Advice On Buying 2006 Sundance Altamar

pulp

Hi, I posted a couple weeks back and you guys were a lot of help; thank you. I was hoping you could help me again. I found a 2006 Sundance Altamar for sale asking $3,200, they say it has only been used 6 times which actually sounds like a bad thing to me. I started to research this hot tub and have found a few posts about problems with Sundance Spas leaking and being extremely hard and expensive to fix when they do. I was thinking this might be Sundances competitors trying to make them look bad, or the negative reviews might be more prevalent because people complain louder than they praise. Most these complaints are on epinions.com here is a specific link the post even has pictures http://www.epinions.com/review/Sundance_Ca...-3A2667D7-prod3.

I wanted to ask the experts. Is this really so common I need to be concerned about it? I noticed some of the post are older have they improved the process to prevent leaks since then? If its not leaking when I inspect it, what are the chances it will start leaking within the next couple of years? Does anyone have a good guide, or checklist on what problems to look for when inspecting a used spa? Also is $3,200 a good buy for this spa? As I don't have a lot of money I was going to offer $2,500 and hope for the best :)

Hi, I posted a couple weeks back and you guys were a lot of help; thank you. I was hoping you could help me again. I found a 2006 Sundance Altamar for sale asking $3,200, they say it has only been used 6 times which actually sounds like a bad thing to me. I started to research this hot tub and have found a few posts about problems with Sundance Spas leaking and being extremely hard and expensive to fix when they do. I was thinking this might be Sundances competitors trying to make them look bad, or the negative reviews might be more prevalent because people complain louder than they praise. Most these complaints are on epinions.com here is a specific link the post even has pictures http://www.epinions.com/review/Sundance_Ca...-3A2667D7-prod3.

I wanted to ask the experts. Is this really so common I need to be concerned about it? I noticed some of the post are older have they improved the process to prevent leaks since then? If its not leaking when I inspect it, what are the chances it will start leaking within the next couple of years? Does anyone have a good guide, or checklist on what problems to look for when inspecting a used spa? Also is $3,200 a good buy for this spa? As I don't have a lot of money I was going to offer $2,500 and hope for the best :)

I would offer them $2K. It's still a 3+ year old used tub. I bought a used Jacuzzi for $1800 when the buyer wanted $2900.

There is nothing about that manufacturer, who also makes Jacuzzi tubs, that predispose them to leaking. IMO leaks are mostly due to owner abuse, i.e. exposure to freezing conditions, chemical imbalance, etc. I would ask a lot of questions, and insist on wet testing it. Check the heater's ability to heat to 104 degrees (the maximum). Download the owner's manual and go through the topside controls and check every function. Check every jet, especially the moving jets, for function. Take off the front panel and check the inside for water, noisy pumps, etc. Others here with more experience may have more ideas.

Good luck.

The leak issues you hear about refer to somewhere in the mid 1990s when the state of CA regs forced a change in the glue. There were a series of spas built with severe leak problems. Most spas were replaced. This is a very old problem and nothing to be concerned about with a 2006 model. The Altamar is a great spa and is one of the top of the line Sundance spas. $2500 is certainly worth a shot.

No tub can be guaranteed to be leak free, and full foam insulation is more difficult to fix than a perimeter insulated model. But for that money, it could be killer deal. Just check it out carefully first... I wonder why they're selling? If something looks too good to be true... you know the rest. Be a skeptic.

If it was only used a few times, find out if it sat with no water in it with the cover off, or froze. Make ANY offer contingent on your inspections both running and AFTER the water is drained. You want to check the shell very carefully for blisters or other indication of shell delaminations. Don't fall in love until it passes all your inspections.

Call the local dealer, have them look up the current owners and see what work has been done on this tub so you know what your getting into. The service department should have everything on file.

Happy Soaking,

hottublady

Thanks for the help. I finally got a hold of the seller, the hot tub is at his vacation home - it actually came with the home he's the second owner- which is why he uses it so rarely; but he says he keeps it full of water year round. I have an appointment to look at it Monday morning. If anyone has any last minute advice on price or inspection it would be appreciated. I'll keep you updated. Wish me luck!