ECO ONE GOOD FOR SMALL POOLS?

Guest KAREN

Well,

I'm a new fiberglass pool owner, 8 x 15 inground with a sunroom. I am using the synergy system. My water looks great. I think I keep my levels pretty good but I am also itching like crazy. My body looks horrible with red bumps and rashes. I am not allergis to chlorine. I have read a lot of the posts and it seems eco one is a good thing but it seems to be only for spas. Somebody help before I scratch my skin off.

The Eco One company sells a copper based bactericide/algeacide with their products called Rainforest Blue. You add to your pool or spa weekly or biweekly depending on use and does not irritate skin.

I've been using this product for years and my water is always crystal clear. It might work out very well for you because it has absolutely no chemical smell. The chemical fumes from chlorine or bromine in a indoor pool or spa can be nasty.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
What is eco one and how does it chlorinate the pool? Did they tell you exactly how it works when you got it?

eco one is an enzyme based system like spa magic that uses a non chlorine shock and does not use an EPA approved sanitizer! I would stay away from it, especially for a fiberglass pool that cannot be completely drained and refilled every month or 2!

Rainforest Blue is a copper based system that still requires about a .5ppm residual chlorine in the water!

Pool care is really very easy to balance your water and use chlorine as a sanitizer. There are really no shortcuts if you want healthy water. 2 step systems like Synergy do not give you control over your water and test strips are only good for quick checks to see if something is out of whack. To accurately deterimine what is going on in your water you need a drop based test kit such as Taylor K2005 or even better K-2006 with the FAS-DPD titration test for free and combined chlorine. Then you can add exactly what you need! There are a lot of good primers on water care and there is even an excellent one included in the Taylor kits. Even walmart sells an inexpensive drop based test kit that comes with a good primer on water care and is only about $15 dollars, not as good as the Taylor kits but it can get you started!

The fact that you got a rash on the Synergy system should tell you that your water is either out of balance or is not properly sanitized!

eco one is an enzyme based system like spa magic that uses a non chlorine shock and does not use an EPA approved sanitizer! I would stay away from it, especially for a fiberglass pool that cannot be completely drained and refilled every month or 2!

Rainforest Blue is a copper based system that still requires about a .5ppm residual chlorine in the water!

Pool care is really very easy to balance your water and use chlorine as a sanitizer. There are really no shortcuts if you want healthy water. 2 step systems like Synergy do not give you control over your water and test strips are only good for quick checks to see if something is out of whack. To accurately deterimine what is going on in your water you need a drop based test kit such as Taylor K2005 or even better K-2006 with the FAS-DPD titration test for free and combined chlorine. Then you can add exactly what you need! There are a lot of good primers on water care and there is even an excellent one included in the Taylor kits. Even walmart sells an inexpensive drop based test kit that comes with a good primer on water care and is only about $15 dollars, not as good as the Taylor kits but it can get you started!

The fact that you got a rash on the Synergy system should tell you that your water is either out of balance or is not properly sanitized!

I would like to add when shopping for a test kit I would recommend a DPD test kit which will give you a red or pink indicator of chlorine and can be used to test both free chlorine and combined chlorine. The OTO test kits which give a yellow indicator of chlorine give a reading for combined chlorine only.

In some markets like ours OTO test kits have been banned for commercial test kits because with this type of test kit you may get a yellow indication of chlorine but actually have no free chlorine in the pool to sanitize it.

I would recommd the Taylot test kit as Waterbear said or if you have a Bioguard dealer in your area they carry a multi test kit also.