Which Spas Have The Most Realiable Components?

Crusher

The first Spa I purchased in 1996 was a used Cal Spa (model unknown) for $750(divorce sale) and it worked fairly well, I recall maybe a couple of service calls. It was sold in 2006 due to the wood frame rotting. My wife purchased a Costco "bang for your buck" Infinity spa, while I was deployed overseas. We have had several service calls with the Infinity Spa, with the last straw being cracks on the shell. It will be return to Costco and now I am researching our next Spa purchase....what a pain in the butt!!! Now don't get me wrong, I love to research and make a smart value purchase for any of our big ticket purchases, but nothing is as difficult as this (HD TV was tricky, but a lot more fun).

Things I have learned:

1) Almost impossible to find a Spa for less than $5k with good quality, performance, and dealer/manufacturer warranty service (prefer not to go the Costco route).

2) If we spend $6k (max limit), we may be able purchase from local a dealer floor/clearance models, however, normally its the lower product line lacking features we prefer to have.

3) One thing that stands out....industry components and insulation techniques varies as related to quality, performance, and warranty.

So this is the question....which spas have the most realiable components and insulation based on quality, performance and best warranty service at our budget?

Thanks in advance for responses!

You should have no problem finding a spa at that price. going with a entry level spa from any quality manufacture, look for factory blems with warranties, clearance or over stocked deals.

Well, here is a list of local dealers that might be able to meet the budget of $6K with their floor models with similar features/sizes:

Baja Spas

Cal Spas

The following dealers floor models would cost another grand i.e. $7K for the floor models features/sizes:

LA Spas

Maxx/Coleman Spas

D1

Jacuzzi

So knowing this, how do each group compare with their components?

I realize the benefits of buying new. I'm a big fan of warranties n' such. But... there is a really good used spa market out there right now (see craigslist) and I bet you can find a slightly used, very nice, screaming deal of a Hot Spring Spa for $5K or less. Just see it running, hot and not leaking then you should be fine.

Cal Spa service from the manufacturer has gotten pretty bad. They moved to Canada or something and trying to get parts turned into a nightmare. If the part is in stock it's great! Otherwise you have a 50/50 chance of ever seeing your order. I had a guy that bought a new cover from us cos his dog ate his. He had a 1 year old Cal Spa (a 2006). The cabinet was a thin synthetic with no support behind it, and the 2nd pump quit working while I was there... something else fell apart too, but I can't remember what - maybe in the filter compartment. Oh, and the cheap-o plastic cover on the lighted water feature wouldn't stay on.

LA Spas disappeared from around here a while ago. I've seen two old ones (10-12 years maybe), they were disposals going to the dump. The controls were rusted out and completely shot. It reminded me of the older Cal Spas :)

Coleman is good. We get quite a few those used, fix them up and resell them. They're heavy but very solid spas. Nothing bad to say about Maax. Unfortunately, Coleman has lost their mind and is giving another manufacturer the rights to use their name.

I have a love hate relationship with D1. Some of the things that go wrong with their spas is sooooooo weird and off the wall it's hard to figure out and fix (8 to 12 year old spas). Their new spas over the last 4 or 5 years look like an alien landed and left something behind.

Sundance has scratch and ding specials that are worth checking out - I don't know how far away a dealer is though.

I still think a slightly used Hot Spring is the way to go right now.

Good luck and have fun with your spa shopping! :)

You got ten years out of your last used spa with minimal service, why not try it again?

Apparently, Cal Spas recently have a bad reputation concerning their GE pumps/motors and poor warranty service with their dealers.

I'm not suggesting that you look for a used Cal Spa. I would focus on Jacuzzi, D1, Marquis, Hot Springs, and Sundance.

I realize the benefits of buying new. I'm a big fan of warranties n' such. But... there is a really good used spa market out there right now (see craigslist) and I bet you can find a slightly used, very nice, screaming deal of a Hot Spring Spa for $5K or less. Just see it running, hot and not leaking then you should be fine.

Cal Spa service from the manufacturer has gotten pretty bad. They moved to Canada or something and trying to get parts turned into a nightmare. If the part is in stock it's great! Otherwise you have a 50/50 chance of ever seeing your order. I had a guy that bought a new cover from us cos his dog ate his. He had a 1 year old Cal Spa (a 2006). The cabinet was a thin synthetic with no support behind it, and the 2nd pump quit working while I was there... something else fell apart too, but I can't remember what - maybe in the filter compartment. Oh, and the cheap-o plastic cover on the lighted water feature wouldn't stay on.

LA Spas disappeared from around here a while ago. I've seen two old ones (10-12 years maybe), they were disposals going to the dump. The controls were rusted out and completely shot. It reminded me of the older Cal Spas :)

Coleman is good. We get quite a few those used, fix them up and resell them. They're heavy but very solid spas. Nothing bad to say about Maax. Unfortunately, Coleman has lost their mind and is giving another manufacturer the rights to use their name.

I have a love hate relationship with D1. Some of the things that go wrong with their spas is sooooooo weird and off the wall it's hard to figure out and fix (8 to 12 year old spas). Their new spas over the last 4 or 5 years look like an alien landed and left something behind.

Sundance has scratch and ding specials that are worth checking out - I don't know how far away a dealer is though.

I still think a slightly used Hot Spring is the way to go right now.

Good luck and have fun with your spa shopping! :)

Thanks for all the info. Have you or anyone had experiences with Baja Spas?

Well, here is a list of local dealers that might be able to meet the budget of $6K with their floor models with similar features/sizes:

Baja Spas

Cal Spas

The following dealers floor models would cost another grand i.e. $7K for the floor models features/sizes:

LA Spas

Maxx/Coleman Spas

D1

Jacuzzi

So knowing this, how do each group compare with their components?

This is something that you want to last 10+ years and be energy efficient so based on the list I see (without adding to it) I'd spend the extra on the Jacuzzi or D1.

I would look at the Marquis Everyday line if you have a dealer in your area. These spas use high quality components, are built well, and you get a lot of bang for your buck:

http://www.marquisspas.com/spa_everyday_hot_tubs.asp

Thanks for the recommendation, however, no local Marquis dealers.

I would look at the higher tier spa even thought it will cost a little more it will last you in the long rung, D1, Jacuzzi, SUndance,Hot Springs...

A note from an above response, Cal is still in Southern California, they are the one who just bought the rights to the Coleman name. we sold Cal for a couple of years, getting warranty support from them is terrible, now the magic having Coleman is going to be what?????they cannot take care of the Cal stuff how can they take care of Coleman,,, also they have gon direct sales , competing against there on dealers....huh....