Jandy Aquapure Odd Readings

Potsy

The Jandy Aquapure 1400 has been reading a very high salinity reading (14,000) and general fault. I recently replaced the sensor and am getting correct temperature readings, but had to splice the sensor cable after finding cuts, likely from the weedeater. I found a nick in the ribbon cable that connects the front and back boards, and would like to replace the ribbon cable if I can find one without buying a front or back board. The ribbon cable does not seem to be severed, but I can see a conductor. I cannont recalibrate the salinity according to the manual because the system does not seem to respond when I reach the step of decreasing the salinity reading. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Jandy Aquapure 1400 has been reading a very high salinity reading (14,000) and general fault. I recently replaced the sensor and am getting correct temperature readings,

Are you getting the correct salinity readings as well?

but had to splice the sensor cable after finding cuts, likely from the weedeater.

If your getting correct temp readings, Your splice may be ok.

I found a nick in the ribbon cable that connects the front and back boards, and would like to replace the ribbon cable if I can find one without buying a front or back board. The ribbon cable does not seem to be severed, but I can see a conductor. I cannont recalibrate the salinity according to the manual because the system does not seem to respond when I reach the step of decreasing the salinity reading.

The nick may be deep enough to partially cut the wire that is exposed. If your unit had never been calibrated before and its now out of calibration, then the problem may be the splice, or the ribbon cable..

I recalibrate the unit as a last resort as recalibrating affects all future sensor replacements. Meaning that the unit will have to be re calibrated if the flow sensor is ever replaced again. I hope the guy replacing knows that it has been recalibrated and needs to do so agian, Otherwise he'll be scratching his head wondering why his new sensors aren't reporting the proper levels and start replacing with more sensors then thinking he has a bad batch of sensors and warrantying them and... you get the picture. I would recommend getting a new sensor. I know this isn't a very popular recomendation and i realize i don't have to pay for it, but i do know you can get the sensors online for a fraction of what they cost at your pool store.

As for the ribbon cable, I have never had to replace that part and don't know if it is available. I would call Jandy T/S and see if they will/can get you one.

Note: the ribbon cable cut could be what is giving you the bad readings and may be giving you different readings at different times. And that would mess up your calibration again and again. Thats why I wouldn't try to calibrate (at this point). That may be why you cant calibrate in one direction too!

The Jandy Aquapure 1400 has been reading a very high salinity reading (14,000) and general fault. I recently replaced the sensor and am getting correct temperature readings,

[/color]Salinity readings are not correct, but temperature and flow are.

but had to splice the sensor cable after finding cuts, likely from the weedeater.

If your getting correct temp readings, Your splice may be ok.

I found a nick in the ribbon cable that connects the front and back boards, and would like to replace the ribbon cable if I can find one without buying a front or back board. The ribbon cable does not seem to be severed, but I can see a conductor. I cannont recalibrate the salinity according to the manual because the system does not seem to respond when I reach the step of decreasing the salinity reading.

The nick may be deep enough to partially cut the wire that is exposed. If your unit had never been calibrated before and its now out of calibration, then the problem may be the splice, or the ribbon cable..

I recalibrate the unit as a last resort as recalibrating affects all future sensor replacements. Meaning that the unit will have to be re calibrated if the flow sensor is ever replaced again. I hope the guy replacing knows that it has been recalibrated and needs to do so agian, Otherwise he'll be scratching his head wondering why his new sensors aren't reporting the proper levels and start replacing with more sensors then thinking he has a bad batch of sensors and warrantying them and... you get the picture. I would recommend getting a new sensor. I know this isn't a very popular recomendation and i realize i don't have to pay for it, but i do know you can get the sensors online for a fraction of what they cost at your pool store.

As for the ribbon cable, I have never had to replace that part and don't know if it is available. I would call Jandy T/S and see if they will/can get you one.

Note: the ribbon cable cut could be what is giving you the bad readings and may be giving you different readings at different times. And that would mess up your calibration again and again. Thats why I wouldn't try to calibrate (at this point). That may be why you cant calibrate in one direction too!

I have not yet recalibrated, but only because my system won't allow me to. I did check the voltages on the boards according to the manual's correct readings and they appear to be off. I don't know if the ribbon cable could affect these readings, but the test results show that the problem is with the front board and the sensor is working correctly (except for the errant salinity reading).

I spoke to the Jandy supplier and they do NOT sell the ribbon cable alone. It only comes with the board.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

[/color]Salinity readings are not correct, but temperature and flow are.

Sorry, but i think your gonna need a new sensor....

Also, get the water tested somewhere or by someone who can verify the salt level. 14,000 is pretty outrageous.

I have used ribbon cables from Clormatic units, am I allowed to say that here?

You will need to be quite the electronis whiz to splice that sensor cable...

• 2 weeks later...