water surface tension reduction talked about with the Silk Balance product.

I would first try one of the standard methods with proper water chemical balance. It is possible that you have a chemical reaction to the sanitizer that was used. Was it chlorine or bromine? If you truly have a reaction to both, then you can try either Nature2 with non-chlorine shock (MPS) or use Baqua/biguanide/PHMB. The worst case would be that anything strong enough to sanitize the spa by killing bacteria might also cause you problems, possibly by killing some of the beneficial bacteria that is a part of all of us.

Silk Balance, as described here, still requires an EPA-approved sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, Baqua/biguanide/PHMB, or Nature2 with non-chlorine shock). I doubt very much that the issue you are having has anything to do with biofilms which is what this product claims to prevent.

Silk Balance is most likely a phosphate buffer since it reduces calcium levels, locks in pH, and lets one ignore TA. You would not want to use it in any (rare) spa that had exposed grout in tile or plaster. If you were to use the Dichlor-then-bleach method, then the addition of 50 ppm Borates normally done with that method will provide some of the water surface tension reduction talked about with the Silk Balance product.

I would first try one of the standard methods with proper water chemical balance. It is possible that you have a chemical reaction to the sanitizer that was used. Was it chlorine or bromine? If you truly have a reaction to both, then you can try either Nature2 with non-chlorine shock (MPS) or use Baqua/biguanide/PHMB. The worst case would be that anything strong enough to sanitize the spa by killing bacteria might also cause you problems, possibly by killing some of the beneficial bacteria that is a part of all of us.

It is Chlorine. Is bromine any less irritating? I think you may be right about the beneficial bacteria being killed it. Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I showed my husband my post and he was pleasd I was searching for a soluton. I hope he will go for anyway.

As for whether bromine will be less irritating, it really depends on why you are getting the reactions in the first place. It's really hard to know in advance and is something you will probably have to try, but again should do so in properly balanced water. Some people find the smell from bromine more offensive than chlorine, but this is a personal thing.

So your options are

1) chlorine (I'd try this after a week of Dichlor has been used)

2) bromine (usually using a floating feeder and a bromide bank that you shock weekly)

3) Nature2 with non-chlorine shock (MPS)

4) Baqua/biguanide/PHMB

There is also the possibility that the hot water itself is a problem. You might consider using a lower spa temperature, though that might not be something your husband wants to do.

Here is another product called Aquagarde that seems to be the same thing as Silk Balance.

I don't trust any product that is so intentionally evasive about what their product really is or how it works other than to say that it's the most magical, wonderful, do-it-all product ever developed.

This reference says that Aquagarde is silver.

Aquagarde user manual

AquaGarde® contains natural ingredients with bacteria destroying qualities. Silver, amongst others, is a key ingredient.

This reference says this:

The AquaGarde® formula contains only a very small amount of chlorine therefore it does not smell like chlorine.

The product seems to contain a surfactant, clarifier, stain and scale inhibitor, silver, chlorine and possibly an enzyme.

Perhaps the surfactant is a type quaternary ammonium compound, like the "quat" algaecide or Benzalkonium chloride (Bactine).

• 3 months later...
Maybe Silk Balance might work? All you wold need it that, plus whatever sanitizer you opt for. I haven't used it, but others on here have and seem to like it.

I totally disagree, as far as I am aware Silk Balance is the same rubbish as aquagarde sold in europe, I looked into it after having tried it myself (not a great experience, I can assure you) only to find that it was so heavy in metal content that it had actually been banned in most of europe! Apparently aquagarde is now bankrupt, not sure if silk balance is too? Good riddens to bad rubbish I say...

Here is another product called Aquagarde that seems to be the same thing as Silk Balance.

I don't trust any product that is so intentionally evasive about what their product really is or how it works other than to say that it's the most magical, wonderful, do-it-all product ever developed.

This reference says that Aquagarde is silver.

Aquagarde user manual

AquaGarde® contains natural ingredients with bacteria destroying qualities. Silver, amongst others, is a key ingredient.

This reference says this:

The AquaGarde® formula contains only a very small amount of chlorine therefore it does not smell like chlorine.

The product seems to contain a surfactant, clarifier, stain and scale inhibitor, silver, chlorine and possibly an enzyme.

Perhaps the surfactant is a type quaternary ammonium compound, like the "quat" algaecide or Benzalkonium chloride (Bactine).

• 3 years later...

My skin is very sensitive. We have a SWCG (salt water) spa and the salt actually helps heal your skin and yes even at the lower levels. Unlike chlorine which is produced, the salt soothes the skin. Possibly get a salt water spa.

A sat water system IS a chlorine system. The chlorine is produced by electrolysis of the salt in the salt cell. You have a chlorine spa, period!

Also, you are posting in a thread that has not seen any activity in 3 years!

yes it is chlorine but it is also salt water and uses less chlorine then traditional. The salt is very beneficial to the skin. I have rashes, dry cracked skin and psoriasis but the hot tub and the pool both use salt systems and my skin fells better now. Previously I had a home that used chlorine in the pool and bromine in the spa and my skin was dryer and had more problems using them.

Sorry it was 3 years old but it showed up in my look for my own new post. Not sure why but it was there and I tried to help. Sorry, hopefully someone else can be helped.