Tsp As A Filter Cleaner.....

bart6453

What is the procedure to clean my filter cartridge?

1) Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer’s instructions

2) Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element.Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, and wash all the pleats with emphasis between the pleats.

3) Rinse until all dirt and debris is gone

4) For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (overnight is most effective) in:

A a commercial filter cleaner, or,

B one cup tri sodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons of water

C one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

5) Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.

6) If the filter has a coating of algae, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium hypo chlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.

7) Rinse the filter cartridge clean and reassemble housing.

• Thanks 1

That makes me think....can a guy just put them in your dishwasher?????

Maybe use TSP in there too?

The dishwasher isn't going to clean out the grit and junk in between the pleats like a hose will. I use 1 cup of dishwashing detergent plus a tablespoon of bleach in a 5 gallon pail. Soak for a half day, flipping ends every 30 minutes or so. Sooner or later I'm going to make a soaking vessel that's better than a 5 gallon pail, but I have to find some tubing that's 7" or 8" ID first. Then there will be no flipping involved.

That makes me think....can a guy just put them in your dishwasher?????

Maybe use TSP in there too?

The dishwasher isn't going to clean out the grit and junk in between the pleats like a hose will. I use 1 cup of dishwashing detergent plus a tablespoon of bleach in a 5 gallon pail. Soak for a half day, flipping ends every 30 minutes or so. Sooner or later I'm going to make a soaking vessel that's better than a 5 gallon pail, but I have to find some tubing that's 7" or 8" ID first. Then there will be no flipping involved.

Good idea.

• 11 years later...

I just used TSP on my Nordic hot tub filter and it is GREATTTTT!!!!!  Used two gallons of water to one cup TSP and soaked for 24 hours.  Then sprayed off with hose on jet and soaked again in fresh water for two hours.  Repeat the soaking again for two hours and sprayed with hose each time.  The filter input area is drawing water like I turned on the disposal in the kitchen.  

Thanks for the great money saving tip.