Eco One that good?

Guest Pete Beinetti

Guest Pete Beinetti

I am also having the dreaded rash with Nature2 and MPS. Is ECO One the way to go? Is it that good? Don't you also have to use sanitizer with it? I do have an ozonator.

Pete

Eco One is a great product that lives up to the hype. I don't know if everybody has the same results as me, but it sure seems like they do. I have yet to find any negative info and these boards are usually a place for unhappy people to vent.

If i had a pool and spa store i would set every customer up on this product. It makes owning a pool and spa easy and the water looks and feels great. The chemical kits stores push are so confusing and hard for a new owner to use. Eco One makes it painless to maintain your water.

You still need to use a sanitizer with Eco One, but the amount you add is a lot less since the organics in the water are being handled by non toxic ingredients.

I use the copper based Rainforest Blue sanitizer with Eco One which is added weekly or biweekly depending on use and i shock the water every other week. This form of copper should not be confused with copper found naturaly in well water. Too much copper in your well water will oxidize when you add chlorine and turn your water green. Rainforest Blue has non toxic ingredients that keep the copper suspended in the water and protects it from oxidation. This form a santization is non irritating to the skin too, which would solve your skin irritations.

You ever look into a wishing well that has pennies in it? That water is always clean and algae free because of the copper ions the pennies are giving off. One of the oldest water treatment methods in the book.

Heres some good info.

Rain Forest Blue: EPA Registered Pool & Hot Tub Bactericide / Algaecide.

EPA REG. #70845-1-75033

EPA EST. #70845-FL-001

Safe, Odorless, Nontoxic, Non-Irritating & Non-Allergenic.

Rain Forest Blue is an EPA Registered Formula that helps keep pools, hot tubs, & ponds free of algae without using harsh chemicals. One gallon treats an average pool up to 2 - 3 months adding just ounces per week.

Rain Forest Blue Kills bacteria and algae such as pseudomonas, e-coli, salmonella, cholera, and other forms of coliform bacteria as well as yellow, green, brown, and black algae.

While Rain Forest Blue is busy killing bacteria and algae, it is harmless to people and your pets.

Rain Forest Blue will help soften your water, with no chemical odors or Irritation.

Rain Forest Blue helps remove hard water minerals such as calcium resulting in softer cleaner water.

Study Results:

Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O EPA Registered Non-Chlorine, Non-Bromine Pool and Spa Bacteriacide and Algaecide.

Report: University of Maryland Biotechnology

Test results show that Rainforest Blue/ ENVIRON 4H2O will kill bacteria and algae. Studies performed at the University of Maryland show the effects of Rainforest Blue/ ENVIRON 4H2O on the cholera bacteria strains Vibrio cholerae 01 and 0139 in aqueous systems.

The University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Center of Marine Biotechnology

"Effects of Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O, a Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate Solution, on the Ultra structure and Survival of Vibrio cholerae01 and 0139, 1994."

"Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O is a copper sulfate pentahydrate which is bound to a non-toxic carrier to keep the copper in solution. The effects of Rainforest Blue/ ENVIRON 4H2O on culturability of Vibrio cholerae 01 and 0139 were determined. The electron micrographs of the Vibrio cells before and after exposure demonstrated that Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O flocculated the bacterial cells. By conducting scanning electron microscopy, defect in the bacterial cell wall was observed."

"Copper is required for growth of bacteria at low concentrations but will cause a number of toxic cellular effects when intracellular levels reach certain limits (Cooksey, 1993). Copper is a component of certain proteins, notably those involved with respiration (Lontie, 1984). Copper becomes toxic within the cell due to its ability to catalyze adverse chemical side effects such as generation of free radicals (Simpson et. al., 1988).

These active compounds can damage intracellular proteins, lipids, and DNA. In addition, copper can directly bind to proteins, linking to sulhydryl groups on the protein molecules, and inhibit normal enzymatic metabolic functions. While copper is an essential element, it also can cause significant stress for the organism, causing injury and/or bactericidal activity (MacLeod, et. al., 1967; Domek, et. al., 1984)."

"Cupric sulfate is a widely used inorganic salt, long known to be an effective bactericide and algaecide and has been used as a feed additive and therapeutic agent for agricultural applications (Foye, 1977). Under normal environmental conditions, copper ions are bound and immobilized by many different organic and inorganic compounds making copper unavailable to inhibit microbial growth (Tubbing, et. al., 1994)."

"Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O is a suspension of copper sulfate complied to a carrier molecule that itself has several distinctive properties which aid in the bacteriacidal process. The proprietary carrier molecule is a more effective delivery system for copper sulfate and enhances its ability to control bacterial and algal growth by enhancing its stability in aqueous systems."

“Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O is a product designed to control pathogenic microorganisms in water."

"If the water to be treated is drinking water or natural water that is low in organic matter, pH neutral with a low buffer capacity, the amount of Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O employed can be minimal with a longer exposure time. If the water to be treated is polluted water, the amount used and exposure time should be large and long enough to destroy pathogenic organisms. This will depend on the degree of how polluted the water, probability of contamination with pathogenic bacteria, purpose for which the water will be used after treatment."

"For drinking water or natural water, 1.0 PPM of Rainforest Blue/ENVIRON 4H2O and one hour exposure is sufficient to kill Vibrio cholerae 01 and 0139."

"For polluted water where high concentration of contamination is present and large numbers of bacteria are present, the recommended dose of ENVIRON 4H2O for Vibrio cholerae 01 and 0139 is 25-30 PPM for two hours or 1.0 PPM for more than 24 hours."

END OF REPORT

ENVIRON 4H2O is sold under the name "Rainforest Blue"

REFERENCES:

Cooksey, D. A. (1993). Copper uptake and resistance in bacteria. Mol. Microbiol. 7(1): 1-5

Domek, M.J., LeChavallier, M. W., Cameron, S.C., and McFeters, G. A. (1984). Evidence for the role of copper in the injury process of coliform bacteria in drinking water. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 48: 289-293.

Foye, W.O. (1977). Anti-microbial activities of mineral elements. In: Microorganisms and Minerals (Weinberg, E.D., Ed.) pp. 387-419. Marcel Dekker. New York, NY.

Lontie, R. (1984). Copper Proteins and Copper Enzymes. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.

MacLeod, R.A., Kuo, S.C., and Gelinas, R. (1967) Metabolic injury to bacteria. Metabolic injury induced by distilled water or Cu2+ in the plating diluent. J. Bacteriol 93: 961-969.

Simpson, J.A., Cheeseman, K.H., Smith, S.E. and Dean, R.T. (1988). Free radical generation by copper ions and hydrogen peroxide. Biochem. J. 254: 519-523.

Tubbing. D.M.J., Admiroal, W., and Cleven, Rob F.M.J. (1994). The contribution of complexed copper to the metabolic inhibition of algae and bacteria in synthetic media and river water. Water Research. 28(1): 37-44

Chemist’s Statement:

2) Remains in Water: Unlike most chlorine and bromine compounds, the product stays in solution and does not gas off no matter what the concentration may be. It is recommended that .6 to 1 PPM of the product be maintained at all times for efficient and effective elimination of bacterial and algae problems.

4) ph: Product pH in the container is approximately 1.8-2.0. While this may seem low to many, in use levels there will be no reduction in pH in your pool or hot tub, and you will notice absolutely no skin or eye irritation. The product is odorless.

6) As with all products, and I mean all, bacterial strains can become immune to any type of biocide. For this reason, I recommend applying a shock treatment to any pool, hot tub or spa, from time to time in order to prevent bacterial immunity, but a constant residual of chlorine or bromine is not needed in order for the product to work effectively. - Ft. Myers, FL

Rainforest Blue Care Guide

Bacteriacide/Algaecide & Conditioner

What is Rainforest Blue, and how does it work?

Rainforest Blue is an EPA Registered bacteriacide/algaecide. Rainforest Blue is safe, effective, kills bacteria, & algae by disrupting the cell structure and chemical makeup of these organisms.

Rainforest Blue is applied directly into your water. The amount of copper that Rainforest Blue introduces (0.6-1.0 PPM)

Do I need to use other chemicals?

Rainforest Blue is a primary bacteriacide/algaecide except for an occasional shock it is the only pool or hot tub bacteriacide/algaecide you will need. No other chemicals are needed to control algae.

Guest Suncrest

I can't agree with Alan more! I have been using Rainforest Blue for over 5 years now in my pool and spa and couldn't be happier! It is very simple to use and very economical. I could go on and on like Alan but you can find more information on it if you want.

I am currently using Nature2 in my Pool and Hot Tub. I just recently drained and cleaned my tub (about 2 weeks ago)...when switching to ECO One and Rainforest Blue,,do I need to drain the tub or can I begin treating the water now?

Guest Suncrest

You can start treating the water without draining it. There are directions on how to switch over at spafriendly.com. When I switched over from Baqua Spa I just had to run my filters longer to get all the chemical build up out. You don't have as much of the build up problem with Nature 2.

Guest Suncrest

The Eco One Pool Conditioner from spafriendly.com is an excellent addition to Rainforest Blue. Your pool is aprox. the same size as mine so you would use 16 ounces once a month.

They have a testimonial on their web site from a commercial pool company that tested both products and tracked their results. Very interesting!

That funny Eco- one has not been out their for 5 years, Is the repaly a

Eco-one employee! sound like a lot of imfo for just someone replying. it may be good. but time will tell. Rain forest maybe EPA but Eco-one is not. but that does not mean the eco-one is not good need to know more.

Just to restate what has been already said. Products such as Eco One, Rainforest Blue, N2, etc are bacteriacides and not sanitizers. They may keep your water sparkling clear by themselves, but not sanitized. You need a residual sanitizer for a truely safe spa. The only sanitizers are chlorine, bromine and peroxide.