Spa Timer Won’t Kick Over To Run Spa. Brand New Timer, What Could Be Causing The Problem?

caliskier

My old spa timer would work part of the time, in the winter and summer it seamed to not kick over to start the spa. In the spring and fall it seams to work fine. So this summer I noticed the spa not coming on again. The timer gets stuck at the on position and does not kick it over to turn it on. I replaced it with a new one and it does not even seem to move. Anyone know how I can trouble shoot this next?

Thanks!

My old spa timer would work part of the time, in the winter and summer it seamed to not kick over to start the spa. In the spring and fall it seams to work fine. So this summer I noticed the spa not coming on again. The timer gets stuck at the on position and does not kick it over to turn it on. I replaced it with a new one and it does not even seem to move. Anyone know how I can trouble shoot this next?

Thanks!

You need to verify the timer is getting voltage with a meter. make sure the power wires are on the coil side of the timer and not the contacts. The coil should have a picture of a circle

Thanks!

You need to verify the timer is getting voltage with a meter. make sure the power wires are on the coil side of the timer and not the contacts. The coil should have a picture of a circle

Yes, the wires are hooked up correctly, because twisting the timer past the on switch powers the spa. So it must be the voltage to the clock motor right?

I am going to shut it down at the main so I do not kill myself and then hook up the meter. I will hook up the meter by pulling the two wires from clock and then push the pins into those femail plugs, then turn the switch at the main back on. My spa is 220. To make sure I am measuring correctly, what voltage setting do I turn my volt meter to?

Thanks!

Yes, the wires are hooked up correctly, because twisting the timer past the on switch powers the spa. So it must be the voltage to the clock motor right?

I am going to shut it down at the main so I do not kill myself and then hook up the meter. I will hook up the meter by pulling the two wires from clock and then push the pins into those femail plugs, then turn the switch at the main back on. My spa is 220. To make sure I am measuring correctly, what voltage setting do I turn my volt meter to?

Use the highest setting for AC volts. Mine has a 200 and 500 volt setting. If it a diehl timer they used to put a little hole in the back to see if the gears are moving. You could have a bad timer even if its new

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Use the highest setting for AC volts. Mine has a 200 and 500 volt setting. If it a diehl timer they used to put a little hole in the back to see if the gears are moving. You could have a bad timer even if its new

I edited this, I stated before that I did not get a voltage, but actually I was measuring the wrong side of the timer. I get 122.7 Volts going to the timer motor.

So I guess the switch is bad? But my other concern is if I have the correct timer to begin with. Here are the specs of my old and new timers.

OLD:

Single Pole Single Throw 20 Amp. “R” 120-277V. AC; 1250 W (10A) “T” 125V. AC; 16FLA, 72LRA, 120V. AC; 12 FLA, 2HP, 240V. AC

NEW:

SPST 20 Amp “R” 120-277V. VAC, 1800 W. (15A) “T”, 120VAC, 1 H.P. – 120VAC 2HP -240 VAC. 360 VA 120/240 VAC

Is the new timer compatable, could that be my problem?