yesterday

ph 7.6

Alk 100

FC about 5

no one used the spa

today ph 7.6

alk 100

FC 0

should it be reading 0?? I would have thought that there should still be some in the water today

thanks for your thoughts

You had enough organics in the tub to use up the chlorine....add more....Nitro or Chem Geek can give better advice, but generally it takes me about 10ppm FC to get a stable reading out of new water and then my chlorine demand sits around 20-25%.

So....I put in the chlorine and it is reading 10ppm...I will wait the full 24 hours and check again. When i did test the water, I see green again. We do have well water with some iron..and i have added metal X twice so far..last time a week ago. I assume that the increase in green is minerals that have been outed by the large dose of chlorine that i had to use to get up to 10ppm. It it ok to add more metal X now while I am in the 24 hour holding pattern or shall I wait til the chlorine is stabilized?

Is your water balanced properly? You can add Metal X now or wait. I don't think it will matter.

Also, do you have a water softener? If so, next time you fill your tub, fill it with water coming from the water softener. It will reduce metals. Just be sure to add Calcium, cause it will reduce that too.

Ok, reporting back here....24 hours after shocking to 10ppm, I got a reading of 3-5. that was this morning. Changed the microfilter today, had to add more metalX. 9 hours after the 3-5 reading , i tested again and reading 0. Do I shock again??

Thanks for the help

Ok, reporting back here....24 hours after shocking to 10ppm, I got a reading of 3-5. that was this morning. Changed the microfilter today, had to add more metalX. 9 hours after the 3-5 reading , i tested again and reading 0. Do I shock again??

Thanks for the help

Never let your FC get to 0. So that means keeping adding chlorine (i.e. Shocking) until CD is 50% or less.

24 hours after 2nd shock..reads 0.5 , I don't get it ...sigh The CYA is rising...

Keep Shocking! When you're CYA gets to 30 ppm, switch to Regular Clorox bleach.

In a nutshell....if your chlorine usage is high it's because you are killing stuff in your tub. Once it is all dead you will see your chlorine usage (demand) drop to proper levels.

I helped a buddy with his pool once and we added of 75ppm chlorine over the course of 2 days and it finally stabilized to 5ppm FC at the end of day 2....so if your tub is dirty...you will be burning through the chlorine.

24 hours after 2nd shock..reads 0.5 , I don't get it ...sigh The CYA is rising...

Keep Shocking! When you're CYA gets to 30 ppm, switch to Regular Clorox bleach.

In a nutshell....if your chlorine usage is high it's because you are killing stuff in your tub. Once it is all dead you will see your chlorine usage (demand) drop to proper levels.

I helped a buddy with his pool once and we added of 75ppm chlorine over the course of 2 days and it finally stabilized to 5ppm FC at the end of day 2....so if your tub is dirty...you will be burning through the chlorine.

Exactly!