Grit-getter Spa Vacuum - Review... 'n Stuff

MikeVB

I'm writing to say that I just picked up a Grit-Gitter spa vacuum ("GG"). It was exactly what I was looking for: small, simple, easy to use, no batteries, no hose hookup, no disposables to buy over and again and at only $22 from Spa Depot*, cheaper than dirt -- or should I say "grit"? Anyway, I just got it today and just tried it in my spa. It worked perfectly with little clicking noises when you squeezed the plasti-rubber "bulb" (at least I don't THINK it was my bad knee). I swear I'm even just a little perturbed that there's no more grit to get out of my spa. I read one of their advertisements somewhere that said it was actually "fun" to use, and maybe you could get your guests or kids to use it. I gotta admit at least about that former part - the fun -- THEY WEREN'T KIDDING! Pushing it around the spa, hearing the clicking noises, WATCHING the debris magically disappear -- OMG it's ALL good! They actually ought to make some reverse-element one for my cats' litter boxes ifyouknowwhatimean....

As an added bonus (and I hate to report this after that last sentence), but it's shaped like a little 12-oz bottle and easy to clean by twisting it in the middle. Voilà! Two halves (or pretty darn near). If you DON'T have any grit in your spa I'd bet you dollars to donuts that it would make a TRES-handy Jack and coke holder or even martini mixer (there IS that little filter in their.....crushed ice!!). In this economy one has to be resourceful. BTW, for some inexplicable reason they sell it both in a regular vacuum only version and a "stretch" version (i.e., optional long handle version) for a few ducats more. But honestly, why STAND and use the extension when you can SIT using it AND save some money?!? You're probably nekkid or semi-so outside the tub anyway, am I right?! So sorry GG folks; unclear on the concept.

In any event, this goes beyond a simple review or PSA. My name is Mike and I have a confession to make: I visited their website initially to merely get operating/cleaning info but stayed just to see all 6 or 7 instructional videos Wanda** -- the girl in the blue bikini. I'm was REAL close to making some comment about how she could "squeeze my bulb" anytime, but I'd like to think I'm above that so I won't.

OK, thank you everybody. That was cathartic. ;) But seriously, a very satisfactory product which I recommend.

* Ordered 10/13, Received 10/16

**I call her Wanda because she wields her GG like a magic wand.

grit-gitter.gif

P.S. Here's the main website including Wanda -- http://www.gritgitter.com/ -- but be careful, there's no Boss/Wife quick-hide button, so Danger Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson!

I also liked mine for the first month or so. It them started to fall apart & "mis-fire" with almost every use. I have found that an 4 dollar OXO Turkey Baster not only works better, but lasts longer too. I did make the mistake of buying a black one the first time, but the white ones age better and never mark.

On a final note with the Grit-Gitter, I ended up glueing in the mesh filter which helped for the longest. My bulb started fitting very loose. All the parts started to fade & dry crack pretty quickly too. I have a thread about it somewhere around.

Glad to hear you are having better luck!

I also liked mine for the first month or so. It them started to fall apart & "mis-fire" with almost every use. I have found that an 4 dollar OXO Turkey Baster not only works better, but lasts longer too. I did make the mistake of buying a black one the first time, but the white ones age better and never mark.

On a final note with the Grit-Gitter, I ended up glueing in the mesh filter which helped for the longest. My bulb started fitting very loose. All the parts started to fade & dry crack pretty quickly too. I have a thread about it somewhere around.

Glad to hear you are having better luck!

I have one, it's junk....the turkey baster sounds like a much better idea.

Well, mine works great. Of course I DID pay extra close attention to those instructional videos. Otherwise, you gave me an interesting idea what with Thanksgiving coming up; I wonder how it would be in getting giblet grit out of the bottom of my turkey pan....?

Happy and thorough cleaning no matter your choice. For me I'm sticking with my Grit Gitter ("GG") -- which I now call "Gigi" like a French spa maid! :P

Well, mine works great. Of course I DID pay extra close attention to those instructional videos. Otherwise, you gave me an interesting idea what with Thanksgiving coming up; I wonder how it would be in getting giblet grit out of the bottom of my turkey pan....?

Happy and thorough cleaning no matter your choice. For me I'm sticking with my Grit Gitter ("GG") -- which I now call "Gigi" like a French spa maid! :P

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but are you okay?

You didn't take too many oxycontin or something did you?

I use a Spa Vac. There's really nothing to wear out, and you can use it outside of the tub.

That would be my second choice. I considered it before getting GiGi but I read too many reports on Amazon and Epinions about the inordinate amount of arm/pumping effort it required proportionate to the results. What is your assessment of those mechanics?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but are you okay?

You didn't take too many oxycontin or something did you?

LOL! :lol: Well, to be frank (I know, my name is actually Mike), I've recently had two devastating life-changing events happen to me, but otherwise yes I think I am OK; thanks for asking. If I'm still using happiness as my sole drug then maybe that's something worth holding onto dearly right now. So I'm glad you appreciate my enthusiasm; just don't forget to appreciate everything and everybody you care about, OK? Wow, maybe I should re-title this post "Gittin' Grit."

Or you could buy a footbath, which is about the same size as a washing up bowl. Before going in just step in it and it washes of any grit, therefore no need to clean the spa footwell.

I appreciate that; but I figure that's what shower shoes/rubber footwear thongs are for and the footbath would then be an extra thing I'd have to clean and maintain. Irrespective even of that, if you or less controllable guests happen to get grit in the hot tub you're back to square one anyway. I actually got the Grit Gitter to remove a couple of ounces of grit that was in the tub when I bought it (used) two months ago. Now that I've eradicated that I don't presume that there will be some way that more grit is introduced into my (outdoor) tub no matter how careful one is. I just didn't want to get a cleaner any more complicated than the hand-held Grit Getter or Spa Vac. I'm not even obsessive about grit, I just want to have it largely free of grit.