Chemistry control in the pool

Guest Bob

Can water in an in-ground pool "wear out" over time? My pool is about 25,000 gallons, and the water has not been completely replaced for at least 3 years. The pool was here when I moved in to the house, so I don't know its background. All was well, until last fall. I was unable to keep the chlorine up to the proper level. And despite significant amounts of product to raise alkalinity, I was unable to do so. Also, in the last year, I am seeing black spots in the fiberglass sides (lower section is concrete) which I assume is "cobalting." Can the chemistry imbalance be causing this also? I was able to maintain the Ph. Bob

You may want to check the Total disolved solids in the pool, have a local pool co do a complete test on your water including minerals and phosphates you probably have a high count of solids Good Luck

No more than the air in bicycle tires. It can however eventually accumulate enough Total Dissolved Solids that you might want to consider it. Always consult someone if you are going to drain/refill a pool. If things get so far out of wack that chemicals cost more than the water might be another reason to refill.

If you can't keep chlorine, most likely you are low on stabilizer/Cyanuric acid. Either that or algae is eating it up.

Hope that the spots aren't black algae from a lack of chlorine.

two choices: pay someone or learn enough pool chemistry to manage it yourself.

Hi there,

I'm new to this pool forum and pools. Howver, i have a Fiberglass Pool and i was told to contact United Chemicals. They sell products for Fiberglass Pools and/or all types of surfaces. I did notice a product for black spot(s) removal on their website. Give them a call and discuss. They were vey nice and helpful! Sorry, i don't have their number off hand. However, it's listed on their website. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Water don't really 'wear out'. It gets dirty, sanitized, evaporates, condensates, etc. Then of course when the pool skimmer hole is getting close to water level, you have to add water, which dilutes your chemicals.

Just be sure to test every day (or at least every 3 days), keep CL levels up/Ph in check, and run pump approx. 6-8 hrs. per 24 hr. period.

Bob, sounds like you have no CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) in your pool--why you can't maintain a CL residual.

CYA does dissipate over time, and gets diluted by rain or addition of water. Check CYA and add specified amount directly to skimmer or put in a sock or panty hose and hang somewhere away from liner. It is very slow dissolving, so wait a week before retesting.

• 5 months later...

Hello Group, Regarding Total Dissolved Solids (TDS): There is an effective way to coagulate this material by using an Ionizing Capsule. The properties emitted from these capsules (Ions) magnetically collect (coagulate) Dissolved Particles and consequently precipitate to the bottom of the pool. We've been using this product which effectively controls this as well as algae, bacteria and virus. I'm not suggesting to rush to your nearest store to purchase this but it certainly is worth a look. Their system is called, ChlorFree. If you have any questions regarding, please eMail me as this device has been in our pool for over 3-years now and we're quite satisfied with the results.

Since an ionizer is adding ions to the water it is contributing to the TDS of the water, not the reverse....No magic or mumbo jumbo, just basic chemistry! TDS is a measurement of the amouht of postive and negative ions in the water. ;)