Jandy Aqualink

mrfixit

Hi folks-

I am a Technician in Ontario, Canada. To some, this may seem like a simple and silly question but I am stumped.

I have a customer with a Jandy Aqualink ( this is the only Aqualink in the area, so I do not have alot of experience with them) and the issue I have is this...

in the system and connected to the Aqualink for the last 7-8 years was a Raypak PR 335 heater. The heater, for some reason, stopped responding to the Aqualink . The heater was due to be changed anyway, and we recently installed a new PR336 and all worked well with the new heater for about a week, until the propane tank ran dry and the heater, of course, could not light. After the propane tank was filled, the heater will now not light in the remote setting. It works fine manually, but will not work on command from the Aqualink. Neither RayPak nor Jandy was able to help with why this is happening.

I suspect that the error code history may have something to do with this, but am not sure. The code in the memory are as follows 1) PRS (pressure issue) 2) GVC (gas valve closed) and 3) IGL (ignition lockout). I did not clear the history from memory because at the time I did not think it was significant to the issue, but am now thinking maybe I was wrong.

The aqualink seems to be working fine as far as sending the signal to the heater to light ( as indicated on the Jandy control) but the heater is for some reason not responding to the signal.

And yes the heater is in REM mode ( flashes REM alternate with the temp)

Any help would be graciously and thankfully accepted.

Are you taking it out of remote mode when running the heater manually?

Or can you use the touch pad the way it is?

The pad should be disabled while in remote mode. Except for the ability to take it out of remote.

Or, are you running heater manually through the Jandy service panel?

Is this an all button or a one touch?

Are you getting a red heater light at the Jandy?

And the set point is 104 at the heater, yes?

Jump the heater wires at the Jandy box, and see if heater fires, then disconnect and see if heater shuts down. If it does both those things, Its the Jandy, and maybe reset/ clear memory is in order. If not, maybe damaged wire from Jandy box to heater.

Yes I am taking the heater out of remote mode on the heater, and yes the keypad is disabled while in remote mode. The Jandy is a one touch and yes I am getting a red heater light on the main control. And yes I am at 104 on the heater. I did attempt to start the heater thru the jandy in service mode but it did not work.

I will do the above mentioned jump and see how that works. Any indication on what the voltage should be to the heater from the Jandy? I assume 12v?

If I reset the Jandy, what exactly does that do? Am I going to have to reprogram it?

Yes I am taking the heater out of remote mode on the heater, and yes the keypad is disabled while in remote mode. The Jandy is a one touch and yes I am getting a red heater light on the main control. And yes I am at 104 on the heater. I did attempt to start the heater thru the jandy in service mode but it did not work.

I will do the above mentioned jump and see how that works. Any indication on what the voltage should be to the heater from the Jandy? I assume 12v?

If I reset the Jandy, what exactly does that do? Am I going to have to reprogram it?

Jandy just closes the switch and completes the safety/remote circuit on the Raypak. So if you wanted tho check The Jandy, just check for continuity on the two pins where the heater wire connects. Remove heater wire before checking for continuity.

Yes, If you clear memory, write down your labels and programs.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue resolved! Turns out the control for the Aqualink was routed through a servo motor that opened and closed a louver assembly for make up air for the Raypak. The servo motor was controlled by the Jandy, and the heater was controlled by the servo motor. The motor was jammed with dust and did not open properly, and was not tripping the switch to start the heater.

Thanks for your help, PC, I appreciate it.