Concerned About New Unfilled Tub Sitting Out In Freezing Weather

markbutler

I am having a brand new 2009 Sundance Optima delivered tomorrow morning but I don't believe I'll be able to get an electrician out until the next day at the earliest. The projected temps overnight will be in the upper 20's. Should I be concerned about having the tub sit out without being full of water?

According to the dealer, they do a fill test before delivery to check for leaks and I'm sure they don't get every last drop of water out of the pipes.

I just don't want my brand new tub to break before I ever get a chance to sit in it once. :)

Is there anything I should do once it has power and I've started to fill it? Should I put a few gallons of warm water in first to help melt any ice?

Thanks.

Suck any remaining water out with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner through the jets. Though if they tipped you spa on its side while delivering it, any water left probably spilled out then.

Dave

Ask your dealer what he would advise. I have to believe that he's delivered tubs in freezing weather before, and should know enough to blow all the lines clean before he ships it to you. If he doesn't, then I would have to wonder what kind of dealer you are buying from.

Ask your dealer what he would advise. I have to believe that he's delivered tubs in freezing weather before, and should know enough to blow all the lines clean before he ships it to you. If he doesn't, then I would have to wonder what kind of dealer you are buying from.

I called them too yesterday and they did say they blow out the lines but I always worry that they are just saying things to make me feel better. At least if it does have a problem I can point back to them and say you guys said it would be fine!

Thanks for the advice everybody. It should arrive in the next hour or two.

I called them too yesterday and they did say they blow out the lines but I always worry that they are just saying things to make me feel better. At least if it does have a problem I can point back to them and say you guys said it would be fine!

Temperatures in the upper 20's will not provide a hard freeze that is required for breaking pipes. You'd need sustained temps below 20 degrees or an overnight temp below 10 to 12 degrees to be dangerous. If you are nervous, go to Home Depot and buy an inexpensive 1500 watt fan heater.

John

Temperatures in the upper 20's will not provide a hard freeze that is required for breaking pipes. You'd need sustained temps below 20 degrees or an overnight temp below 10 to 12 degrees to be dangerous. If you are nervous, go to Home Depot and buy an inexpensive 1500 watt fan heater.

John

+1 on that...living in Minnesota and being used to sudden freezes this time of year...I wouldnt worry about it at all.

My entire crop of onions that was on the patio (btw...very sensitive to freezing during the initial curing) during our 3 day cold snap where it got to about 18-20 F overnight and didnt get over 35 during the day...and they all survived.

Your tub with the cover on is not gonna freeze in temps like that....if it does the water is just gonna be slush, and not hard....seriously....don't worry.