Cleaning Your Filters In The Dishwasher?

bart6453

I have heard people do it and so far I have not heard of problems... try it with the oldest filter cartridge that you have let us know how it went.. good luck

I don't actually put them in the dishwasher. I clean them in 5 gallon pails with 2 tbsp. of dishwashing detergent and 1 tbsp. of bleach. They soak for 1/2 hour on one side then I flip them over. Rinse well, very very well, with a hose afterwards. I keep the hot tub hose in the basement and hook it up when needed.

IMO dishwashers have residual soap. You also can't let it go to the rinse cycle if you've used Jet Dry. And also don't let it go into the heat dry cycle.

I find it better to use a filter cleaner (I use Brilliance brand) and soak them overnight. I feel this better gets out the oils that are what clogs a filter more than anything.

Okay, call me stupid. As my new hot tub has not arrived yet, I may not fully understand what is involved with cleaning a filter. That said, this intrigues me as I too live in Minnesota. What does/will winter have to do with cleaning your filter? You take it out and soak it over night form what I've read. Are you worried about your hot tub not running without the filter in? If so, I've been told to buy a second and rotate them (one in use while another is being cleaned)

Okay, call me stupid. As my new hot tub has not arrived yet, I may not fully understand what is involved with cleaning a filter. That said, this intrigues me as I too live in Minnesota. What does/will winter have to do with cleaning your filter? You take it out and soak it over night form what I've read. Are you worried about your hot tub not running without the filter in? If so, I've been told to buy a second and rotate them (one in use while another is being cleaned)

The winter issues have to do with thoroughly rinsing the filter after soaking. It works best with a pressure nozzle on a hose generally done outside. Rinsing it under the kitchen sink or in the bathtub does not do nearly as good a job. Failure to rinse properly will cause soap suds in the spa.

Good Thread! I am curious about it also. Hope I’m not thread jacking here.

I stuck mine in the dishwasher after spraying the monthly cleaner on them. Ran the full dish cycle. I have the ceramic Tri-X filter cartridges for my Hotsprings Envoy. About half way through the cycle I walked into the kitchen to find the floor of the kitchen covered in suds and oozing from the dishwasher. It was a huge mess. I know it was the bubbles from the spray solution that caused the foam over in the dishwasher. I did not rinse them before droping them in the dishwasher. The filters look fine and I now have them in the red Freshwater Filter Cleaner solution soaking in a plastic tub. Running the full cycle did not seem to harm them. What do you think? I understand that mine may not have been harmed since they are the expensive ceramic Tri-X filters. I don’t know but would love to know what you think. Jim

Good Thread! I am curious about it also. Hope I’m not thread jacking here.

I stuck mine in the dishwasher after spraying the monthly cleaner on them. Ran the full dish cycle. I have the ceramic Tri-X filter cartridges for my Hotsprings Envoy. About half way through the cycle I walked into the kitchen to find the floor of the kitchen covered in suds and oozing from the dishwasher. It was a huge mess. I know it was the bubbles from the spray solution that caused the foam over in the dishwasher. I did not rinse them before droping them in the dishwasher. The filters look fine and I now have them in the red Freshwater Filter Cleaner solution soaking in a plastic tub. Running the full cycle did not seem to harm them. What do you think? I understand that mine may not have been harmed since they are the expensive ceramic Tri-X filters. I don’t know but would love to know what you think. Jim

You'll always see it advised to run them without and dishwasher soap (and with no heat dry) so by spraying them with the filter cleaner and putting them in you basically caused your own bubble bath. If you're going to try/use the dishwasher next time make sure you rinse them off and beforehand.

I too had the hot springs ceramic filters. 5 for my Grandee! Bought ten cuz I just figured its easy to clean all at once then have available.

I sprayed and soaked, then put on a broom stick and hit it with a hose and let it spin. Then tried my power wash on it and it spun so fast and the weight of the water in it the thing actually blew apart!!!!!!

I tried the diswasher but found it really did not clean well enough and the cleaner (glorified Kaboom) will bubble up so the hose if really the only way to go. The ceramic filters are scrubable with a soft brush.

I sprayed and soaked, then put on a broom stick and hit it with a hose and let it spin. Then tried my power wash on it and it spun so fast and the weight of the water in it the thing actually blew apart!!!!!!

Well thats just awesome! I need a moment to stop laughing before I can take you seriously. That is so something I would do. You must have hit the floor laughing when it happened. Were you just trying to see how fast they would spin? Intuition alone tells me a pressure washer is a bit much for the spa filters.

I found the dishwasher to be very ineffective at cleaning the filters and find a high pressure nozzle on the yard hose much more effective. The acid solution (FreshWater filter cleaner) soak over night did wonders for the oils in the filters.