Impeller Removal

ncaaref

I have 98 Sundnce optima and Pump number 2 needs a new impeller I have the pump out of the spa but unlike pool pumps, I can't get the rear cover off of the pum to hold the shaft to turn the impeller to loosen it. It it a Theramax II 2.5 HP pump. Does anyone know how to get the impeller off?

Thanks

can you see the shaft between the motor and the volute? I normally hold it from there with needle nose vicegrips and works fine. I also have use a long screwdriver to hold the fan and uscrew the impeller, but that is only if the fan is made out of metal, I don't want you perform this, if it's made out of plastic... good luck.

can you see the shaft between the motor and the volute? I normally hold it from there with needle nose vicegrips and works fine. I also have use a long screwdriver to hold the fan and uscrew the impeller, but that is only if the fan is made out of metal, I don't want you perform this, if it's made out of plastic... good luck.

As stated above works best. Since you are replacing the impeller it there is little room for the vice grips, you break the plastic throat with a screwdriver to gain better access the motor shaft.

If it really stuck. turn the pump sitting on the wet end and soak with liquid wrench for a while. If that still doesn't work you might have to drill the impeller off

Yes the impeller is made from plastic so it look like the second is my option. I really can't believe that the rear Cover can't be removed like a pool pump this makes it so easy.

Try popping the little cover off. It is located dead center at the rear of the pump. It will reveal a slotted shaft.

John

Yes the impeller is made from plastic so it look like the second is my option. I really can't believe that the rear Cover can't be removed like a pool pump this makes it so easy.

Try popping the little cover off. It is located dead center at the rear of the pump. It will reveal a slotted shaft.

John

Will Do!

John

Or a shaft with 2 flat sides for a wrench. Never ever hold the shaft with a vice grips or stick a screw driver in the fan blades or anything like that. Always go to the opposite end of the shaft and hold it there.

Al pumps are different , I mostly worki with Starite pumps which don't have access from the back since they have the speed switch system on the back, that is why I always do use visegrips, hey! whatever it works!... good luck

There is always access to the back of the shaft. It is more difficult to get to on some than others.

Often when I cant hold a shaft like on an alternator or motor or anything of that nature an air powered impact gun will take it right off or put it back on tight. There is always a way to hold the shaft but when I dont feel like it I just hit it with the impact gun and it always pops right off.

Often when I cant hold a shaft like on an alternator or motor or anything of that nature an air powered impact gun will take it right off or put it back on tight. There is always a way to hold the shaft but when I dont feel like it I just hit it with the impact gun and it always pops right off.

But there is no nut on an impellor. The threads are built into the impellor.

Al pumps are different , I mostly worki with Starite pumps which don't have access from the back since they have the speed switch system on the back, that is why I always do use visegrips, hey! whatever it works!... good luck

But this guy says he has Sundance theramax pumps, which means these are Aquaflo XP2's. There has to be a cover on the back and the slot in the rear of the shaft will be revealed.

John

But there is no nut on an impellor. The threads are built into the impellor.

Sorry, didnt realize that.

If the impellor is siezed onto the shaft ( which it often is) and you cannot get a pair of vice grips between the wet end and the motor housing, you will need to either remove the rear of the motor, or break the impellor to get it off. Drilling the impellor is a good idea, and alot less work than removing the rear cover of the motor. Putting a screw driver in the end of the shaft will probably not work because you a human hand cannot put enough force into that screwdriver to hold it when the impellor is siezed onto the shaft.

However, if you decide that you do want to remove the rear cover of the motor, there are usually 2 or 3 slots on the edge of the rear cover where you can fit a screwdriver into. Carefully pry the rear cover open little bits at a time as you work your way around the cover. There, you can get vice grips onto the shaft. If you take this route, you may as well change the bearings while it is broken open.

Good luck.

Ok Guys I was able to hold the shaft with a pair of vice grips and turn the impeller with little effort and it came right off. Now I have a new problem. I replaced the seal kit, impeller and wear ring. Now when I turn the pump on I have great flow but the pump sound horrible very loud, roaring noise? I am Puzzled! any Suggestions?

Ok Guys I was able to hold the shaft with a pair of vice grips and turn the impeller with little effort and it came right off. Now I have a new problem. I replaced the seal kit, impeller and wear ring. Now when I turn the pump on I have great flow but the pump sound horrible very loud, roaring noise? I am Puzzled! any Suggestions?

Did you put any Magilube on the new seal? Did you buy a quality seal? Did you bend the shaft or mar it? Shoulda used the nut or slot on the other end.

Hmmm...most likely cockpit error. I am thinking something is not right from you not assembling it properly. I would go back and check my assembly, and clearances, look for new wear spots from parts that are contacting each other in the impeller assembly.

Just an idea.