Spa Mover Material

BigDfromTN

I am looking at moving a Caldera Utopia and have to pull it up a hill and around a corner. All of this is over a sodded yard I do not want to tear up and it start washing out.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what material the plastic type spa movers are made of and how thick they are?

Thanks,

Don

• 2 weeks later...

You could move it using fence posts.

Get as many as you can and lay them under the spa giving it lots of support.

Then roll spa to its new location.

Just keep placing the posts in front of the spa as you roll over them.

Helps to have lots of hands helping you.

Thanks Dennis,

Actually I got a 4x8x1/8 sheet of polypropylene. Put a piece of 2x4 on one end with drywall screws and drilled 4 one inch holes in the other end.

Being as we had to pass through a narrow area at the corner of the house and then go up a steep grassy area. Not wanting to damage the sod we tilted the tub on its side and "slid" it up the hill with a winch from a 4-wheeler. In the 4 holes I put 2 1" wide straps from one hole to another and adjusted them to the same length so it would pull straight with the hook from the winch.

WORKED GREAT!!!!

Once up on the flat space we just pulled it along side the trailer, tilted and pushed it on.

If any one has any questions about this process, Just let me know.

We use a piece of plastic that they use for the bottom of some air boats. We drilled 2 holes in each end and use thick nylon rope.

We have also used a riding lawnmower to pull the sled. If you have a rider this will make it sooo much easier.

We actually used the 4 wheeler to move this one as well as the winch part. The plastic is a GREAT tool and will work on all surfaces.

We use a specialized moving system from Spa Dolly. We have not yet been stumped moving any spa with it and it really works slick. No need for winches, 4 wheelers or lawn tractors. For the professional who moves spa's often, it's worth checking out. http://www.spadolly.com/index.htm

Mrfixit,

I would have loved to rented one of those If I could have found one to rent. I called around and could not. SO.... Improvised pretty good with what was available. and it worked very well. Also where this one was located, we needed some sort of power to get it up the hill as it was quite steep!

Thanks for the input and I realize you qualified your suggestion to the professional.

we also use a spa dolly can't be beat.

$4500 plus tax for a spa dolly? Rental maybe ... Anyway, I live on a city lot 7700 sq feet. The access to the back yard is 5 feet wide, but you have to consider the fence, landscaping etc, there's barely over 4 feet clearance, I don't see this spa dolly fitting through. And I'm really concerned about the 970 lb Strong Spa from Costco, could any of you movers get that into my back yard?

DK117?

we also use a spa dolly can't be beat.

$4500 plus tax for a spa dolly? Rental maybe ... Anyway, I live on a city lot 7700 sq feet. The access to the back yard is 5 feet wide, but you have to consider the fence, landscaping etc, there's barely over 4 feet clearance, I don't see this spa dolly fitting through. And I'm really concerned about the 970 lb Strong Spa from Costco, could any of you movers get that into my back yard?

DK117?

Not a spa "mover" here, but I did move mine.

The plastic I used will work! You can go from concrete to grass to gravel etc with little problems and no need to lay down sheets of ply wood on soft ground. Check out this web site for some videos etc. You may want to even buy that one.?.?

I moved a Caldera Geneva, 7.5' x 7.5' x 38" and dry weight of 920 pounds. We did this over a sodded yard and up a steep hill. The sod was not damaged and no one got hurt. On the flat part getting ready for the "hill climb" 3 of us moved it with no problem. It was an effort but not a problem. Im thinking you and 2-3 friends could do it no problem. Actually the moving is the easier part. Tipping up on edge and letting down to flat are the hard parts with out a spa wedge or air bag of some sort.