Any Recommendations On Pumps To Drain Tub?

KHJH

My hot tub is about to be "enclosed" by our new deck and getting to the drain plug and sneaking the hose under the deck could be a hassle.

Does anyone out there use a pump to drain their tubs? If so, are there any recommendations?

Thanks!

We got a sump pump from Sears that has a large hose to attach. It drains very quickly.

I have a sump type pump that you can just drop in water. It has a pipe fitting on top and I just added a garden hose connection and it does a good job. I use it as a back up to stir my koi pond water and add oxygen as a back up if my main pump ever goes out. It worked real good when I went to move my tub home.

Sounds like a regular ol' sump pump will do the trick - and I guess it won't hurt to have a back-up on hand should either of my pumps in the basement blow out.

Thanks!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94649

I bought one of these and a 1.5" discharge hose. I had a 20% off coupon so the pump cost about $40. It drains my 336 gallon tub in a little over 10 minutes. I need to cut the hose and make a section out of Schedule 40 where it goes over the side of the tub, as the discharge hose wants to collapse at that point.

We've used several brands/models over the years depending on what we could find when we needed them. However, we always use submersible pumps that allow for a standard sized 1.5" vinyl pool hose to attach to them. Works very quickly. Allows us to drain even the biggest spas in 15 to 20 minutes. Much more efficient for providing Drain & Clean services to our customers.

I picked up a sump pump on sale at the home center that I use for the Pool cover and draining the spa. It also came in handy when my regular sump pump died during a major rain storm.

It's not going to see heavy use, and your personal property doesn't depend on it, so go with whatever you can find cheap. Be sure that it has a 1.25 or 1.5" outlet for the pool hose. You can get flexible hose and an adapter cheap usually in the same store aisle as the pump.

The first time I drained my spa, I used a Harbor Freight sump pump. Since then, I've just used the 1 1/4" hose that came with the pump and siphon the water out, it takes about as long as the pump did.

Dave

The first time I drained my spa, I used a Harbor Freight sump pump. Since then, I've just used the 1 1/4" hose that came with the pump and siphon the water out, it takes about as long as the pump did.

Dave

To avoid dismantling the front cover to get at the drainage plug I recently purchased a pool cover pump for $40 from my local pool dealer. Not very fast but it does hook up to a regular hose fitting. Depending upon where your tub is situated you can easily set up an extra hose or two to use as syphons. With 2 syphons and the pool cover pump I emptied my 500 gallon tub in just over an hour.

Hi,

Have you thought about taking off your drain plug, install a ball valve tap and connecting it straight to you house waste? This can be done if your decking is raised enough to create a fall on the pipes. You could also include a pump in this line to pump the water out faster.

I have used many different submersible pumps off the shelf and not noticed too much difference, I would suggest you go for the biggest diameter hose you can get, this does make a difference to the draining speed.