Eczema

DK117

Hey all. I've got mild eczema, my two young daughters have a pretty serious case, but should minimize as they age. I'm told hot tubs are a no-no for this skin condition. However, there are a minority of people who say it actually improves the condition. I'd really appreciate some experienced feedback here, this could kill my hot tub search. We've only used tubs sporadically while on vacation, never on a daily/weekly basis.

Please let me know if you have any experience with hot tubs and eczema.

thanks in advance!

DK117

Hey all. I've got mild eczema, my two young daughters have a pretty serious case, but should minimize as they age. I'm told hot tubs are a no-no for this skin condition. However, there are a minority of people who say it actually improves the condition. I'd really appreciate some experienced feedback here, this could kill my hot tub search. We've only used tubs sporadically while on vacation, never on a daily/weekly basis.

thanks in advance!

DK117

Well....recent studies have found that a mild bleach bath helps substantially with eczema, and if you do a webmd search there is more in depth detail of it.

From my experience with my wife, who has (or now more accurately had) moderate eczema, twice weekly in our chlorine tub has completely cured her eczema. She has no symptoms or issues.

I have another issue, which is extreme atheletes foot (you could search the forum for my extremely descriptive post about it if you want) but trust me it's bad, prescription medication and all. When I use the tub two to three times a week I dont even need to use foot powder.

Our overall skin health has been greatly improved by our tub.

Keep in mind, we use chlorine as a sanitizer.

webmd

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-tre...ids-with-ezcema

My post

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...lete's+foot

Mayo Clinic (look at how much bleach they recommend!!!!! 4oz to 40 gallons!!!!!)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eczema-bleach-bath/AN02003

thanks in advance!

DK117

Well....recent studies have found that a mild bleach bath helps substantially with eczema, and if you do a webmd search there is more in depth detail of it.

From my experience with my wife, who has (or now more accurately had) moderate eczema, twice weekly in our chlorine tub has completely cured her eczema. She has no symptoms or issues.

I have another issue, which is extreme atheletes foot (you could search the forum for my extremely descriptive post about it if you want) but trust me it's bad, prescription medication and all. When I use the tub two to three times a week I dont even need to use foot powder.

thank you very much for this post ... what temp do you keep your tub?

thanks in advance!

DK117

thank you very much for this post ... what temp do you keep your tub?

you are very welcome....for the tub it depends.

Me and the wife, extended soak, more recreational...96-97

Me and the wife therapeutically...98-100

The kids in there anytime....95 or below...be careful with kids...they can't regulate their temp like we can.

This is for summer...in the winter I don't know because this is my first year with a tub.

Good luck...we love ours, and frankly the skin health is ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BENEFIT! Seriously...this has changed my comfort level on a daily basis so much, I will always have a tub. On a more disgusting note...not only did it cure my athlete's foot, but also that other condition closely related but about 3 feet higher in altitude.

anyways...good stuff...I wouldnt worry at all!

On a more disgusting note...not only did it cure my athlete's foot, but also that other condition closely related but about 3 feet higher in altitude.

anyways...good stuff...I wouldnt worry at all!

I'm a long distance runner, I know all too well about the "3 feet higher" skin issue. While my wife is going to be the big beneficiary of the tub, easing sore muscles will be a huge benefit. And if you're right, clearing up my skin and the girls skin would be absolutely priceless.

Thanks again. Looking forward to hearing more success stories or not, honest feedback is always appreciated.

DK117

On that note I too can vouch for the efficacy of hot tub soaking - and I've had mine only since April. I noticed improvement within just a couple weeks. Keep in mind, however, you HAVE to keep the chlorine up and the water.. well, perfect. I also find keeping the ph and alkalinity a bit on the high side helps. Baking soda and chlorine, the perfect bath!

And, on the sore muscle part... I also haven't had one of those "stiff spots in my back that won't go away" since April - not even a stiff neck. Wish I had known about these things years ago!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has a a medium case of eczema and it has gotten worse since we got our hot tub in March, we use bromine and since she has very sensitive skin and has had a hard time with the bromine and has decided to avoid the hot tub. After reading this forum, next water change we are switching to chlorine and hopfully it will have the opposite reaction. Thanks

My wife has a a medium case of eczema and it has gotten worse since we got our hot tub in March, we use bromine and since she has very sensitive skin and has had a hard time with the bromine and has decided to avoid the hot tub. After reading this forum, next water change we are switching to chlorine and hopfully it will have the opposite reaction. Thanks

Let us know how it goes.....I hope it works out and makes it better!

FWIW, My parent's had a tub years ago (when my wife and I were dating...so lets see...yup about 10-15 years ago) and they had a bromine tub. Admittedly my parent's did not take care of their tub as well as maybe it should have been, but it was a bromine tub. When my wife got in their tub it caused her extreme problems with her eczema....which is why it took me so long to convince her to get our tub. Anyways....if you read my earlier posts, our chlorine tub gives her no problems.

However, there are a minority of people who say it actually improves the condition.

DK117

I did suffer from mild eczema. Since we have had our spa it has nearly all gone.

We have used chlorine from the start.

My neice has it.. and it was really bad growing up (she is now 16).... they have had a hot tub the past 3 or 4 years, and have been on chlorine. She does not get it as bad anymore, so not sure if it is puberty or the hot tub helping.

On a side note, my nephew gets really bad skin rashes with chlorine, and he was my test rat with our bromine... he is in the tub more than me!

So b/w brmine and chlorine, it would be up to you... both have advantages and disadvantages.

Best bet, research and ask your doctor..... who knows, maybe you can get a prescription for a hot tub!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks in advance!

DK117

Have you tried this new stuff called silkbalance? I have been on it for a while now and my dealer told me that they have quite a few people with eczema and sensetive skin switch to it. I switched to it because they told me I don't have to test my water anymore, which I don't. And I don't have to add any start up chemicals. I still have to add shock when I get out though.. The silkbalance stuff is real gentle on the skin and they said its really good for the plumbing lines too. You should check it out. They have a lot of customer reviews on their website and some are from people with sensetive skin.

-hottublady

thanks in advance!

DK117

Have you tried this new stuff called silkbalance? I have been on it for a while now and my dealer told me that they have quite a few people with eczema and sensetive skin switch to it. I switched to it because they told me I don't have to test my water anymore, which I don't. And I don't have to add any start up chemicals. I still have to add shock when I get out though.. The silkbalance stuff is real gentle on the skin and they said its really good for the plumbing lines too. You should check it out. They have a lot of customer reviews on their website and some are from people with sensetive skin.

-hottublady

Thanks Hottublady, my tub won't arrive for several more weeks, but based on what I heard, silkbalance might just be the way to go from the onset. I"ll check it out and report back a month or so after soaking.

Thanks again,

DK117