Shocking

rckymtntim

Hi, I've been using dichlor as a sanitizer in my tub. My question is about shocking. I get a rash when using MPS and I can't use that. Right now I put dichlor in after a soak. Once a week I put in extra to get it above 10ppm. Is this sufficient?

Depends! If you use enough chlorine during/after soaks, you shouldn't even need to shock at all. OTOH, if you don't use enough after soaks, you may need to shock to 20 ppm. The real question is, what is your Chlorine Demand (CD). See below!

Also, continued use of Dichlor (Stablized Chlorine) will raise CYA (stabilizer) which in turn will lower the effectiveness of the Chlorine. A better alternative is to use Dichlor for a week or two to build up CYA to 20-30 ppm. Then switch to regular unscented Clorox bleach, which has no CYA. If you're interested in this method, read my Maintenance link below for more details.

Thanks Nitro. right now my cya is about 40. Can I go to bleach now or should I wait until the next fill?

Sure you can switch now. As long as CYA is at least 20 ppm, you can (should) use bleach.

If you switch to bleach, lower your TA to 50-60 ppm, to reduce pH rise. See Lowering TA link below. Also, add Borates (Proteam Gentle Spa) to at least 50ppm.

Thanks Nitro. right now my cya is about 40. Can I go to bleach now or should I wait until the next fill?

Sure you can switch now. As long as CYA is at least 20 ppm, you can (should) use bleach.

If you switch to bleach, lower your TA to 50-60 ppm, to reduce pH rise. See Lowering TA link below. Also, add Borates (Proteam Gentle Spa) to at least 50ppm.

One more question, approximately how much liquid bleach should I be adding to a 165 gal. spa after a soak. I'm not real good at the ppm stuff. Usually 2 people soak for about an hour. I am using an N2 cartridge and an ozonator.

One more question, approximately how much liquid bleach should I be adding to a 165 gal. spa after a soak. I'm not real good at the ppm stuff. Usually 2 people soak for about an hour. I am using an N2 cartridge and an ozonator.

You need to add enough, so that the next time (should be everyday) you check/add chlorine it's at least 1 ppm. In other words, never let your chlorine drop to zero.

With that said, if it's just you and your partner for an hour, try adding 1/2 cup. Then the next day, check FC to make sure you have 2-6 ppm. If you have over 10 ppm FC the next day, you added too much. If you have less than 2 ppm, you added too little. It takes a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

Lastly, because you're using Nature2, if you add MPS, you can soak with FC a little lower (1-3 ppm).

I read somewhere that the use of bleach is not good for spa filters...is there any merit to that? I'm assuming not because I haven't read anything about that here...

Bleach is no worse for spa filters (or spas) than Dichlor (Granulated Chlorine) IF you have at least 20 ppm CYA in the tub. If you use bleach with no CYA in the tub, it will be too strong. This is one reason dealers and manufacturers frown on using bleach.

Hi, I've been using dichlor as a sanitizer in my tub. My question is about shocking. I get a rash when using MPS and I can't use that. Right now I put dichlor in after a soak. Once a week I put in extra to get it above 10ppm. Is this sufficient?

Are you shocking because it's Saturday, or are you shocking because your HT demands it?

What are your readings? What is your chloramines level?

Shock only when needed and if the chloramines are above .6 or higher. This "shocking" thing has gotten a little out of hand, if you ask me. If you keep your dichlor at the right level, take a shower prior to entering the HT, and don't pee in it, then your sanitizer should be able to do its job.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com/swimming...nance-tips.html

I read somewhere that the use of bleach is not good for spa filters...is there any merit to that? I'm assuming not because I haven't read anything about that here...

Bleach is not a good cleaner of filters. Filter cleaner, TSP or Cascade is better at removing oils and soaps from the pleats. Bleach is fine as a sanitizer in a spa. As was mentioned, it is chlorine like any other form, and at the proper level (like any sanitizer) will not harm your filters in the spa.