Moving A Hot Tub

shamaro6808

We are looking at a home where the owners have built a room around an 8X8' hot tub.

It is too big to turn on it's side and take out even though there is direct access to outside from this room.

It was suggested that the tub could be cut in half to remove and then put back to working condition outside which is where we want it.

Any suggestion on how we could get it outside and put back together to use???

Thanks in advance!

It was suggested that the tub could be cut in half to remove and then put back to working condition outside which is where we want it.

Seriously?!?

Options:

1) Tear out a wall to remove spa, rebuild wall.

2) Destroy hot tub & remove in pieces.

Cut it in half? Yikes! Never heard of this. If you cut it in half, I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy a new one. On the other hand, the wall can be rebuilt without any evidence of it being taken down. Post some pics of this "tub removal" if you can. I'm sure there will be something to be learned from this.

Cut it in half? Yikes! Never heard of this. If you cut it in half, I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy a new one. On the other hand, the wall can be rebuilt without any evidence of it being taken down. Post some pics of this "tub removal" if you can. I'm sure there will be something to be learned from this.

The room is in the lower level of the home . . . three outside wells (like a bi-level with the walls only partially above ground) and the fourth backs onto two rooms with a load bearing partition wall and the tub wouldn't have a hope of going out this way. The owners built the room around the tub.

So unfortunately taking down a wall isn't an option without damaging the exterior of the house.

It's a nice room with lots of windows, cedar walls and tile floor. It will be used as a music and dance room.

We have no interest in an indoor hot tub, but were hoping there was some way to get it out, reassemble and be able to use outdoors.

My hubby's opinion is that if fibreglass boats can be repaired and sent back out on the water that there should be some way to cut with a fine saw and then repair.

I hate to see it simply destroyed if there are any other possibilities.

:huh:

I would like to know who suggested cutting the spa in half and putting it back together, that is not even remotely possible. As most in this forum will agree, yoou havethe following options.

1. Remove the wall

2. never use the spa again and cut it into small enough pieces to fit through a 36" opening.

Personally option number one makes the most sense to me..!

I would like to know who suggested cutting the spa in half and putting it back together, that is not even remotely possible. As most in this forum will agree, yoou havethe following options.

1. Remove the wall

2. never use the spa again and cut it into small enough pieces to fit through a 36" opening.

Personally option number one makes the most sense to me..!

Thanks for your comments.

As I mentioned in the previous post, removing a wall is not an option as they are outside walls with about 1/3 below ground. The house has a stucco exterior and I don't see any way to make that work. The inside wall is not an option because it would not fit up the bi-level stairs to get out the front door either and by the way the basement is set up it would actually mean taking out three walls even before getting stuck at the door!

It looks like it will just have to be a sabotage job which is most unfortunate.

Unfortunately, destroying it is your only option. I am faced with the same scenerio myself. My 1995 spa is in a sunroom and I have no way of getting it out. I spoke to the sunroom company, they want approx $3300 to disassemble part of the room then reassemble it. That cost is certainly more than I can expect to get for a 14 year old hot tub. Right now, the sunroom doesn't leak, it's been absolutely perfect. If we undo it, there is no guarantee that it won't leak after. For those reasons, I have decided that destroying my tub :( is the best way to go. I'll put the spa pack on Kijiji, it may be of use to someone... I'm putting a new Jacuzzi outside...so I'll forget about my old tub soon enough :)

You said you were looking at the home... So it isn't yours? Are you considering purchasing this home? Why not ask the home owner to deal with it as part of the contract, or reduce the cost of the house the value of the tub, then go buy a new one when you move in. I'm not a realitor, but that is what I would try to get worked into the contract before buying the house, if it bugs you it probably bugs other buyers. Not all imporvments bring value to the home, some take away.

I agree that cutting it in half is unlikely to work... not to mention if it did work you might have small leaks, but at the least you would end up with a nice scar, making it a complaint you will get from potential buyers if you still have the tub when you want to sell the house.

If you destroy it, consider selling the good parts on eBay, at least you will get some money back for it, though it may not be much.