Sticky Jets?

Laenini

I have a new 2008 CalSpas tub that I bought about 6 weeks ago. I actually bought it from a liquidator at a discount price as it was originally inventory from a dealer who went out of business. As a result, I don't have a whole lot of information about the tub, and no dealer to call with questions (yes, I know... I'm learning my lesson the hard way already on this!) Anyway, I have noticed in the short time we have been using this tub that some of the jets are getting very difficult to turn. There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them other than they seem sticky. It almost seems like they need some sort of lubricant? I know that sounds odd, but honestly if this was some other sort of knob located on some other sort of appliance, I'd be inclined to get out the WD-40! Even without a dealer to ask, I do know that WD-40 and hot tubs are probably best kept far, far away from each other! I am using bromine as my sanitizer and the tub has an ozonator. While I am new to hot tub ownership, I have had an above ground pool for a bit over a year now and so I have had some sort of practice with keeping a body of water sanitized and balanced. I have been diligent in keeping the hot tub's water chemistry parameters under control.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and what I could do to remedy it?

Thanks!

Leanne

I have a new 2008 CalSpas tub that I bought about 6 weeks ago. I actually bought it from a liquidator at a discount price as it was originally inventory from a dealer who went out of business. As a result, I don't have a whole lot of information about the tub, and no dealer to call with questions (yes, I know... I'm learning my lesson the hard way already on this!) Anyway, I have noticed in the short time we have been using this tub that some of the jets are getting very difficult to turn. There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them other than they seem sticky. It almost seems like they need some sort of lubricant? I know that sounds odd, but honestly if this was some other sort of knob located on some other sort of appliance, I'd be inclined to get out the WD-40! Even without a dealer to ask, I do know that WD-40 and hot tubs are probably best kept far, far away from each other! I am using bromine as my sanitizer and the tub has an ozonator. While I am new to hot tub ownership, I have had an above ground pool for a bit over a year now and so I have had some sort of practice with keeping a body of water sanitized and balanced. I have been diligent in keeping the hot tub's water chemistry parameters under control.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and what I could do to remedy it?

Thanks!

Leanne

It's usually sand or other debris that gets jammed between the nozzle and jet body. You should remove the nozzles and clean them before they really get screwed up badly. If they get too clogged, your only recourse may be to replace the nozzles.

To prevent this from happening in the future, try brushing your feet off before getting in the tub. Also, check the environment around the tub for potential problems. For instance, if you have pine trees in the area, it may be prudent to sweep the area around the tub before using it. The sap from pine trees can be problematic.

John

I bought a secondhand Jacuzzi and the jets and diverters had bits of grit and dirt from the previous owner. I cleaned them all out, and did not use any lube when reinstalling them. I also use a spa vacuum regularly to remove the grit, as not everyone in my family is as diligent about wiping off their feet as I am. The spa sits on a concrete paver patio and there is always going to be some grit on it.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/game-vacuum.htm

I would recommend that you try removing the jets and soaking them in a solution of vinegar and water, a 4 to 1 solution ( 4 gal water 1 gal vinegar) this help remove any calcium buldup or other mineral deposited on the jets insert. I would also clean out the jet body with something like a scrubby bad, be careful not to use and overly abrasive pad.

Good Luck..!

Dennis

D1 Spas

Tech Support Rep

I would recommend that you try removing the jets and soaking them in a solution of vinegar and water, a 4 to 1 solution ( 4 gal water 1 gal vinegar) this help remove any calcium buldup or other mineral deposited on the jets insert. I would also clean out the jet body with something like a scrubby bad, be careful not to use and overly abrasive pad.

Good Luck..!

Dennis

D1 Spas

Tech Support Rep

Dennis you could be exactly right as we do have high mineral content in our water since it is from a dugout. I remember a couple weeks ago when I took out my filter to clean it was completely yellow color. good thing is my dealer got it clean again

Thanks I will try this tonight!!

Thanks for all of the good advice! I've done some thinking and I think I have started to put 2 + 2 together. When my hot tub was delivered, the guys I bought it from saw my above ground pool sitting just a few yards away from the new hot tub and they got the brilliant idea to fill the hot tub using my pool water, not the tap water. These guys run a local spa repair shop so I figured they knew what they were doing and I let them go ahead. I use the BBB system in my AGP, plus I have added borates to 50 ppm and NaCl to 2000 ppm to improve the feel of the pool water. I got to thinking, I wonder if that salt is crystallizing inside some of the hot tub jets and sticking them up? So I drained my tub yesterday and started over with a fresh fill of water straight from the tap. I've balanced the fresh water and already things seem much improved! The jets are turning much more freely now than they were. I really do think the salt in the pool water was behind the problem.

At this point I do think it would help to open up the jets and clean inside of them. I can't seem to figure out though how to open them up? I know I'm supposed to turn them 1/4 turn passed either the fully open point or the fully closed point, but I am not sure which? I've gently tried both ways and they don't seem to want to budge. Do I need to press in on them (like a child proof pill bottle cap) or anything like that? Is there a special wrench that is needed or anything?

Again, I appreciate all of the advice!

• 10 months later...