Calcification. Can It Be Reversed?

I posted this query on the other side of this forum yesterday with no replies. Then I got to thinking.... Well this is a chemistry question and may likely fit in the chemistry side of the forum better.

Hello all,

I just registered today. Have been lurking and learning for a short time now.

The question I have is in regard to a Caldera Geneva. I can get a 2002 model of this tub for dirt cheap.(likely free) While speaking to the Caldera dealer here in town he suggested we pass on it. He has serviced it over the last couple of years and says it has calcification issues. In his opinion this will cause excess service issues in the years to come. He also led me to believe that the calcification will attack items on the tub that do not contact the water.

In what I can read here and a few other places.... I dont understand the last part of that. How can the water being out of balance damage metals not contacted by the water? Is there a reasonable process to go through to remove the calcium build up?

The only other issue with this is having to move it. The tub is located at a vacation home about 100 miles from my home. (No biggie) The issue is that it must be moved from a covered patio, tilted, slid about 10-12 feet, turned and then up a steep inlcine(45 deg?) of about 30 feet. All the slide, turn etc has to be done in a restricted space between the corner of the house and a 75 ft drop off to the lake below. After reading online etc. I think I can get a few friends and with the help of some equipment moving techniques. We can get it out and loaded on a flat bed. The unload will be relatively simple. Just slide it off trailer right into place.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Calcification can be a problem. The parts that can be affected are the heater, circulation pump, jet pump seals, jets, and more little things. It shouldn't hurt anything not touched by the water except maybe the shell and levers under the cover.

If everything works well now I wouldn't think too much would go wrong if you keep the pH & alkalinity in good shape.

If it's free I would jump on it. It sure sounds like a pain to move it though - that tub weighs 1000 pounds.

Possible costs: Heater probably $300, circ. pump say $200, jet pumps around $450 each and other misc costs that aren't too much.

Good Luck

Calcification can be a problem. The parts that can be affected are the heater, circulation pump, jet pump seals, jets, and more little things. It shouldn't hurt anything not touched by the water except maybe the shell and levers under the cover.

If everything works well now I wouldn't think too much would go wrong if you keep the pH & alkalinity in good shape.

If it's free I would jump on it. It sure sounds like a pain to move it though - that tub weighs 1000 pounds.

Possible costs: Heater probably $300, circ. pump say $200, jet pumps around $450 each and other misc costs that aren't too much.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply Petey.

That is what I was thinking also, but not what I heard from the dealer.

Any other replies are welcome.