Sundance Optima Vs Hot Springs Vanguard

bohai

So we have narrowed down to the above two spas. Optima is $10,100 and includes cover, chems, delivery and steps.

Vanguard is ($8500) 08 model but includes GFCI, cover, delivery. Both charge approx $200 for lifter. We really liked the motomassager in the HS. Actually felt like somone was kneading your back. The only thing we did not like was the fact that the jets at teh calf level were not adjustable and were fairly strong (irritatingly so) but you can also adjust your legs to get away from it.

We really liked both dealers, with time spent with us about equal. We didn't really wet test the Optima bit we tested a smaller version of it, albeit an 08.

Right now nod goes to HS. Any comments out there.? Oh one thing the Sundance guys services his spas ditrectly whereas the HS uses a service, SpaInspector I think.

So we have narrowed down to the above two spas. Optima is $10,100 and includes cover, chems, delivery and steps.

Vanguard is ($8500) 08 model but includes GFCI, cover, delivery. Both charge approx $200 for lifter. We really liked the motomassager in the HS. Actually felt like somone was kneading your back. The only thing we did not like was the fact that the jets at teh calf level were not adjustable and were fairly strong (irritatingly so) but you can also adjust your legs to get away from it.

We really liked both dealers, with time spent with us about equal. We didn't really wet test the Optima bit we tested a smaller version of it, albeit an 08.

Right now nod goes to HS. Any comments out there.? Oh one thing the Sundance guys services his spas ditrectly whereas the HS uses a service, SpaInspector I think.

Did you check out Dimension 1? I am also currently shopping around, and the back massager of the D1's Dynamic Massage Sequencer completely blows the HS motomassager out of the water (pun intended).

Considering the Hot Spring is quite a bit less money, I'd definitely go that direction. Even if they were equal, or the Hot Spring more, personally I think Hot Spring is the better product compared with Sundance. Both are very good quality spas, so you really can't go completely wrong either direction. They are both pretty well insulated, and should run pretty efficient.

My experience has been that the Vanguard would be the more efficient running of the two though. I also like the filtration system difference with the Hot Spring. I spent some quality time with an Optima about two days ago as my Sundance competitor was having a sale over at Costco. I wasn't into the way the seats were formed and such. But that ultimately comes down to opinion and comfort for the individual.

Like I said though, both are good hot tubs. If you can get a 2008 Vanguard though, the controls for the tub are about as simple to use as you can get. No programming what so ever, runs silent & filters 24/7. Also depending on your desire for seating arrangements, the Vanguard has a pretty open bench like seating style. The seats sit pretty comfortable, but they're basically barrier free. So you can move around very easily.

There is only one D1 dealer here, and I am not real happy with his setup. Seems pretty cheesy. He does have an 09 Chairman for 10k. Had a D1 Nautilus at old house, had quite a few repair issues with the circuitry board. Went out twice in 3 years. According to the california energy commision, the D1 is rated very low in terms of R value which reads to less energy efficiency, but I still may take a look.

There is only one D1 dealer here, and I am not real happy with his setup. Seems pretty cheesy. He does have an 09 Chairman for 10k. Had a D1 Nautilus at old house, had quite a few repair issues with the circuitry board. Went out twice in 3 years. According to the california energy commision, the D1 is rated very low in terms of R value which reads to less energy efficiency, but I still may take a look.

Too bad about the cheesy dealer, ultimately you want to know you can count on him should you have any warranty issues. Kinda the opposite here, the HS dealer has a cheesy setup but I know they would provide great follow up service. I am still considering a HS Vista tub as a 2nd choice to the D1 Chairman. The retail price on the Vista is 12,900 Cdn which is cheaper than the D1 Chairman. A new Chairman is listed at 15,900 Cdn. They also have 2 '09 Chairman on the floor, empty, as floor models. I think I'm gonna try to drive a hard bargain and get a good price on one of the floor models. If I can get one of these for a good price, I'll take it. If they don't want to play nice, I will go deal on the HS Vista.

I'm surprised that D1 was rated "very low" in terms of R value, being a full foam tub like the HS. Do you have a link or anything that I could read up on this? I was told something in the range of 15-25 (Cdn) dollars/month to operate a D1 Chairman, averaged out over the course of a year. Of course, that takes in to account our cold Canadian winters, and is dependent upon the amount of usage. I can live with that. Good luck!

IMO, the Optima is the better spa. My dealer sells both HotSprings and Sundance. To me, side by side, there is no comparison. Personally, I do not like the Moto Massage and I do not like the number of filters used in the HotSprings spas. That being said, the Vanguard is a well built spa and if I were to purchase a HotSpring spa, it would be this model. I would not be concerned about service being in house or contracted out as long as they have a history of being thorough and timely.

The $1600 savings on the Vanguard is quite a bit to pass up since both are good spas but you should go over the pros as you see them for each model. I'm surprised you're not also comparing the Grandee which is the next size bigger from the Vanguard and is a very nice spa similarly priced to the Optima.