Arctic Spa Onzen Question

gepert

Hi everybody. This is my first post here.

We have just retired (lucky us) and are about to buy our first hot tub. After a ton of research it has been narrowed down to either a Maax M6 (collection series) or an Arctic Cub Ultra with the Forever Floor, Aqua Tremor and possibly the Onzen.

We are very interested in the Onzen system but I have found some negatives about it on the internet. It seems to be a touchy system to maintain properly and there were some initial issues with the electrodes that may have been resolved by now? I am wondering what comments you folks with Arctics might have in this regard?

We are on one of the Gulf Islands near Comox on Vancouver Island BC. Any comments from anybody on the the two dealers out here (Campbell River and Nanaimo).

We have just retired (lucky us) and are about to buy our first hot tub. After a ton of research it has been narrowed down to either a Maax M6 (collection series) or an Arctic Cub Ultra with the Forever Floor, Aqua Tremor and possibly the Onzen.

We are very interested in the Onzen system but I have found some negatives about it on the internet. It seems to be a touchy system to maintain properly and there were some initial issues with the electrodes that may have been resolved by now? I am wondering what comments you folks with Arctics might have in this regard?

We are on one of the Gulf Islands near Comox on Vancouver Island BC. Any comments from anybody on the the two dealers out here (Campbell River and Nanaimo).

I am getting a glacier. Suppose to be here last week but whatever. Anyway dealing with the Nanaimo guys has been touch and go. They liked my $$$, now lets see what the can deliver with product and service. I went with the Onzen system and intend holding the company to its claims with what Onzen says it delivers. There is a lot of opinion on here about Onzen and Arctic. As we are in the same area and dealing with the same outfits, I can keep you posted on the dynamics here on the Island. Now GET ME MY TUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cory.........

I am getting a glacier. Suppose to be here last week but whatever. Anyway dealing with the Nanaimo guys has been touch and go. They liked my $$$, now lets see what the can deliver with product and service. I went with the Onzen system and intend holding the company to its claims with what Onzen says it delivers. There is a lot of opinion on here about Onzen and Arctic. As we are in the same area and dealing with the same outfits, I can keep you posted on the dynamics here on the Island. Now GET ME MY TUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cory.........

Hey Cory,

I am up on Hornby. I think I am going to buy from the Campbell River Dealer. Please email me directly <geppert123@gmail.com> or PM me and we can talk about it privately.

I am getting a glacier. Suppose to be here last week

Hi, Cory

I apologize for the delay in receiving your spa. PM me with your name and S/N and I'll hunt up your spa to see where it is in our system.

Best wishes

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gepert - I have some feedback.

I previously owned an Arctic with Peak Ozone but I now have the new (2008) Summit with Onzen.

:)

Both systems are great. It is true the Onzen is finicky but I'm starting to get used to it. Part of my problem at first was "too much salt". I like the system, but I need to add more chemicals than I expected to keep the PH and alkalinity under control. I'm still not sure which system I would order if I was to buy another. Onzen needs better user documentation and the low level programming to control it is a pain.

The new tub design (seat layout etc) is much better than the last summit I had and the new Jet system is a leap forward. Not a single jet has fallen out (not that they should in the first place, but all brands of tub that I have used had that problem).

:angry:

Service is another story. I have been waiting 35 days and counting for a service call to fix the Onzen system which stopped producing sanitizer. I have called the folks in Nanaimo 3 times to get an update and apparently they are still waiting for parts from Arctic. Last time I called, they hung up on me when I suggested we follow up with Arctic. (The same fellow is listed as the Complaints Contact at BBB)

I have a certificate here that guarantees 24 hour service - do they still hand those out?

From my experience, over the years with Spas (various dealers / manufacturers), post-sales service has ranged from excellent to appalling. That part baffles me...

Sorry to see Tom leave - just when I need him. (long time listener, first time caller)

Hope to here from you James.

IMO I would go with the MAAX collection you get an over all better warranty and product. and instead of salt as a sanitizer ( that is corosive) your using UV light.

I'm wondering what the difference is in price between the Maax and the Arctic? We have been leaning toward the Arctic but after reading the problems many have been having, I'm worried!

The biggest difference between Maax and Artic is quality and experiance. Maax does not experament with untest parts and leave the customer to search the internet on how to fix the problem. there practice is to field test it first and if it works with little to no service factor, then put it into production. 2. Maax has been building spas for over 40 years and the quality and support to the dealers shows.

That is why you don't see a lot of Maax customers on here asking how to fix there spa.

The biggest difference between Maax and Artic is quality and experiance. Maax does not experament with untest parts and leave the customer to search the internet on how to fix the problem. there practice is to field test it first and if it works with little to no service factor, then put it into production. 2. Maax has been building spas for over 40 years and the quality and support to the dealers shows.

That is why you don't see a lot of Maax customers on here asking how to fix there spa.

With all due respect sir, your comment is full of conjecture and untruth. You have no idea the testing procedures we went through to develop any systems that go into our spas. Nor are you correct in saying we leave the customer to search for how to fix the problem themselves. We put much effort into supporting our customers, including watching these forums for customers that are having problems and sorting them out. Furthermore, I am very familiar with the inner workings of Maax and they have not been building spas for over 40 years. Why not stick to the truth and not bashing competitors?

Respectfully,

James

.Canadianrepairman, agree with James, Maxx has not been building spas for over 40 years.

As far as leaving the consumer to fend for themselves.......b---sh--, the Arctic dealer in my area

has always been there for me. Also I must note that I am not aware of any other brands of spas

who monitor this and other forums and are helping the end consumer at this level.

Keep up the good work James.

I will tell you one thing, I can't wait for the delivery of my Tub from Artic Spa's, I am getting the Artic Spa Summit Signature with Onzen, and it makes me feel good that someone like James is taking the time to help people out on this Forum,

Thanks Dano,

I'm excited for you. I think you are going to love that spa. I have a Frontier at home, and I use it all the time.

Take care,

James

We put much effort into supporting our customers, including watching these forums for customers that are having problems and sorting them out.

But wouldn't it be great if the DEALERS would deal with the issues? The consumer dishes out $15 to 20K. Sounds like they run to the bank to cash the check then ignore issues and/or defer them to the factory. It's gotta be VERY frustrating for Blue Falls Mfg. (Arctic Spas corporate) to have monitor this and other websites/forums. It could be a position in itself.

We put much effort into supporting our customers, including watching these forums for customers that are having problems and sorting them out.

But wouldn't it be great if the DEALERS would deal with the issues? The consumer dishes out $15 to 20K. Sounds like they run to the bank to cash the check then ignore issues and/or defer them to the factory. It's gotta be VERY frustrating for Blue Falls Mfg. (Arctic Spas corporate) to have monitor this and other websites/forums. It could be a position in itself.

And that is my point with artic spas. every day you see new post from artic customers that go online to resolve their spa problems, why? I've been doing this for 20 years and most people only phone me or go online after getting no responce from their dealer. and it seems disaporinate the amount of artic customers that 1. have problems and then come to one of these forums ( what happened to the dealer). and 2. the so called happy customers that then respond and call the customer anti-artic.

And that is my point with artic spas. every day you see new post from artic customers that go online to resolve their spa problems, why? I've been doing this for 20 years and most people only phone me or go online after getting no responce from their dealer. and it seems disaporinate the amount of artic customers that 1. have problems and then come to one of these forums ( what happened to the dealer). and 2. the so called happy customers that then respond and call the customer anti-artic.

I see where you are coming from. Most dealers do everything they can to service their customers. Sometimes they simply need a reminder. That is how I can help. I see every customer issue as important and not anti-arctic. As far as being disproportionate... I don't think it is. There are alot of Arctic Spas sold in Canada.

Anyway, we'll get them sorted. :-)

J