Cheap Booster Seat Trick

r5ran

With my wife being over a foot shorter than me, she often has a problem with the tub being too deep for her, even in the shorter seats, especially since I like to keep the water level pretty deep for my height. We tried a couple of those water filled spa booster seats (about $20 each) , but they were only a few inches thick, even when we filled them as much we could, so when they were sat on, they compressed down to only about a 2 inch boost, which really wasn't worthwhile. The only way she could use them, was too fold them over in half, which did double their thickness, but it made them very small and unstable and hard to stay on. Also, this added pressure was too much stress, as both of them failed in a short time afterwards......

But I had an idea.....I simply bought a cheap 24" beach ball, then filled it up about 1/2 way with water (using a tiny funnel helps) and purged all the remaining air out.....Hallelujah! It works great! she loves it! It raises her almost a foot up, and is nice and wide, and fairly stable, too, (even though you do have to settle into it a bit still). Because it is only 1/2 full, the vinyl is not stressed and has held up well....total cost ...89 cents!

So, if you have a short wife (who does not like to get her hair wet! :P ), give it a try.

Randy

LOL @ Wannago

r5ran, the two previous booster seats you tried, do you know what brand they were? It sounds like you've resolved your need, but I thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else needs one. The booster seat we've been selling lately (with good feedback) has been the "Life" Spa Booster Seat.

http://poolsystemsusa.com/uploads/Spa_booster_seat_copy.jpg

It fills with water, and gives you about a 4" lift. So far folks seem to like it. Just curious what you guys had used and not liked.

LOL @ Wannago

r5ran, the two previous booster seats you tried, do you know what brand they were? It sounds like you've resolved your need, but I thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else needs one. The booster seat we've been selling lately (with good feedback) has been the "Life" Spa Booster Seat.

http://poolsystemsusa.com/uploads/Spa_booster_seat_copy.jpg

It fills with water, and gives you about a 4" lift. So far folks seem to like it. Just curious what you guys had used and not liked.

Used this one from Spadepot.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Comfort-Boost...at-P651C56.aspx

They were nice enough to replace the first one at no charge, but I didn't bother asking them when it broke again. I did look at the one you carry, and it is about an inch thicker, but that 4 inch compresses down to about 3 inches when you sit on it, so that still would not be much of a boost.

BTW, in case anyone gets the impression my wife is, let's just say, "plus sized", you couldn't be more wrong! She is about 5'3", about 115 lbs, works out every day and has a body most 20 year olds would be jealous of! It's just that I am about a foot taller, and like the water really deep! OK, I better stop before I get in trouble here! :P Randy

• 11 years later...
On 8/6/2009 at 11:19 PM, r5ran said:

cheap 24" beach ball, then filled it up about 1/2 way with water (using a tiny funnel helps) and purged all the remaining air out.....Hallelujah! It works great! she loves it! It raises her almost a foot up..

I know your post is very old! Hopefully you see my question. Was it hard to keep it down into the water? Did it move around? Did the beach ball hold up with the heat of the hot tub?  I'm trying to find ideas on diy spa seats and headrests and found your post while searching online..  I wonder if gluing suction cups on the beach ball would work also (safe glue)