New Pool (diamond Brite)

mag357

Hi folks, I have a new inground pool with diamond brite plaster finish and I have the grandkids over for their last week of summer but they left with pain. Foot bottom sore and almost bleeding because of the pool wall being very rough. The pool bottom is a little better but if you stay long enough in the pool, even the pool floor start hurting you. What can I do to aliviate this, I was planning to get a wire wall brush and brush like hell to see if that would help. What do you good people think I should do.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Diamond Brite is an exposed quartz aggregate. The surface is basically the same thing as sandpaper. The quartz is more durable than marble, but the tradeoff is the rough surface. I don't think that there is anything you can do to permanently smooth the surface.

You could sand the surface smooth, but that would probably be a temporary solution, and it might end up being a more abrasive surface as the cement wears down. I don't think that a brush is going to help much.

I have always thought that exposed aggregate for pool surfaces and decking was a very bad idea.

I think that the best aggregate is dolomite. It is calcium magnesium carbonate. Dolomite is harder and denser than the calcite form of calcium carbonate or limestone, and is more chemically inert and more impervious to acid attack.

http://www.specialtyminerals.com/our-miner...at-is-dolomite/

http://www.specialtyminerals.com/specialty...-pool-plasters/

Also note: 3M Co. announced it would discontinue its Colorquartz line of plaster additives and exit the pool and spa plastering business at the end of December 2009.

A few more important points:

1) Plaster is a mixture of white Portland cement and aggregate. The weight ratio is usually about 1 cement to 2 aggregate. The cement contains calcium hydroxide, which is the most susceptible component of the plaster.

Therefore, even if the aggregate is completely impervious to chemical attack, the cement is still vulnerable. If the cement dissolves, then all you will have is a pile of quartz sand.

2) Calcium carbonate aggregate based pool plaster is often underestimated due to poor maintenance. Many people dismiss the need to keep the Saturation Index positive. They will say that as long as the SI does not exceed -0.5, then there is nothing to worry about.

These are the same people who say that plaster should last about 5 to 10 years. Marble-based plaster can easily last over 20 years if it the pool is properly maintained. Proper maintenance means that the SI should never go negative unless there is a very good reason and then only for a brief time.

3) To increase the plaster's resistance to chemical attack, a pozzolan, such as fine silica, can be added to convert the calcium hydroxide into calcium silicate.

4) Exposed aggregate is going to be extremely rough, no matter what the salesperson says.