Building A Swimming Pool On Top Of The Basement

I would like to thank you in advance for reading my post.

I would like to kindly request your advice on whether it would be possible to build a swimming pool on top of a basement. My basement is about 3m tall and I use it as a parking space; however it is enormous (80 square meters). On top of the basement is my garden connected to the back of the house. So what I am actually talking about in making a whole on the back of the garden (i.e. of the concrete) and insert the fiberglass swimming pool consequently scarifying (if required) some of the parking space. Is this possible? Dangers? Does it need support from below? Actually I can imagine that this kind of construction is something similar with building a pool on a block of apartments.

I would like to thank you in advance for reading my post.

I would like to kindly request your advice on whether it would be possible to build a swimming pool on top of a basement. My basement is about 3m tall and I use it as a parking space; however it is enormous (80 square meters). On top of the basement is my garden connected to the back of the house. So what I am actually talking about in making a whole on the back of the garden (i.e. of the concrete) and insert the fiberglass swimming pool consequently scarifying (if required) some of the parking space. Is this possible? Dangers? Does it need support from below? Actually I can imagine that this kind of construction is something similar with building a pool on a block of apartments.

• 1 year later...

I have seen some pools located at the top of the basement but I think it requires some professional consultation for the safety of your home. There are cases that pools on the top of basement causes the flood on your home. It maybe dangerous but I think that that would be cool. Good luck to your plans! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have done fiberglass pools on roof-top and above car-ports along with setting them in a wood craddle to have the pool off the living space in Outer Banks beach houses . We had to have a local engineer design the support system and do some load calculations for your existing structure. We make a model pool that worked great with our family sized flat bottom pool which is 14' x 32' and a flat 4'6" depth that makes the pool placement easier. You do have other things to consider for the project to address like splash-out water when the pool is used, rain water run-off in the pool area, zoning regulations with the building department, where to place the filter system. The pool I am speaking of can be found at www.sunpools.com and the model is the Cayman 14' x 32' x 4'6" deep. A pool shell for this application would be required to have additional laminate and supports added to the actual shell when it's produced.

• 1 month later...

In addition to the additional support issues, there are also ventilation concerns and existing construction material concerns. An indoor pool environment is humid. Humidity can beget mold. I would be very shocked if the existing construction had that potential accounted for.

Scott