Hot Tub Operating Cost

Tranquility

I've noticed about $20/month more in the winter and no difference in the summer. I've actually used less electricity this summer with the hot tub than last year without it, but that is due to other KW saving measures, like switching to fluorescent lamps.

My spa is fully foamed, which says something about that construction method.

Dave

Would anyone be willing to share how much their electric bill increased on an average after they installed their hot tub? Would $50 to $100 be reasonable? Is there a major difference in summer verses winter?

Had my spa (Sundance Hawthorne) about 2 months. This is full foam insulation too. Based on the same months last year my electric bill has gone up approx $25, but that's with it being used at least one hour every day.

If you click on the following link I posted the actual consumption that my spa uses

My spa has 3 main pumps and one circulating pump and is 230V with a 32 amp supply. In the winter we are in our spa for about an hour and nearly always have the jets on, in the summer we usually spend a bit less time in the spa.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...c=10714&hl=

Some people are not too bothered with powerful jets and they can save money by getting a spa with less amperage. There are makes rated at just 13 amps at 230V.

Another point when looking at insulation remember its the density and not the thickness which is important.

It very much depends on the brand of spa you purchase and your spa use and weather conditions along with you cost per KW to what your spa is going to run in costs. The higher end spa companies have gone through energy testing which shows what the spas use in 60 degree weather, at 102 with no one using the spa, that may possibly give you a base estimate.

My tub (Clearwater Orlando) averages me about $35.00 a month, more in the winter, less in the summer. It has 4 jet pumps and a 24 hour circ. We use it everynight for at least 20 minutes, usually 40 though.

General rule of thumb, Quality line of tub will equal less energy consumption....

Would anyone be willing to share how much their electric bill increased on an average after they installed their hot tub? Would $50 to $100 be reasonable? Is there a major difference in summer verses winter?

Had my spa (Sundance Hawthorne) about 2 months. This is full foam insulation too. Based on the same months last year my electric bill has gone up approx $25, but that's with it being used at least one hour every day.

So evidently there are options for insulation, we will check.

It very much depends on the brand of spa you purchase and your spa use and weather conditions along with you cost per KW to what your spa is going to run in costs. The higher end spa companies have gone through energy testing which shows what the spas use in 60 degree weather, at 102 with no one using the spa, that may possibly give you a base estimate.

My tub (Clearwater Orlando) averages me about $35.00 a month, more in the winter, less in the summer. It has 4 jet pumps and a 24 hour circ. We use it everynight for at least 20 minutes, usually 40 though.

General rule of thumb, Quality line of tub will equal less energy consumption....

I was expecting a 30 to 50 dollar increase. We had read one article that said they had a $100 increase in the summer and

a $200 increase in the winter. That almost enough to scare a person away...., thanks for the response.

I was expecting a 30 to 50 dollar increase. We had read one article that said they had a $100 increase in the summer and

a $200 increase in the winter. That almost enough to scare a person away...., thanks for the response.

It REALLY depends on the manufacturer. All say their spas are energy efficeint but some are more about their story and the theory of how it works in a perfect world while the better ones are proven to work. Two people can live next to each other with the same sized spa from two different manufacturers and while one can average $35/month for the year the other could be $100+/month.

Hi,

I got my first ever tub this past April. The first full month having the tub my bill went up $20.00 - However I also started using the A/C a little. I am in the Dallas, Texas area.

Over the summer I really don't think my bill has gone up much at all due to the tub. I have a better electric rate (30% less per kwh) than last summer, no roommate and my bills this summer are actually less than 1/2 what they were last year. Using the A/C a lot more this year as well.

I ended up with a Marquis spa, the insulation appears to work great on this tub. It will be interesting to see what my bills are through the winter.

Dale

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Sundance Cameo (2009 model) for about 5 weeks and just got my first energy bill from Pacific Gas & Electric. I live in a mild climate on the California Coast where average temp right now is about 62 degrees. My electricity bill went up $150 dollars from last month. We do use the spa alot, almost every day, and have the temperature set to 103 degrees typically. We were low energy users before the spa and were paying less then $40/month for our energy costs, so you can say I was a little surprised to see this bill.

Does anyone think that the electrical hookups could be contributing to this? The spa was hooked up by a licensed electrical contractor who charged me $720 for parts and labor.

Interesting thing is that I had a cheap Costco spa for 3 months last year and got rid of it for this exact same reason. That spa was costing me about $150/month to maintain from an energy cost standpoint. We are much happier with the cameo for obvious reasons (comfort, features, etc.) but I would like to learn how to save in energy consumption. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. We love the spa just not that steep bill.

12 months prior to installing my 2008 HotSpring Sovereign II, I used 11,733 KWH. 12 months following installation, I used 13,937 KWH - an increase of 2,164 KWH. Based on the last 36 months, my electricity cost was $0.08/KWH.

So, the real-world data is...

I use my hot tub about 45-60 minutes 2 or 3 times per week - more during the winter, less during the summer. Considering this data, my hot tub has increased my electric bill an average of $14.10 per month here in Northeast Texas.

I agree with Roger. Each of the last two months I've used an extra 180 KWH of electric (2,160 KHW per year) c/w last year, but here in NY a KHW costs $0.14, which means $25 per month.

Cameoguy - I'm guessing the Sundance Cameo has similar insulation values to the Hawthorne, so I've absolutely no idea why you're seeing a $150 increase? For what it's worth I keep my tub at 98, then turn it up to 101 about 30 mins before using it, then back down to 98 when finished, I do use it every day. I run the automatic filter cycles 3 times a day for 30 mins each. The average temp here in NY is certainly less than 62.

One thing to consider is that alot of times when you add a spa it usually will put you in a higher kilowatt tier on the bill for the cost per K.W. Our spa uses about 300 kilowatts on average multiply that by .08 cents equals $24.00 dollars but wait! the 300 kilowatts puts me in the upper price structure as I then use more then the baseline so I am at .10 cents a kilowatt for a average $30.00 a month for my Costco platinum II spa that is just shy of four years old! I did add reflective foil bubble wrap and sealed with foil tape and that helped bring the bill down after the first year where I averaged $30 in summer to $50 in winter.

Hmm... well I have a 2001 Hot Springs Jetsetter, and I had it drained for a few months in the summer-it was too hot to use a hot tub- and just fired it back up a little over a month back..I didn't see a change in my bill... if I had to guesstamate I would say my tub runs me around 9-12 a month.

Hmm... well I have a 2001 Hot Springs Jetsetter, and I had it drained for a few months in the summer-it was too hot to use a hot tub- and just fired it back up a little over a month back..I didn't see a change in my bill... if I had to guesstamate I would say my tub runs me around 9-12 a month.

I couldn't see any real difference in my bills, either. That's why I waited a year until I was able to compare two years of data side-by-side. Even then, there could be other factors such as a hotter summer, colder winter, or lifestyle changes that have occurred resulting in an increase with or without the hot tub. I mean, seriously, a $14 monthly electric bill increase is like a penny on the sidewalk compared to all my other expenses. Supplies cost me more than that! :)

I couldn't see any real difference in my bills, either. That's why I waited a year until I was able to compare two years of data side-by-side. Even then, there could be other factors such as a hotter summer, colder winter, or lifestyle changes that have occurred resulting in an increase with or without the hot tub. I mean, seriously, a $14 monthly electric bill increase is like a penny on the sidewalk compared to all my other expenses. Supplies cost me more than that! :)

Hi Zroger!

Well... I've had my tub now for 8 years so its hard for me to remember what the bill was before the hot tub lol! but during the summer my electric bill was around $76 for the whole house and my last bill was $87 and thats after I fired it up and had it running for over a month. I will see what it is in December when it gets real cold... but thats when I use the heat in my house so that will run up my bill... I dunno...