Rookie Buyer...vanguard

mnchick

Hi! We a purchasing a hot tub for the first time and live in northern Minnesota. Our choices for local dealers are very limited so we basically have to choose between Hot Spring and CalSpa. After reading many of the forums, we are definately leaning toward the HotSpring. We just got a quote for the 2009 Hot Spring Vanguard for $10000. I know is sounds like a lot, but it does include all the standards plus a cover lift, stone surround, stone steps, moonlight music system, delivery and set up (70 miles). He also listed the freshwater ozone and water care...is that standard? I am so green with hot tub purchasing, but I really got a good vibe from this dealer (1 of 2 HS dealers I visited with) and he seems to stand by his product. Is this a reasonable price to pay? Thanks so much for input!

Hi! We a purchasing a hot tub for the first time and live in northern Minnesota. Our choices for local dealers are very limited so we basically have to choose between Hot Spring and CalSpa. After reading many of the forums, we are definately leaning toward the HotSpring. We just got a quote for the 2009 Hot Spring Vanguard for $10000. I know is sounds like a lot, but it does include all the standards plus a cover lift, stone surround, stone steps, moonlight music system, delivery and set up (70 miles). He also listed the freshwater ozone and water care...is that standard? I am so green with hot tub purchasing, but I really got a good vibe from this dealer (1 of 2 HS dealers I visited with) and he seems to stand by his product. Is this a reasonable price to pay? Thanks so much for input!

That sounds like a great deal because the local HS dealer quoted me $9000 for the Vanguard, $2300 for the steroe (make sure it is the one HS recommends and is the marine grade stereo) $199 for the covfer lifter and approx $2000 for the stone surround. Bringing total to over $13000, so I would say $10k is a superb price.

I guess I did not realize there was an early and late 09. The one I was looking at had the controls on top, which was different then the previous ones I have seen. Also, it is a wireless system for the stereo with the speakers installed in the tub. They pop up. Thanks again.

We are going back today to look at it again and also check out the grandee one last time. not sure if that is within our budget though.

The top side controls is the most up to date Vanguard. You don't have to worry about early or late 2009. The Vanguard was the first model to receive the changes this year. :)

$10,000 for a new 2009 Vanguard, with delivery, & cover lifter, and steps is a good deal. The fact that you're also getting the stone surround and moonlight music on top of that, blows my mind. I don't know how they can do that. :) I'd say go for it.

Also, between Hot Spring and CalSpa, there really is no choice to be made. You're talking buying a Lexus (Toyota reliability with luxury added) versus a Chrysler product (whom Consumer Reports rates low on reliability and won't even be made anymore). Some folks may not like my visual comparison there, but that's tough. No offense if you happen to own a Chrysler product (used to drive a Dodge truck myself). There's no similarity between CalSpa and Hot Spring.

Not to mention, I'm confident the Vanguard will cost a lot less to operate than the CalSpa would when it comes to upkeep and electricity.

If you're comfortable with that Hot Spring dealer, that's also very important. These are the folks you'll rely on for future questions and support should you need it. :)

EDIT: Oh, and yes Freshwater III Ozone is standard on all Hot Spring models.

The top side controls is the most up to date Vanguard. You don't have to worry about early or late 2009. The Vanguard was the first model to receive the changes this year. :)

$10,000 for a new 2009 Vanguard, with delivery, & cover lifter, and steps is a good deal. The fact that you're also getting the stone surround and moonlight music on top of that, blows my mind. I don't know how they can do that. :) I'd say go for it.

Also, between Hot Spring and CalSpa, there really is no choice to be made. You're talking buying a Lexus (Toyota reliability with luxury added) versus a Chrysler product (whom Consumer Reports rates low on reliability and won't even be made anymore). Some folks may not like my visual comparison there, but that's tough. No offense if you happen to own a Chrysler product (used to drive a Dodge truck myself). There's no similarity between CalSpa and Hot Spring.

Not to mention, I'm confident the Vanguard will cost a lot less to operate than the CalSpa would when it comes to upkeep and electricity.

If you're comfortable with that Hot Spring dealer, that's also very important. These are the folks you'll rely on for future questions and support should you need it. :)

EDIT: Oh, and yes Freshwater III Ozone is standard on all Hot Spring models.

Are you trying to imply that Calspas wont be made anymore because if so thats a very poor statement. Both are good companies, and the consumer should be more concerned about the dealer, price, and service they will receive.

Thanks for the replies. We went back to the HS dealer and were pretty much set on the Vanguard and then my husband had to ask what his best price on the Grandee would be. This is an new (controls on top) 09 Grandee and would include steps, lift, delivery and install, and the wireless stereo system. (No stone on the Grandee) He told us 10300. This throws a wrench into our decision. We have the space for a Grandee, but can't get over how nice the stone looks on the Vanguard. 80% of the Time it will be just my husband and I in the tub, but then we think, it would be nice to have the extra space if we did have company! I like the fountain on the Grandee, but that shouldn't make or break my decision. Back and forth we go. I have to decide in the next couple of days as he is holding the tubs for us. Why did my husband even have to ask? Any comments??

Are you trying to imply that Calspas wont be made anymore because if so thats a very poor statement. Both are good companies, and the consumer should be more concerned about the dealer, price, and service they will receive.

I apologize to you Waylon33, I did not mean to suggest to you that Calspa was going to go out of business. My comment was more of a commentary on the status of Chrysler than anything else. :) All I meant to convey was the difference in reliability, efficiency, and quality between brands.

Sometimes it helps people to have some kind of picture or analogy to help them understand.

Thanks for the replies. We went back to the HS dealer and were pretty much set on the Vanguard and then my husband had to ask what his best price on the Grandee would be. This is an new (controls on top) 09 Grandee and would include steps, lift, delivery and install, and the wireless stereo system. (No stone on the Grandee) He told us 10300. This throws a wrench into our decision. We have the space for a Grandee, but can't get over how nice the stone looks on the Vanguard. 80% of the Time it will be just my husband and I in the tub, but then we think, it would be nice to have the extra space if we did have company! I like the fountain on the Grandee, but that shouldn't make or break my decision. Back and forth we go. I have to decide in the next couple of days as he is holding the tubs for us. Why did my husband even have to ask? Any comments??

Generally speaking, the Grandee and Vanguard are really the same spa in two different sizes. The Vanguard is a great 4 to 5 person sized spa, where as the Grandee is 5 to 6. Do you think you'd have 5 people in the spa, simultaneously, or just 4? That's really the difference. Unless of course either of you is like my wife, who likes to soak in a spa without having to touch anyone else (including feet!).

Otherwise, the real differences are the water fall (soothing stream vs Bella Fontana) and the fact that the Grandee has 2 double moto massagers, where as the Vanguard has 1 single moto, and 1 double moto.

I guess the real question is whether you guys want to soak with the neighbors in your spa, or without. ;) Both deals sound pretty fantastic to me though. I honestly wish I sold those two spas with those kind of packages for that little.

I have to decide in the next couple of days as he is holding the tubs for us. Why did my husband even have to ask? Any comments??

Just one comment; your husband is a guy and we are programmed to ask "how much for the bigger one, with the bigger pumps and more jets?"!

In all seriousness I'm not sure what anyone could really say to help you. Part of me thinks "this purchase will last you the next 10 years, go for the gusto and get the one you truly want if you can afford it" but the practical side of me thinks "if its only the two of you get the smaller one and save the $$ difference for something else you need". Its really all about what works for you two.

If you really want to make your husband happy you should get the Vanguard and spend the rest on the 17" TV for the spa or a nice LCD for near the spa. BIG TIME BROWNIE POINTS !!

Funny you say that..He was very closely checking out the tv they had on display at the store. It just happened to be playing a Twins game while we were there. I think he was liking the thought of watching sports while relaxing in the tub. :)

We finally decided to go with the Vanguard...I think that is the right tub for us and the stone surround is so nice. Thank you to everyone that replied. I am sure I will be checking out the chemical section of this site once we get it!

Well congratulations to you both on finding a hot tub. :) It'll be so nice to have a place to escape. :) Look forward to hearing about your hot tub experiences in the future!