Mineral Purifiers - Pool Frog?

Guest skid2964

Guest skid2964

I saw this product at the pool supply shop called the "Pool Frog"(made by King Technologies) that uses mineral purification and is supposed to cut chlorine use by 80%. Anyone using this? or somthing similar? it all sounds good, but I wanted real world opinions.

I have a 16,000 gal in-ground, vinyl.

Guest pooldude

Mineral Purification units are a great way to sanitize water. They work by releasing trace amounts of silver and copper which work as sanitizer and algestat. You still need to use chlorine, but at lower levels. I would say it reduces your chlorine usage by about 50% not quite 80%. Keep in mind that you still have to balance the water and shock weekly, but you will use less tablets or granular. You may also want to add borates to the water as well...it will really enhance the quality and feel of the water. Check out Optimizer Plus from BioGuard. Hope that helps.

Guest Suncrest

You might want to check out a product called Rainforest Blue. It is a copper-ion product I use in both my pool and spa. It only takes a small amount once a week with a shock every other week to keep your water crystal clear. No odors, rashes, or faded bathing suits. You can get more information on it and buy it at spafriendly.com.

• 6 months later...

You might want to check out a product called Rainforest Blue. It is a copper-ion product I use in both my pool and spa. It only takes a small amount once a week with a shock every other week to keep your water crystal clear. No odors, rashes, or faded bathing suits. You can get more information on it and buy it at spafriendly.com.

Just realize that any product be it ionizer or liquid that puts enough copper into your pool to act as a sanitizer is also putiing enough copper in your pool to cause staining of the pool and swimmers hair (that imfamous green color) Also ions take quite a long time to kill pathogens and algae when compared to chlorine or bromine and there is evidence that they have no impact on viruses in the water. Ions (copper, silver, zinc) ARE chemicals being added to your pool water so don't be fooled by claims of chemical free sanitation. Your water might look crystal clear but that does not mean it is safe! I personally don't want to take that type of gamble with the health of my family and friends.